AMERICAN HISTORICAL NOVELS discussion

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Secret #5 THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON: Where would you give anything to go right now, (to escape the threat of covid?)
and why?

(Answer below to enter this week’s drawings for THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON.)

Where did the London’s escape to in 1906?

Around the World in their own boat that they built, called the Snark! Jack London left his ex-wife and two young daughters, his mother, and his new Beauty Ranch to sail the world while he was able to do it!

They built a 43 foot ketch and hired a handful of crew, none of whom had sailed the oceans before! It was not long before all of them were sick, and left the helm to Charmian and Jack. The sun broiled their skin, there was little to eat except the fish they caught and ate raw. Jack taught himself to navigate by the stars, while Charmian shimmied up the mast to look for ships and landmarks and sharks! Still, both of them worked on books about the journey.

Finally, they reached the paradise of Hawaii. Can you imagine Hawaii in 1906? Jack and Charmian ate poo poo and poi with the natives, learning their dances and joys of life. They visited the Leper Colony of Molokai and were stunned by the joy these people exhibited with their flesh eaten away. It was as if they wanted to live every last morsel of life given to them.

Charmian and Jack sailed on to Fiji and the Soloman Islands where they encountered head hunters and cannibals. Jack contracted a horrible skin disease and kidney problems which forced them to sail home to the San Francisco Bay Area, or they would have continued sailing around the world.

All the while Jack wrote the stories with Charmian’s help, and Charmian wrote on her own as well:
• Tales of the Fish Patrol (1906)
• Moon-Face and Other Stories (1906)[107]
• Love of Life and Other Stories (1907)[107]
• Lost Face (1910)
• South Sea Tales (1911)
• When God Laughs and Other Stories (1911)[107]
• The House of Pride & Other Tales of Hawaii (1912)

“In what other land save this one is the commonest form of greeting not "Good day," nor "How d'ye do," but "Love"? That greeting is Aloha--love, I love you, my love to you. Good day--what is it more than an impersonal remark about the weather? How do you do--it is personal in a merely casual interrogative sort of a way. But Aloha! It is a positive affirmation of the warmth of one's own heart-giving. My love to you! I love you! Aloha!
JACK LONDON, My Hawaiian Aloha

THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072KRP7MN
GOLD IPPY, the world’s largest book competition!
American Fiction Awards Finalist
AMAZON BEST SELLER historical fiction
WIKI’s 12 Marvelous Novels about the 20th century https://wiki.ezvid.com/m/kNkCn2l8yxVIl
Best First Novel Award Center for Fiction nominee,
Pulpwood Queens Book of the Month
Spirited Woman Top 12
Please stay in touch with my newsletter and website!
THE SECRET LIFE OF MRS. LONDON, by Rebecca Rosenberg
https://www.facebook.com/rebeccarosen...
https://www.rebecca-rosenberg.com

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments I just love all this background! Kentucky to see my 94-year-old Papaw. Miss him and we missed out opportunity to go this year.

message 3: by Rebecca, Champagne Widows, 2021 (new)

Rebecca Rosenberg (rebeccarosenberg) | 270 comments Mod
Thanks, Amanda. 94 year old Papaw. I hope he is still in Kentucky?

message 4: by Dyana (new)

Dyana | 189 comments Pour escape is our home. We feel safe here.

message 5: by Amanda (new)

Amanda (drpowell) | 376 comments Rebecca wrote: "Thanks, Amanda. 94 year old Papaw. I hope he is still in Kentucky?"

He is! He is my maternal grandfather and my Mom was just visiting this past weekend for her brother's wedding. It was lovely to see pictures of Papaw in a suit and tie. So many memories over 94 years. Can you imagine?