Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Buddy Reads: Current & Upcoming > Laura, Jenny & Stacey - Informal buddy read - Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal starting Sept 12, 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 50 (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
This topic is open to discuss Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal

Synopsis
A lively, sexy, and thought-provoking East-meets-West story about community, friendship, and women’s lives at all ages—a spicy and alluring mix of Together Tea and Calendar Girls.

Every woman has a secret life . . .

Nikki lives in cosmopolitan West London, where she tends bar at the local pub. The daughter of Indian immigrants, she’s spent most of her twenty-odd years distancing herself from the traditional Sikh community of her childhood, preferring a more independent (that is, Western) life. When her father’s death leaves the family financially strapped, Nikki, a law school dropout, impulsively takes a job teaching a "creative writing" course at the community center in the beating heart of London’s close-knit Punjabi community.

Because of a miscommunication, the proper Sikh widows who show up are expecting to learn basic English literacy, not the art of short-story writing. When one of the widows finds a book of sexy stories in English and shares it with the class, Nikki realizes that beneath their white dupattas, her students have a wealth of fantasies and memories. Eager to liberate these modest women, she teaches them how to express their untold stories, unleashing creativity of the most unexpected—and exciting—kind.

As more women are drawn to the class, Nikki warns her students to keep their work secret from the Brotherhood, a group of highly conservative young men who have appointed themselves the community’s "moral police." But when the widows’ gossip offers shocking insights into the death of a young wife—a modern woman like Nikki—and some of the class erotica is shared among friends, it sparks a scandal that threatens them all.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31140 comments Mod
r

message 3: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi Stacey & Jenny!

message 4: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Hello!
I am looking forward to at long last starting this book!

message 5: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Hi! I am looking forward to it as well. I requested it from my library and I'm hoping it comes in tomorrow (it's in transit). I'll figure it out.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments If I could type quickly, I would just type it here as I read it. But.......no.

message 7: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I'll wait until your ready Stacey. Shout out when you have the book

message 8: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments If it doesn't come in today I'll just buy the audiobook. No worries. It is supposed to be really good and I do want to start it.

message 9: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments OK ready? Here we go...

Chapter One

Why did Mindi want an arranged marriage?

...There is an italicized word in the first sentence. Sorry, I refuse to type the whole book out for you if I have to stop and italicize things.
You are on your own. How will you ever find out why Mindi wanted an arranged marriage?

message 10: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Jenny, you are too funny. I guess I will have to do something to find out why she wanted an arranged marriage.

message 11: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I have it. Just in time, although it is less than 300 pages so I don't know why you couldn't type it, even without italics.

I will start tonight.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Lol... I will also start tonight!!

message 13: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments How are you doing? Liking the book?

I'm a bit slow this weekend. So far it is interesting but I'm not that far in. It often takes me a bit to get into a book and I feel like that is happening here. I do think the characters are very interesting.

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I didn't get to start. It was a busy weekend that didn't leave a lot of reading time. I am hoping to read some of this today.

message 15: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I'm glad I'm reading it instead of listening. I am in chapter 6 and I am really enjoying it at this point. Lots of questions and I love the women.

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I have 30 mins left in my current buddy read then I can move onto this one:-)

Yay! Glad you like it, bodes well.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Hi!!!!
Sorry, I got distracted by many things.
I am about 4 chapters in, and I love it.
I an picture how this story will go a bit awry, and I am looking forward to it. The ladies! So amazing.

message 18: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I liked the beginning but it was chapter 5 I think that really got me.

I think this will be good for Nikki and I am curious as to what is really going on with Kulwinder. I think I've figured out what she is supposed to believe but I don't think I believe it either.

I understand distraction. Too easy!

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Kulwinder. Did I miss what happened to Maya? Should I reread, or is it not yet explained?

message 20: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments It hasn’t been explained.

