Play Book Tag discussion

The Fault in Our Stars
This topic is about The Fault in Our Stars
September 2020: Psychological > Fault in Our Stars by john Green - 4,5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Diana H. | 294 comments Starting reading this book, I was quite skeptical about it. I read a lot of good reviews and for some reason, it frightened me. After all, the topic of the book - cancer - isn't simple too.

But I was excited about how easy it was to read this novel. Of course, I felt sorry for the main characters, sometimes it was even painful to read. But at the same time, the story is full of optimism. I liked Gus’s and Grace’s views of their disease so much. Rather than complain constantly about it, they found the strength to laugh at their sad situation.

I was a little bit disappointed by the fact John Green made up the books Gus and Grace advised each other. I wanted to read them too. Later I understood that this was needed to make a fictitious author a character of the book. And all these things (fictitious book, fictitious author) helped to understand teens’ characters more fully.

Though The Fault in Our Stars is really sad and tragic, it made me smile. And it also made me understand that no matter how difficult my problems are, I still can find something positive in my life.

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments I enjoyed this too. Unfortunately, some parents weren't happy with it in our public library so I had to go to bat to keep in on the shelves.

message 3: by Joy D (last edited Sep 11, 2020 01:52PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joy D | 3421 comments Wow, Barbara, I can't imagine having to go to bat for it. They made a movie after all, and many of the kids saw it. In fact, one of my son's friends saw the movie 14 times.

I really loved this book, even though I don't read much in the young adult genre.

message 4: by Barbara M (last edited Sep 11, 2020 02:02PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2221 comments @Joy, If there hadn't been flack, I might not have read it but I did know about the movie and the praise for the book so I was happy to do that. They argued against it being in the young adult department because kids as young at 13 go in there for book and there is (gasp!) sex talk. Like they don't see much worse on TV or talk about it with friends.

According to a bio I read John Green worked as a student chaplain at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus, Ohio where he got the inspiration to write The Fault in our Stars. I also read Looking for Alaska, another challenged book by Green. His work counseling teens gave him insight to many of his books. Looking for Alaska is about teen suicide. He makes difficult subjects readable for YAs to adults.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Diana, I had similar reactions to the book. I think I actually searched for Grace's favorite book before I finished this book. Then when I learned more about the fictitious author, it made sense. I knew that John Green is too nice of a guy to write about a fellow author that way. I really admire him. I saw him on TV once talking about his own struggles with anxiety (and OCD maybe?).

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Barbara M wrote: "@Joy, If there hadn't been flack, I might not have read it but I did know about the movie and the praise for the book so I was happy to do that. They argued against it being in the young adult depa..."

Don't these people know that putting a book on a banned list just makes teenagers more interested in it?

I didn't expect to like his books, but they're very good. The teenage angst level is high, but in the books I read, it was appropriate to the situations.