CanadianContent discussion

Archives 2020 > w/o September 11 to 17, 2020

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ❀ Susan (new)

❀ Susan G (susanayearofbooksblogcom) | 4242 comments Mod
Greetings all! September seems to bring a fresh new start, whether we are heading back to school, sending our kids off or just reflecting on our own school days. I hope that the week has gone well and that everyone is safe!

What have you been reading? what was. your favourite book over the summer? What is next?

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments I don't believe I finished anything this week. I currently have a couple of longer books in progress. I am listening to The Valley of Horses (22 hours long) and reading The Huntress (560 pages). I made the mistake of checking out The Huntress on a 7-day "catch of the day" loan, not realizing that it is so long. I don't think I'll get it finished unless I have a great reading weekend!

Allison ༻hikes the bookwoods༺ (allisonhikesthebookwoods) | 2039 comments With respect to my favourite book of the summer, I can’t choose between The Dutch House and Hamnet. I loved them both!

message 4: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 599 comments September already! I'm reading Hidden Valley Road by Robert Kolker and listening to Parkland by Vincent Bugliosi. Both are keeping me interested. I had ordered Mexican Gothic as I love the cover of the book but haven't really dug into it yet. Over the summer I enjoyed Where The Crawdads Sing, The Book of Longings and The Dutch House audio version by Tom Hanks. Happy weekend to everyone.

message 5: by Susan (new)

Susan | 929 comments Happy Friday!

This week I finished The Vanishing Half. What a great read. I found myself really immersed in it and it also provided a lot to think about.

I also read The Dishwasher for the Canada Reads longlist bingo square. I liked things about this one, such as the feeling of how hectic a restaurant kitchen is, but felt it was too long and a bit one-note. Also, it needed a good proofread - too many errors!

I also read The Color of Water: A Black Man's Tribute to His White Mother, which was just okay for me. I thought I would like this one a lot but the structure of it bothered me and I was very distracted by the author (a grown man!) calling his mother "Mommy" throughout.

I'm currently whizzing through Watching You Without Me from the Giller longlist. It's so good! And I've barely started Memorial Drive: A Daughter's Memoir, which is a sad memoir about the murder of the author's mother by her stepfather.

I think my favourite fiction read this summer was Hamnet and my favourite nonfiction read was Lab Girl.

message 6: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments Happy Saturday!

This week I only finished reading Shadows in Time, a new book from the series I like. It was still fun to read.
just started reading The Silkworm and still listening to Official Book Club Selection: A Memoir According to Kathy Griffin.
As to my favourite so far, I have to say American Dirt. It was a compelling read.

message 7: by Wanda (new)

Wanda | 599 comments @May, Credit to you, I see or hear Kathy Griffin's name and I have a visceral reaction. I find nothing appealing about her, so could not read a book about her. That voice drives me...Kudos!

message 8: by ✿✿✿May (new)

✿✿✿May  | 989 comments @Wanda, yeah she has an annoying voice and the book was a lot of name dropping but it was light and I could listen to it while working.