What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Adult/YA Fairy Tale: daughter bakes a bread version of herself for her father to eat

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ettie (new)

ettie (lemonyelis) In the village where the main character (MC) lives, there are hard times (a famine? a war? I don't remember) and young girls are disappearing. Her widowed father marries her step mother, who is horrible to MC. Eventually, step mom convinces MC to go into the woods where she finds the house of a witch, who bakes a baby made of bread. MC goes back home and step mom is mad. MC goes back to the witch's house and bakes a girl made out of bread. She brings the bread girl home, and her father, thinking it's MC, eats it. It turns out the father was the person who was kidnapping and eating the young girls, and the step mom was trying to protect MC by having her leave the house.

This is a fairy tale, not a full book, but it's bothering me that I don't remember the title. I first heard it in a podcast about folklore a few years ago. I'm pretty sure the story comes from a European country.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35769 comments Mod
Bri, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book.

Is this book for adults or teens?

message 3: by ettie (new)

ettie (lemonyelis) Kris wrote: "Bri, I moved your request to the "Unsolved" folder because you're looking for a specific book.

Is this book for adults or teens?"

Thank you for moving it!

I guess it's for either? It's not specifically for adults at least. I think it's from a fairy tale collection, though I'm not sure if the fairy tales are very old (like, folklore that was passed down orally before being written down) or newer (written within the last few centuries). I would be happy with either the name of the collection or just of this story specifically!

message 4: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimiq) | 14 comments Following this thread because I'm sure I've read this story recently too but can't for the life of me remember where!

message 5: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2983 comments Can you remember which podcast you heard it on? We might be able to find the episode in question.

message 6: by ettie (new)

ettie (lemonyelis) To the best of my memory the podcast was “Myths and Legends”, hosted by Jason Weiser. I’ve tried going through the episodes but I can’t find one that matches the story.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 11 comments This sounds like the fairytale “The Witch of Duva” from Leigh Bardugo’s book, The Language of Thorns.

message 8: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 20348 comments The Witch of Duva for Rachel's suggestion.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim (kimiq) | 14 comments The Witch of Duva in The Language of Thorns is where I've read this story! It looks like it was first published in 2017 (?), I had a look around and couldn't find what fairy story it was based on, if it was.