YA Any Day discussion

Unpopular Opinions > Overhyped YA Books?

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) Any YA books that were so hyped... and also so disappointing? Comment below!

If you're a Six of Crows fan, don't read this.

I hated Six of Crows. *runs away quickly before people get the torches*

message 2: by [deleted user] (new)

I haven't read SoC, I really want to!!

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

City of Bones was a major letdown for me, since one of my closest friends on gr lloooooooves Cassandra Clare...

message 4: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) I've been debating recently whether or not I should read Cassandra Clare. But I've heard her writing is atrocious, so...

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

it really, really is,

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Yeah, I wouldn't read CC if I were you either. I've been trying and failing to reread TMI and have no idea how I read them so many times in my teens, they're so hard to get through. Her descriptions are long, ridiculous and tiresome. If they were taken off to leave just the dialogue, everyone would be better off. Less space for her plagiarism to show itself, haha.

Maja (The Moonlight Reader) (majalovesreading) | 2 comments For me, Fangirl was SUPER overhyped. I didn't like it that much. Before I read it, a lot of people were telling me that it's amazing and wonderful, but then I read it, and it was a major letdown.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

@Maja I read Fangirl a while ago, but I can't remember much, which must mean you're right haha. Did you read her other series that one with Simon and the vampire? I remember sort of liking that...

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Petite Draig wrote: "Yeah, I wouldn't read CC if I were you either. I've been trying and failing to reread TMI and have no idea how I read them so many times in my teens, they're so hard to get through. Her description..."
even the actual story is just...um, what is this mess of concepts? like, okay, supernatural stuff, and then apartment parties and lost family? even her idea of grief was so off-par, and her characters were so annoying and dumb - I'm sorry, but not sorry for dragging this series because I just couldn't deal with it

message 10: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) FINALLY, SOMEONE ELSE WHO THINKS SIX OF CROWS IS OVERHYPED

message 11: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) AspiringAuthor wrote: "Petite Draig wrote: "Yeah, I wouldn't read CC if I were you either. I've been trying and failing to reread TMI and have no idea how I read them so many times in my teens, they're so hard to get thr..."

That sounds unbearable...

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

@AspiringAuthor Yeah, it's really bad. I didn't realise that when I first read it. Did you read the new series? The Emma Carstairs one. I thought at first she'd gotten better but then I read the second book and the way that ended was so out of left field, especially with the grief thing. I won't spoil it, but it kind of felt like 13RW in the last season, trying to cram so much stuff, instead of just focusing on one thing, and also how everyone just has to wind up in a romantic relationship. Drag it all you like, it's well deserved. There are like three love triangles involving the same people in TDA, it's so weird.

message 13: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't plan to read anymore Cassandra Clare, DNFing City of Bones twice and then finishing it was more than enough stupidity for my brain.

message 14: by shea (new)

shea The Twilight Saga

message 15: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany Overhypped books I've read: Harry Potter, Every Heart a Doorway, and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe.

Apparently overhypped books I don't even plan to read: Twilight, Looking for Alaska, ACOTAR

daughterofathenacarli | 13 comments In my opinion Harry Potter is the most over hyped book EVER. Also i thought Twilight was very overhyped

message 17: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) Harry Potter is really overhyped but I love it anyway. Maybe because I haven't read it in years. I would probably hate it now.

The Sword of Orynth (goldryn) | 3 comments Okay...
Harry Potter, Six of Crows, any John Green novel, Twilight, The Mortal Instruments, AFTER. OH MY GOD, AFTER.

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) SoC is definitely overrated. I mean, it's okay....

I finally read two CC books and hated them both. Clockwork Angel and City of Bones. They were trash.

message 20: by Anushka (new)

Anushka (thefeministbooklover) | 81 comments Mod
I think The Fault in Our Stars is too overhyped. Or I am too heartless to not have felt sad. Could be either way.

message 21: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) I'm reading that right now. It's pretty sad and I kind of like it, but it's very pretentious and the characters all blend together.

message 22: by Anushka (new)

It is pretentious for sure! Especially that part where Augustus declares his love to Hazel. How did he even come up with that and said it all without a single pause? And yes the characters blend together. Hazel and Augustus aren't given quite different personalities.

message 23: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) I agree. They monologued way too much and their dialogue was stilted and unrealistic.

message 24: by Anushka (new)

AnnabethChase wrote: "In my opinion Harry Potter is the most over hyped book EVER. Also i thought Twilight was very overhyped"

I don't know about Harry Potter. I loved it a lot as a kid, and still love it. I think the characters, the plot, it's all done quite well. I agree about Twilight. It is way too overhyped, but now almost everyone hates it

message 25: by ♥Milica♥ (new)

♥Milica♥ (bubblewombat) | 5 comments All John Green books minus Alaska, the Perks of Being a Wallflower, Warm Bodies, Fangirl, A Discovery of Witches

message 26: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) I actually thought Looking for Alaska was waaay overhyped, but I can see why some people might like it.