What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > (1960s?) non-fiction, psychology/philosophy, militarism/modernity, not Marshall Berman but similar?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Etta.n (last edited Sep 10, 2020 07:20PM) (new)

Etta.n | 93 comments This could have been written as late as early 70s but I think it was somewhat older. At first I thought it might have been by Marshall Berman but ultimately I think it was someone less radical, somewhat, than him.

What I most remember is the author saying "No well-adjusted adult could ACTUALLY be having a crisis or meltdown about other younger adult's hair styles or clothing, so why they're expressing moral panic about this, is because they've been put in the impossible position of being unable to express the real sources of their own neurosis. They've taken on this (alienated / false consciousness but not those exact words?) of identifying with wage labor, the work ethic, nationalism, militarism, but they can't admit that these things haven't actually served them well after years of investing in them?"

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 35166 comments Mod
Etta.n, that's a good start. Copy more plot details from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of book requests.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)