Play Book Tag discussion

Johnny Cash: The Life
This topic is about Johnny Cash
September 2020: Other Books > Johnny Cash: The Life - Robert Hilburn (4 1/2 stars)

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Cora (corareading) | 1311 comments Johnny Cash: The Life - Robert Hilburn

4 1/2 stars

As you can tell from the title, Johnny Cash: The Life is a biography of country music singer Johnny Cash. It starts out during his childhood in Dice, Arkansas and continues throughout his career until his death in 2003. Cash was an interesting man. I found the dichotomy between his deep religious convictions and some of his personal flaws (drugs/womanizing) interesting. This biography tells the whole story, both the good times and the bad. Nothing was sugar coated at all. The author talks to a lot of people including Cash's children, friends, and coworkers. The audio book was also very well done. The only thing missing was the actual music (there were many times the reader read the lyrics to the songs). The book definitely had me searching for the various songs being discussed on Spotify. I would definitely recommend this for anyone who is interested in biographies or Mr. Cash.

message 2: by Holly R W (new)

Holly R W | 1170 comments He's a very interesting man who has left a big legacy. While I didn't read this particular book, I read "Composed" by his daughter, Roseanne Cash. She can see the humanness of her Dad while not minimizing his flaws. And, I loved the movie, "Walk the Line".