Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > New beta reader for YA or similar genres

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi all,
I’m a relatively new writer/beta reader willing to read manuscripts at any stage they are in as long as I find it interesting. Please feel free to contact me in whatever way you wish, and I’ll try to give a response promptly. Currently I’m focusing more on YA, but im open to reading most genres.

message 2: by Monique (new)

Monique Diane | 7 comments Hi. what are your thoughts on women's fiction with a little over 44,000 words? Manuscript has real life events coupled with fiction. Thanks

message 3: by Monique (new)

Monique Diane | 7 comments Appleseed4k wrote: "Hi all,
I’m a relatively new writer/beta reader willing to read manuscripts at any stage they are in as long as I find it interesting. Please feel free to contact me in whatever way you wish, and I..."
I am not sure if I am writing In the correct section. In any event my manuscript is a little over 44,000 word. This is my first book. Genre: women's fiction. Thanks

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Monique,
I am not a woman, but I would still be willing to read it if you like.

message 5: by Monique (new)

Monique Diane | 7 comments Appleseed4k wrote: "Monique,
I am not a woman, but I would still be willing to read it if you like."
.Chuckles. Thank you .

message 6: by Robert (new)

Robert Plowman | 20 comments Hi Appleseed4k,
Thank you for your offer to beta. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself - educational level, background, etc?

message 7: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 11, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

Robert wrote: "Hi Appleseed4k,
Thank you for your offer to beta. Can you tell us a bit more about yourself - educational level, background, etc?"

As I’ve said, I’m inexperienced, and I don’t have much to say about myself that’s pertinent to reading or writing. However, I will say that I take beta reading seriously, and will put as much effort as I can into giving feedback. I wouldn’t mind sharing more about myself with people who are willing to work with me, but is it customary to share more info in the post itself? (I’m new to this group as well so I wouldn’t know)

message 8: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (96k words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

Five Kingdoms and five species are on the brink of war in the land of Corrail: a territory with nothing to offer but violence and hate. When the Monstro King issues an ultimatum for the other Kingdoms to either join him or go to war, those traits intensify and the possibility of war becomes a reality. 

Trying to stop the Kingdoms from wiping out one another is Raven, a badly burned Mundus who wants nothing more than for the Mundus King to perish, her being one of his victims from his cowardice ruling. Helping her is an anxiety-ridden Shifter named Colt and Richard, an overly strict Farian.

The three different species have a simple plan: destroy the Monstro villages - a Kingdom known for its terrifying nights, brutal King, and horrific subjects - and work their way across the map until a new Mundus Ruler is crowned and the threat of war is gone. However, their plot is halted when Death derails their path and causes them to go into the Mundus Kingdom, not liking them destroying his favorite of the Kingdoms. The trio changes tactics but keeps their initial goal at the forefront: revenge and peace.  

Please PM me :)

message 9: by Abby (new)

Abby Wadlington | 21 comments Hi! I'm currently in need of beta readers for a YA fantasy manuscript. If you'd be interested and available, I'd love your feedback! Whether you could read a few chapters or the whole book, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll leave a blurb down below. Message me if you're interested!

Title: Stellar
Word Count: Roughly 93K
Summary: Lucine Callisto, daughter of an astronomer and hater of all things galactic, discovers that she is descended from the moon. With the help of other Stellars--children born of galactic bodies, she must find a way to stop a soul-stealing Sun descendant from further wreaking havoc in her town.

message 10: by Meg (new)

Meg Thacher | 18 comments Hi!

I'm looking for beta readers of any level for a 15,000-word contemporary, science-based middle grade. This is my first search for beta readers, so I'm happy for any feedback. If you think this would help in your beta-reader training...

Layla is an astronomy-obsessed 5th grader who plans an eclipse expedition for her family that doesn't always go as planned. For kids 7-12. Includes science facts and activities.

I've already incorporated comments from my critique group on the full manuscript, so it's (mostly, hopefully) almost ready to go out the door. I have published nonfiction articles and one book, but this is my first novel.

I don't need detailed edits and critique, just a single read-through + general comments along the lines of the Beta Reader Checklist. PM if this project sounds interesting to you.

thanks!
Meg

message 11: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Waring | 79 comments I appreciate your willingness to help authors and read their work! Here is a synopsis of my YA manuscript I hope you will love to read:

Have you heard of the Dunites? You probably haven't, but you no doubt have felt their effect on your life. Something else people don't know about is the secret they kept about something they found in the remote sand dunes they lived in.

You probably have heard and Ansel Adams, Cecil B Demille, and John Steinbeck? Unknown to most is they would never have been the famous individuals they became if it hadn't been for the Dunites, the special place they lived, and the secret they only knew. The Dunites lived in the miles of sand dunes found on the central coast of California back in the 1920s and 30s. At the time, they were well known, and might be likened to the Hippies of the 1960s, just well ahead of their time. They influenced dance, entertainment, politics and religion, influence we see as a normal part of culture today. Strange people don't know who they are anymore.

How did this small group of odd individuals have such an influence on society?

My manuscript explores these amazing people and the incredible place they lived by means of a modern day, semi fictional 14 year old boy. Tristen discovers his recently deceased father's hidden journal about the Dunites and how he tried to discover their secrets when he was a teenager, but soon finds his discoveries unknowingly continued until his death, perhaps the cause of his demise. The boy begins a search for these secrets in the miles of dunes, a search that intensifies with the discovery of an elusive old man said to be the remaining Dunite, and still living hidden there. The secret this old man knows has the power to change mankind!

There are also many historical and modern photos included, adding a further sense of reality, blurring the line between fiction and non-fiction. If this is a manuscript you would like to read, I would love to get your comments! Please let me know of your interest.

Gene