Around the Year in 52 Books discussion

Archives > Fall '20 Read-a-Thon: The Robinson Family

Comments Showing 1-50 of 92 (92 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (last edited Sep 16, 2020 12:12PM) (new)

Emily Bourque (emilyardoin) | 7391 comments Mod
Hello, Robinson Family!

This week we are taking on Wheel of Fortune! We may be missing Pat and Vanna (for those of us in the US), but this game is guaranteed to be just as much fun.

For more information about our group challenge (including FAQs), check out this thread.

Members:
Rachel
Meghan
Joan
Kelly
Joi
Chelsey
Kathy Jo

How It Works:
As a team, you will track your pages read, audio hours listened to, and books completed. Then, you will turn these into letter guesses to complete the fill-in-the-blank puzzle, Wheel of Fortune style.

You can earn (1) guess by:
- Reading 1000 pages as a team
- Listening to 5 hours of audio as a team
- Finishing one book

The Rules:
1. Each guess earned = 1 letter for the team to guess.
2. You may only guess consonants (no buying vowels in this game - so no A, E, I, O, or U).
3. You must make at least 5 guesses before solving the puzzle.
4. You do not have to have an available guess in order to guess the puzzle. If you guess the puzzle incorrectly, however, you will forfeit your next team guess.
5. When you solve the puzzle, you will move on to the next one!

Each puzzle has a different category that will give you a clue into the book title. Because the formatting is weird on Goodreads, check your group spreadsheet to see your progress of your puzzle. You will also record your progress and earn your guesses on the spreadsheet.

FIND YOUR SPREADSHEET HERE!

PUZZLE 1: BEFORE AND AFTER
This category will require TWO book titles, with one book title ending with the same beginning title word as the second book. The word that the two titles have in common is shaded green on your spreadsheet.

A House in the Sky/Sky in the Deep (But you would only guess the word "sky" once.)

PUZZLE 2: FAMILY
The puzzle is the name of two or more famous people who are closely related, or rarely, the name of a well-known family. In this case, it will be a book that contains the name of a family or multiple people, or will have a family relation name as part of the title (sisters, brothers, etc.).

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

PUZZLE 5: RHYME TIME
The puzzle is a phrase with rhyming words in it or a list of thematically similar things whose names rhyme. In this case, the book title will have a rhyme or alliteration within the title.

PUZZLE 6: WHAT ARE YOU DOING?
The book title will (sort of) answer this question.

Since you made it through the first six puzzles I had planned in record speed, you are now entering our LIGHTNING ROUND!

New Rules for the Lightning Round:
- You must get either 2000 pages, 10 audio hours, or 2 books in order to earn one guess.
- In addition to vowels, you are not allowed to guess R, S, or T!

*All previously earned guesses will carry over into the lightning round.

PUZZLE 7: BEST SELLER
This book has been in the first place spot on the NY Times Best Sellers list.

message 2: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments Sounds like fun. Do we start at midnight our time?

message 3: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments Hello family!
Chelsey- usually it starts when you wake up Saturday until you go to sleep on the last day. If you are on a different schedule (work nights or something) you could probably adjust to midnight, as long as you are consistent.

message 4: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments Good Evening! Can't wait till tomorrow to start. I'm planning out my books now. It doesn't look like we have to be strategic about what books so that makes it easier!

Happy Reading!

message 5: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Joan wrote: "Good Evening! Can't wait till tomorrow to start. I'm planning out my books now. It doesn't look like we have to be strategic about what books so that makes it easier!

Happy Reading!"

We knew the individual challenge would be very specific about what books you can read. We figured we will have a lot of participation with that one since it has a prize attached, so we decided to go easier on the team challenge! Happy reading!

message 6: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Hello Family!! This does seem like an easier challenge. We don't have to coordinate books. We still have a lot of fun ahead of us. I have 2 hours until I can start.

message 7: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments Kathy Jo wrote: "Hello family!
Chelsey- usually it starts when you wake up Saturday until you go to sleep on the last day. If you are on a different schedule (work nights or something) you could probably adjust to..."

