Play Book Tag discussion

Maybe You Should Talk to Someone: A Therapist, Her Therapist, and Our Lives Revealed
This topic is about Maybe You Should Talk to Someone
September 2020: Psychological > Maybe You Should Talk to Someone-3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 479 comments I’m not much of a nonfiction reader these days, but when I couldn’t find any novels on the “psychology” list that I either hadn’t read or wanted to read, I remembered this one, which one of my book clubs was going to read just before everything shut down. I guess that opener could go either way: I’ll say again that I’m not much of a nonfiction reader. The therapist who wrote this has an interesting background, including a writer for Hollywood TV and a couple of years of medical school before she found her passion as a clinical psychologist. She also writes a column now for the Atlantic. The book begins with her breakup with Boyfriend, which leads her to start therapy herself. The book is composed of chapters alternating between stories of her own therapy sessions and those of several patients we follow. She writes well, clearly loves her work, and is brimming with compassion and wisdom about the human condition. If I needed a therapist and could get hold of her I’d like to be her patient. But that would be to talk about ME, and I confess I’d probably find that more interesting than reading about either her journey to get over Boyfriend (and more) or her clients, interesting and diverse as they are. I kind of rushed to be finished with this book. Someone who really likes psychology might very well love it. She’s a good writer but in the interest of honesty I’ll give it a 3 and wish others happy reading.

message 2: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5222 comments Thanks Susan, that's a helpful review. I saw a TV show like this that was really interesting years ago, especially the therapist's therapy sessions. I do like psychology, so I plan to read this eventually. I imagine real life therapy sessions could be really boring, especially if you can't relate to the character's issues.

Susan Lewallen (susanlewallen) | 479 comments I hope you'll enjoy it, Nancy. I think you identified part of my problem- I didn't identify with character's issues.