SFBRP Listeners discussion

Dune (Dune, #1)
This topic is about Dune
Trailer for the new Dune movie!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Mark (new)

Mark O'neil (countsessine) | 18 comments Well it's a SFBRP favorite book,
So what do you all think of the trailer for the new movie?

Luke Burrage (lukeburrage) | 285 comments Mod
Mark wrote: "Well it's a SFBRP favorite book,
So what do you all think of the trailer for the new movie?"

I don’t watch trailers of movies I think I might watch.

I know there will be no story or plot spoilers, but I’d much rather my first experience with sand worms is in the context of the whole movie, and on a big screen, not in a trailer and on my phone.

Ryan | 42 comments I'm a big fan of Dune, but I was a little underwhelmed by the trailer. All the imagery looks great and the cast looks great, and it seems like they're trying to be faithful to the novel, but I couldn't get much of a read on the film beyond that. It was just a bunch of quick shots thrown together, with a soundtrack that didn't really fit, IMO. I mean, I understand the historical reason for the Pink Floyd song, but it felt awkward. There will be future trailers, though, and I'm very much looking forward to the movie.

What was your take, Mark?

message 4: by Mark (new)

Mark O'neil (countsessine) | 18 comments Your right Luke - lots of us would agree - for the best experience when watching a film, you should definitely avoid trailers (and reviews a lot of the time as well).
Go in and get immersed in a fresh experience.
This was a bit of an exception, because I guess I have been a little obsessed with the idea that a new Dune movie was coming out.
To me the David Lynch movie was a masterpiece even if it changed the story and added "weirding modules", "Heart plugs" etc and other crazy Lynchian touches but the look of the movie in general is amazing.
Anyway since I saw some stills from the new film and found out it had a great cast - I had to watch the trailer.
Visually the new movie looks stunning, we knew Denis Villeneuve was going to do a great job in this area.
The Atreides soldiers in their battle armour and short swords look epic, while the Harkonnen’s are suitably sinister.
How about ornithopers with fluttering wings? Enormous spacecraft?
And the little bit of worm footage – absolutely stunning.
The shots put together have a bit of an arc – Caladan, meeting the Reverend Mother (never fun), fighting on Arrakis, and Paul becoming a leader - but its all over the place.
Yes the soundtrack – Hmm it starts of with a bit of Eno type ambient music (Brian Eno did some of the soundtrack in the Lynch film) – very nice and ends with a Pink Floyd track.
Maybe it will grow on us Ryan?
But overall – pretty damn good.
The spice must flow!

message 5: by Mark (new)

Mark O'neil (countsessine) | 18 comments Ryan and other SFBRP Listeners - the 2nd Dune trailer is out....
The costumes!
The enormous starships!
The gigantic scale of the production
Ornithopers that look like Dragonflies
Harkonan soldiers looking suitable sinister in Black and committing atrocities
Sardaukar solidiers in white getting ready for battle
Fremen in the desert with a spice harvester looking awesome
Crysknives dripping in blood
Fight scenes with shields
Lady Jessica, Duncan, Dr Yueh, Chani, Liet Kines, The Baron, The Beast, Stilgar, Gurney, Thufir, Piter - Their all in the trailer!
The attention to detail looks amazing.