What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Don't Point that Thing at Me (Charlie Mortdecai #1)
This topic is about Don't Point that Thing at Me
SOLVED: Adult Fiction > SOLVED. Mystery, British, 1970s/late 1960s. Trilogy of comic mysteries, written in first person voice, about a posh, amoral art thief with a thick-headed body guard. At some point they roll up a painting & hide it inside the parts of a Rolls Royce. [s]

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nelson (new)

Nelson  Harst (hairy_limes) | 2 comments Dry and sardonic narrator, somewhat in the style of Evelyn Waugh. I read these in Penguin paperbacks that must have dated to the 1970s. Champagne and gin featured heavily?

message 2: by Genesistrine (last edited Sep 11, 2020 02:14AM) (new)

Genesistrine | 362 comments The Charlie Mortdecai books by Kyril Bonfiglioli. The first one is Don't Point That Thing At Me

Ed: the film with Johnny Depp is beyond terrible. Avoid it at all costs.

message 3: by Nelson (new)

Nelson  Harst (hairy_limes) | 2 comments Yes that is it! Many many thanks, was driving me crazy...

and Wow had no idea of the movie.... that sounds like bad news (I'd welcome a John Malkovich cast version tho).

message 4: by Genesistrine (new)

Genesistrine | 362 comments Much as I like Malkovich I think Charlie needs to be fatter, posher and more English. I've been watching What We Do In The Shadows recently and I can see Matt Berry being a good Charlie....

(Also the 4th book was finished by Craig Brown after Bonfiglioli died and is pretty meh IMHO.)