What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA Fantasy. Girl is forced to leave her small town by her father after he dies. Spoilers ahead.

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Makayla (new)

Makayla | 1 comments I feel I read this book from 2010 - 2016.
This is a YA Fantasy.
I read this book years ago. The book cover for this was red, leather maybe, with gears that you would think of seeing in an old clock, and it was a hard cover. For some reason I keep wanting to say the title starts with clock or alchemy but I could be way off. I've remembered these two words for years though when thinking of this book.

This girl is a young adult. I don't remember her of her father's names. I remember these three toy sized mechanical robots. They would help their maker, the father, and the girl with small tasks. One of them was broken though and needed to be fixed. Her father starts off alive but is dying. I believe that he gives her this magical book before he dies. It might have been apart of his will otherwise. It is to be filled with other people's stories. He dies and she tries to fill it by not leaving her small town. This wasn't the point of him giving her the book. It was to force her to go on an adventure and explore the world. She ends up giving most of her money to the other people in her small town in an attempt to fill the book, ut the villagers never did anything interesting with their lives. Some filled paragraphs but it eventually turned into the loves only filling a couple lines. I remember this phrase strongly. They only filled a couple lines. It was something along this line. But I cant remember the exact phrase.

She gets on a train. I remember the train conductor giving her his story. He touched the book and his story filled the pages. He was in love with a girl. She was wanting to go on big heists. The got on a train with a lot of money on it and I think she abandoned him. He did so much for her but she left. I'm pretty sure all they have to do is touch the book.

She gets to the city and goes into a bookstore. This story is about torn love between and man and wife. The bookstore was filled with books but inside was a mirror. A magical mirror. The husband and the wife used to go through the mirror. The mirror would transport them to other dimensions and worlds I believe. Something went wrong when they both went to go back in. The got seperated. I'm not sure which spouse is lost inside another world but the other "would go in every day looking for them". This is not an exact quote but the other spouse I recall saying something really close to this. They did go back in every day.

The whole book is pretty much told in stories about other people's life.

message 2: by Kris (last edited Sep 11, 2020 04:10PM) (new)

Kris | 35106 comments Mod
Makayla, that's a good start. Copy more plot details (e.g., what makes this a fantasy?) from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of YA fantasy requests. -- I added the genre and a spoiler alert to the header.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2682 comments It looks like OP also posted this on Reddit (same wording), where it's been solved - the book was Clockwork Lives by Kevin J. Anderson.
https://www.reddit.com/r/whatsthatboo...