The Sword and Laser discussion

The Ten Thousand Doors of January
This topic is about The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Ten Thousand Doors of January > TTDoJ: Satisfying mid-way reveal

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Colin Forbes (colinforbes) | 483 comments Just wanted to comment in passing that the big reveal at the mid-point was very nicely done. Perhaps I'm just not observant enough, but I didn't see it coming.

(view spoiler)

That's just the point I've reached, so obviously I don't know where it goes next, but my appreciation of the book went up a notch right there.

message 2: by Meghan (last edited Sep 10, 2020 03:12PM) (new) - added it

Meghan | 10 comments I had the same experience with it last night. Did not anticipate it and felt (view spoiler) when it was revealed.

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments I think I saw it coming around the time the name (view spoiler) was introduced, so my satisfaction was more about being proved right :D

Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind) (fictionstateofmind) | 14 comments I never guess things like this but I guessed it a few lines before it was revealed it truly shifts the direction of the story.

Trike | 8317 comments Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind) wrote: "I never guess things like this but I guessed it a few lines before it was revealed it truly shifts the direction of the story."

That’s the sign of good writing, whether in books or films. You let the reader feel smart by giving them just enough info so they twig to the reveal moments before it happens.

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) exactly right trike. it's done in mysteries alot. when it clicks give the reader such a satisfied feeling they become a fan!

Seth | 316 comments Lee wrote: "exactly right trike. it's done in mysteries alot. when it clicks give the reader such a satisfied feeling they become a fan!"

Right! It isn't hard for an author to prove that they're smarter than I am. It's much harder for an author to make me feel smarter than I am, and when it happens I always appreciate it.

William | 404 comments I saw it coming in for the same reason Dominik did, but still enjoyed it. I guess I was just appreciating the author's skill.

message 9: by Jen (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jen | 214 comments Kai Charles(Fiction State Of Mind) wrote: "I never guess things like this but I guessed it a few lines before it was revealed it truly shifts the direction of the story."

Same for me!

Daryl | 88 comments So far this book has been a treat (I'm a little more than half way through at the moment). I'll admit it dragged a little around the 25% mark but the build up to the reveal tying it all together hooked me.

I can't help but get a Pan's Labyrinth vibe from this while reading - equally joyful, fantastic, and real-world horrifying. Maybe this belongs in a new thread, but I'd love to see Guillermo del Toro take on this in film form.

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) Daryl wrote: "but I'd love to see Guillermo del Toro take on this in film form.

i would pay to see that in theaters.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3917 comments I think Alix Harrow would be ecstatic to take the money. Bring on the bundles of cash!

Aaron (oldwindways) | 125 comments I was listening to the audiobook, so the distinction between (view spoiler) was less obvious. I assumed (view spoiler) from pretty early on. I may be mixing up the order of events in my head in hindsight, but I am pretty sure that we learned (view spoiler) as well. That difference was a little easier to hear, but I definitely did a double-take and had to rewind and check if the narrator has said what I thought she has said or not.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 2846 comments Colin wrote: "Just wanted to comment in passing that the big reveal at the mid-point was very nicely done. Perhaps I'm just not observant enough, but I didn't see it coming.

[spoilers removed]

That's just the ..."

I don't know when this first occurs but I figured it out the first time (view spoiler) That didn't ruin it for me though.

Elizabeth Morgan (elzbethmrgn) | 274 comments Jenny (Reading Envy) wrote: "[spoilers removed]

Also, given (view spoiler). Again, didn't ruin it, just left me waiting for it to happen.

message 16: by Ryan (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 10 comments I had an inkling that Ade was the mother from the very beginning, due to the time frame being generational. Yule being the father took a little longer, but I saw it coming well in advance. There were enough hints to make the leap. And yes, it was satisfying to figure it out in advance. Just the right difficulty, if not a tad too easy.