What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

The Machine Stops
This topic is about The Machine Stops
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. SciFi short story (maybe Ray Bradbury?) everyone lives in small units and has everything delivered to them, but the machine/society slowly breaks down. She flies in a plane and says "Close the window. It gives me no thoughts." [s]

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresathegreat) | 6 comments SciFi story set in the future, a "perfect" society where everything is delivered to you and no one has to leave home. The woman has a grown son but little interaction with him.

At one point she travels in a plane and looks out the window at the ruined surface of the planet. She says something like "Close the window. It gives me no thoughts."

Her son, however, is more of a free thinker. He's explored outside the "machine" that is their society, and the earth's surface. He warns her about the injustice and unsustainability, but she doesn't listen.

Slowly the "machine"/society breaks down. Her friend complains about a glitch in her favorite classical music recording; she assured it will be fixed, but it never is and she gets used to it. Eventually everything breaks down. Mother and son are reunited at the end.

Probably Ray Bradbury, certainly of his style/era/genre.

message 2: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 379 comments The Machine Stops by E M Forster

message 3: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresathegreat) | 6 comments YESS!!! It's different than I remembered, but definitely the story I was thinking of. Thank you!