Yes I work nights and do most of my reading then. It's easier for me to start at midnight and end at midnight. I pretty much stay on the night schedule even on my off days.

message 8: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments Emily wrote: "Joan wrote: "Good Evening! Can't wait till tomorrow to start. I'm planning out my books now. It doesn't look like we have to be strategic about what books so that makes it easier!

Happy Reading!"
..."

I feel like I'll be more helpful to the team this way. Sometimes I pre-pick out books and then they don't go so well with the team prompts so I think this works out better for me.

message 9: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments I'm up and reading.!

message 10: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Go Chelsey!! 2 books in one day! What should our first letter guesses be?

message 11: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Hi all!

When you decide on which letters you want to guess, please have one team member submit their guess on this thread:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Be sure to include your team name and the letter you'd like to guess!

message 12: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments To be fair, they were books I had started but had more than 100 pages left of. I didn't read 2 entire books today. So the most popular letters if I remember correctly are

R S T L N E so maybe start with one of those.

message 13: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments I finished a book, what do I do next?

message 14: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Joi wrote: "I finished a book, what do I do next?"

Hi Joi,

You enter your information in this spreadsheet:
Team Robinson Family Tracking Workbook

message 15: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Chelsey wrote: "To be fair, they were books I had started but had more than 100 pages left of. I didn't read 2 entire books today. So the most popular letters if I remember correctly are

R S T L N E so maybe sta..."

I like it! I just requested R & S

message 16: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments Meghan wrote: "Joi wrote: "I finished a book, what do I do next?"

Hi Joi,

Team Robinson Family Tracking Workbook"

I have a question, if I listened to an audiobook, do I do pages and hours or just hours?

message 17: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments Joi wrote: "Meghan wrote: "Joi wrote: "I finished a book, what do I do next?"

Hi Joi,

Team Robinson Family Tracking Workbook"

Just hours

I have a question, if I listene..."

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments Finally have a chance to check in! I'm listening to the audiobook of Since You've Been Gone, but won't be able to finish it until tomorrow.

message 19: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Currently listening to Dune and reading The Toll.

Hopefully will have them both done in the next two days.

message 20: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments I recently tried to listen to Dune and got lost. I'm gonna try again with a physical book

message 21: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Chelsey wrote: "I recently tried to listen to Dune and got lost. I'm gonna try again with a physical book"

I get that! I am struggling to get through it now. With all the hype around it and the movie coming out soon I had higher expectations. This challenge may be the only reason that I finish it :) Yay for 14-hour audiobooks. lol

message 22: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments Looks like we got several from guessing R and S. Anyone have any ideas yet?

message 23: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Chelsey wrote: "Looks like we got several from guessing R and S. Anyone have any ideas yet?"

I am guessing that the 2nd and 3rd word in "of the", but I am clueless on the rest.

message 24: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments I will have to list my pages tomorrow, as I am reading now, but wanted to check in. I finished Hilarie Burton Morgan's audiobook today. So I have 3 hours 33 minutes of listening in today. I am currently reading The End of October. We have a good start!

message 25: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Wasn't her audiobook so good?! I picked it up randomly and ended up really, really enjoying it!

message 26: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments I guessed T for us. I also think it will be of and the for those words.

message 27: by Joi (new)

Joi | 40 comments I'm still confused. I changed my 3 to an 11 (I just finished another book, how do you know when you're able to guess a letter?

message 28: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments 9 hours and 15 minutes into Since You've Been Gone, so I'll be finishing it off tomorrow, and hopefully onto another book by the end of the day.

message 29: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Joi, if you look at the bottom of the spreadsheet, I have highlighted the boxes that indicate you have a guess pending (it's available but hasn't been used yet). Your team currently has 3 guesses available to use.

message 30: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments I am working on Agatha Christie's Cards on the Table and hope to finish today. I will add pages when I'm done.

message 31: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

After much thought, I decided to lower the page requirement to more closely match the audiobook requirement.

You may now earn one guess for every 1000 pages.

