Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Empire's Reckoning
This topic is about Empire's Reckoning
Book Issues > combining two listings

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Marian (new) - added it

Marian Thorpe | 10 comments A reader has added this book (I think) using my name without a middle initial. Because I was told specifically this was not allowed (the lack of middle initial) my books are listed under Marian L. Thorpe, although my author name lacks that middle initial. However! can the listing and review shown be combined with the proper listing: Empire's Reckoning by Marian L. Thorpe - and this duplicate listing removed, please.

message 2: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16316 comments The record was imported from Amazon, which means your name needs to be corrected there.
I've fixed the book record and combined it with the others.

message 3: by Marian (new) - added it

Marian Thorpe | 10 comments Thank you for combining the two files. But my author name is not wrong on Amazon: it's correct, whereas Goodreads insisted I couldn't have a middle initial without a period after it. So why can a record with my correct author name be imported from Amazon, but I can't use that name directly on Goodreads?

message 4: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16316 comments Because initials properly have a period after them.

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 41701 comments Mod
Marian wrote: "So why can a record with my correct author name be imported from Amazon, but I can't use that name directly on Goodreads?"

Goodreads and Amazon have different policies. But import feeds are automated and don't know the difference.

message 6: by Marian (new) - added it

Marian Thorpe | 10 comments I understand that. I object to Goodreads telling me my legal author name is incorrect. What do they do with e.e.cummngs?

message 7: by Scott (new)

Scott | 16316 comments Marian wrote: "I understand that. I object to Goodreads telling me my legal author name is incorrect. What do they do with e.e.cummngs?"

The same.