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Ok cool. Glad to know I didn't miss it.
Now I want to know. Tell me. Tell me now.

message 22: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments I started and am a little behind. It's interesting to note that no matter what the culture people have expectations of how others should act( i.e. group of girls on the bus)

I got the impression that Maya was murdered.

message 23: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments The end of chapter 3 was unexpected and a little frightening. I'm interested in reading more to see why someone is calling Kulwinder and threatening her not to talk to the police.

message 24: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments How's everyone enjoying the book so far and how far are you in?

I'm a little over halfway and enjoying this so far.
(view spoiler)

message 25: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments End of chapter 11
(view spoiler)

message 26: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments I left my book at work yesterday, so I am not as far as you yet. About a third of the way through. So far, I am finding this very enjoyable, and I do love finding out about a culture very much not my own.

I also wanted to write "Nikki and Jason sitting in a tree..."
There is probably an issue there, I agree. He seems too perfect.

message 27: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I'm about half way through but not quite as far as you, Laura. I'm not sure how far I will get tonight as it will be a bit busy.

I refuse to think badly about Jason. I hope you are wrong, but I am wondering if you grandmother is in the class.

message 28: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments chapter 16
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

message 30: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Laura, I so want to read your spoilers! I've been busy both at work and home and will only be able to get so far. Did you like it?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Absolutely....it's a great title but this book is about so much more than what the title implies.
4 stars

Don't read this one until you finish
(view spoiler)

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments I am halfway through, so I will finish it tonight, probably. At least I remembered to bring it home from work this time.

(view spoiler)

message 33: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Done and going to bed. I will post and rate tomorrow.

I liked this book. Nothing was as I expected going in to it.

message 34: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Ok, I'm behind you both. May finish tonight, tomorrow more likely. I get what you were saying about Jason now and I'm sad.

message 35: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Ok, I actually finished. I liked it a lot. I do agree that some of it was expected but some of it wasn't. I figured out the basics of what happened to Maya earlier but some of the end was a bit strange. I really did like the women. I loved that they showed different view points to traditions. Fun.

message 36: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments Hello! Just checking in to see how everyone is doing. Hope you are well. It looks like you are both busy with your many reading challenges. I will definitely be doing more in the future. I'm always up for another buddy read if you find time.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Hi ya Stacey,
I haven't read much at all since my last big challenge. I'm hoping to have Tana French's new book soon. Up for reading that when I get my copy? I'm looking at sometime after Dec 7.

message 38: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Hi guys!
If you are referring to The Searcher, then I am in. I bought it and have not started it yet.

message 39: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I'd read The Searcher again. Well, listen. I bought the audiobook and listened right after it came out. I love Tana French and am always happy to reread.

message 40: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Yup that's the one. Oh, Stacey, if you want to read it again then it has to be good🙂

message 41: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments It was good. I'm not sure I like it as much as some of the others, but it is also a very different perspective. The only downside to it is that the main character is American so no lovely Irish accent reading to me in my audiobook.

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Does the 8th work for you both?

message 43: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Did either of you read Migrations?

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Laura wrote: "Does the 8th work for you both?"

Yes, that is fine with me.

message 45: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments Laura wrote: "Did either of you read Migrations?"

I had never heard of this one, but the description looks good.

message 46: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments December 8th works. I've never heard of Migrations either. I agree, it looks interesting and the ratings are great.

message 47: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Can you both get a copy of Migrations. I'll see if I can renew mine

message 48: by Stacey (new)

Stacey | 585 comments I put a hold on Migrations a few days ago. I'm #2 in line and there are 4 copies due in the next week. There will be delays for transit and COVID related waits but hopefully soon. If it doesn't come in I will buy a copy. It does sound good.

message 49: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 5274 comments I'll just get it on Kindle. Let me know the date when you all decide on one.

message 50: by Laura (new)

Laura | 9707 comments Sounds good, Stacey can let us know when her copy comes in and we can decide from there.