The first post in this thread has been updated to reflect that change.

message 32: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments Do all teams have a different puzzle?

message 33: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

Yep!

message 34: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments So I think the second book is
Moon Over Manifest

I have a guess for the first book so I guessed L to verify

message 35: by Meghan (last edited Sep 13, 2020 11:29AM) (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Meghan wrote: "So I think the second book is
Moon Over Manifest

I have a guess for the first book so I guessed L to verify"

So I am pretty sure it is:
Killers of the Flower Moon / Moon Over Manifest

Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI / Moon Over Manifest

message 36: by Chelsey (new)

Chelsey Keathley-Jones (keathleyc) | 234 comments That sounds right to me!

message 37: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Emily wrote: "Wasn't her audiobook so good?! I picked it up randomly and ended up really, really enjoying it!"I

I loved it! I was sad that I didn't have it to listen to today. The audiobook I have been listening to today is just dragging.

message 38: by Kathy Jo (new)

Kathy Jo (kjsotr) | 272 comments I finished Cards on the Table and added to the spreadsheet

message 39: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments I finished the audiobook for Since You've Been Gone, and read 156 pages of If I Never Met You

message 40: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments I only read 77 pages yesterday but I got a lot of cleaning done for once!!

message 41: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Hi Team,

Finished 2 books today! Dune (finally) and a quick audiobook called All Systems Red

I also just submitted a guess for puzzle 2: We Were the Mulvaneys

Hope you all are having a great Monday!

message 42: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

PUZZLE 3: ON THE MAP
This puzzle includes cities, countries, and any other specific named geographical feature. In this case, it will be a book title that contains a location, fictional or real.

message 43: by Emily, Conterminous Mod (new)

PUZZLE 4: THINGS
These book titles will all start with the word "The".

message 44: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments I listened to 2.25 hours of audio today. I'm re-reading the Animal Farm. It's not as good as I remembered it though. Will read a little before I go to bed.

message 45: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments I have had a migraine all day. I tried to listen to my audiobook, and I barely got an hour out of it. I just want to scream at the main character. I am listening to My Sweet Angel: The True Story of Lacey Spears. Plus the narrator is speaking with an English accent and it takes place on the East Coast of the US! I will try reading some of my physical book tonight if I can keep my eyes open. Thanks for reading my rant.

message 46: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments 96 pages today of If I Never Met You. Should have more time to read over the next couple of days!

message 47: by Joan (new)

Joan Barnett | 1593 comments I finished Animal Farm. It was a re-read for me. It wasn't as good as I remembered it. I'm trying to re-read some of the classics I read when I was younger. I'm trying to listen to them on audio.

I didn't do any actual reading yesterday. I'll try and make some progress tonight. How is everyone else doing?

message 48: by Meghan (new)

Meghan Chiasson | 65 comments Joan wrote: "I finished Animal Farm. It was a re-read for me. It wasn't as good as I remembered it. I'm trying to re-read some of the classics I read when I was younger. I'm trying to listen to the..."

I try not to reread old classics because it is never the same as I remember. I read Reese Witherspoon's Whiskey in a Teacup: What Growing Up in the South Taught Me About Life, Love, and Baking Biscuits since it was a quick ~3-hour audiobook. It was okay - definitely some recipes I would love to try.

I am working on reading the eBook version of The Toll, but only read it before bed so the page count depends on how sleepy I am :)

message 49: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Brown | 379 comments Meghan wrote: "Joan wrote: "I finished Animal Farm. It was a re-read for me. It wasn't as good as I remembered it. I'm trying to re-read some of the classics I read when I was younger. I'm trying to..."

That is when I mostly read my actual physical book too. My book is getting really good too (The End of October), so I kept pulling that one more chapter bit last night because I was in a section that had 4 and 5 page chapters. The only thing is I didn't want to get up this morning. So my whole day was off, and I didn't get as much of my actually crafting done, which is my business, which is when I listen to my audiobook, I know the irony.

Tomorrow I play catch up though, so hopefully I can catch up on some of those hours and get that book done too. Double bonus.

I hope everyone is having fun. Big shout out to the puzzle guessers. You all are knocking them out of the park!

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 2704 comments I finished off If I Never Met You and just barely got a start on The German House, which I'm really looking forward to picking back up tomorrow. It somehow became one of my most anticipated books this year.

« previous 1