A Court of Books and Magic ✧・゚: * discussion

More Book Stuff! > Most loved/hated romance tropes

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥ (judeduartegreenbriar) | 588 comments Mod
What romance tropes do you love or hate? What are exceptions? What are some best examples?

Some tropes:
Enemies to lovers
friends to lovers
insta love
second chance love
love triangles
forbidden love

message 2: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter (new)

Lucy Tonks | 1157 comments Mod
i love the enemies to lovers tropes. it has to be on of my favourites! and also forbidden love!
my least favourite has to be insta love. i just can't stand it. it isn't realistic at all!

message 3: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

AGREE with everything there. my favourite is enemies to lovers, forbidden is nice if it's done well and not ridiculous. I can't stand insta-love, I mean, it's okay if there's destined soulmates from the start or whatever, but not when they literally get together from the first few chapters.

message 4: by chabe (new)

chabe (darknessbooks) | 34 comments Same ! I love the enemies to lovers and I hate Insta love because is not very realistic

message 5: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter (new)

Lucy Tonks | 1157 comments Mod
yeah, i agree with the things about insta love. it's okay if they are destined to be soulmates, for example daughter of smoke and bone has in my opinion the insta live trope, but it's done right. that's actually the only book where i liked insta love.

message 6: by Amelie (new)

Amelie | 524 comments My favourite is the enemies to lovers trope. My least favourite is probably love triangles, just because they feel so unnecessary and predictable a lot of times.

message 7: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 24 comments I love enemas to lovers, friends to lovers, and love triangles never get old, even though they are overused and overrated, but hey! You gotta love a good love triangle.

Insta love is something that most of us hate. Basically love at first sight. Well, My Life Next Door was good, but is the rest of the story really that interesting after they get together?

message 8: by Becca da (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 24 comments Enemies**

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) Idk I like honestly most romance tropes it’s just a matter of how they play out. My favourite tho is childhood crushes to lovers, friends to lovers, and in TDA when Julian liked Emma for years and when emma liked him back they fell in love with success 🥰. Enemies to lovers is good but it’s rarely done well (for me anyway).

☀︎El In Oz☀︎ (elinoz) On the other hand ppl bash insta love but honestly? Like I feel no one knows teenagers?? Like have u seen the ppl I know and the reasons they get crushes on ppl?? It’s sometimes soooo dumb😂
If anything, insta love is the most accurate trope. I mean seriously most of us probably don’t have someone pining after us for years , or someone who is attracted to us but hates our guts.

message 11: by ♦♣ Queen of Faerie ♠♥, High Lady (new)

I get you. I don't mind instant attraction or if the couple develop feelings the first time they see each other, it just annoys me in books when they GET TOGETHER and are already a couple in every single way really early in the book.

JustMyWayOfThinking | 5 comments I agree my hated one is most probably insta love like its soo unrealistic

message 13: by Isa (new)

Isa | 35 comments When I see a book is enemies to lovers I’m already sold😂😂 but for real, it’s so awesome😍🧡

message 14: by Spriya (new)

Spriya | 242 comments I don't have any strong feelings for any of these romance tropes- I am a staunch believer of the fact that any trope is good if done well.
As for insta-love, I think there's a difference in being attracted to a person vs. falling in love at first sight.

message 15: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments I LOVE these...

Only one bed
Forced proximity
Friends to lovers
Enemies to lovers

But any trope is enjoyable is it's written well!

The only one I HATE is instalove, of course. And maybe the ol' love triangle.

message 16: by DJ2 (new)

DJ2 I don't think I've read any Instalove books, but I love friends to lovers. Second chance love honestly annoys me the most. I would never fall for someone after they cheated on me or anything.

message 17: by andrea (new)

andrea (taylor’s version) | 65 comments I HATE love triangles because the girl always goes for the hotter guy and not the one that is perfect for her. (I sound like an idiot lmao) I also hate Insta love because it’s literally so unrealistic. Lastly, this might be an unpopular opinion, but enemies to lovers is only good when they keep up the witty banter.

message 18: by Party Poison (new)

Party Poison (certifiedkilljoy) I love enemies to lovers. I LOVE IT. Obviously, like anything else, it’s not good if it’s not done well.

I hate love triangles with a burning passion. And insta love is the worst thing in existence.

message 19: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments Porg - AGREED

message 20: by Party Poison (new)

Party Poison (certifiedkilljoy) My brother was reading ash princess and he was telling me about the love triangle between the childhood best friend and the new hot guy and now I don’t really want to read it.

message 21: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments Oh no, that book is so cheesy. The love triangle is the worst thing ever. I enjoyed it when I read it months ago but I would definitely hate it now.

message 22: by Party Poison (new)

Party Poison (certifiedkilljoy) So maybe I won’t read it. I read the first 30 pages as an ebook but then stopped because I hate ebooks. I didn’t like the first 30 pages.

message 23: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 325 comments It actually gets better, surprisingly. I only read it because I got it as a gift

message 24: by Elena (new)

Elena Chaos Queen wrote: "I love enemies to lovers. I LOVE IT. Obviously, like anything else, it’s not good if it’s not done well.

I hate love triangles with a burning passion. And insta love is the worst thing in existence."

Same here! Hate love triangles as well. Insta love is just meh, because how can you love a person you don't even know or have just met?

message 25: by Elena (new)

Elena Love enemies to lovers, though. And forbiden romance too if it's done well. If they REALLY can't be together, like Emma and Julian.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I like Enemies to Lovers but only if its done right because I feel like every book is using that trope so unfortunately, its not as unique anymore. I do like forbidden love sometimes.

Also lovers to enemies!!!