Historical Fictionistas discussion

Favorite HF Authors > Maurice Druon

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Bernard Cornwell might be the king of page-turning historical fiction but, in my opinion, Maurice Druon is the real master storyteller in this genre.

His seven-book Accursed Kings series mainly centres around the later Capetian kings of France. They were originally written in French but are all available in English. I heartily recommend them.

Something I particularly love about Maurice Druon's books is that they invariably contain little pearls of wisdom about life. He was clearly an exceptionally thoughtful and intelligent man, as well as a great writer.

message 2: by Abigail (new)

Abigail Bok (regency_reader) | 652 comments I haven't heard of Druon. Thanks for this testimonial, Beau! Sounds like writing I would enjoy.

message 3: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Hurley (fiona_hurley) | 247 comments I just discovered the Accursed Kings series this year! I agree he is a master storyteller.

George RR Martin is a big fan of the books, crediting them as one of the inspirations behind A Song of Ice and Fire.

message 4: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 27 comments Those sound interesting, I think I'll hunt for them

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Abigail and Kellie, looking at some of your favourite books, I think you'll like him.

Fiona, I've seen the George RR Martin testimonial too. Coming from somebody whose own books have kept me up until 2am (with work the next day), it's a big endorsement.

message 6: by Jerry (last edited Sep 12, 2020 07:22AM) (new)

Jerry Bennett | 85 comments It must be close on 60 years now since my father gave me a book that he had borrowed from the local library. “Have a read of this chap,” he said. “I think you’ll like him.” The book was ‘The Iron King’ by Maurice Druon, and I became hooked on historical fiction from then on. I re-read them about ten years ago, and although I found his writing style a little dated, they were still enthralling. They remain my chief inspiration for my own writing efforts.

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Jerry wrote: "It must be close on 60 years now since my father gave me a book that he had borrowed from the local library. “Have a read of this chap,” he said. “I think you’ll like him.” The book was ‘The Iron K..."

My mum introduced me to Maurice Druon, when she bought me 'The Iron King' as a birthday present about 15/ 20 years ago. I enjoyed it so much that I read the rest of the series too. (Bernard Cornwell is the author who initially got me hooked on historical fiction, the decade before that.)

I know what you mean about MD's writing style seeming slightly dated but this actually appeals to me. Anyway, his little pearls of wisdom are worth the cost of the books by themselves.

By the way, Jerry, I just had a look at some of your own novels. They look really interesting and I'll give them a try at some point in the near future.

message 8: by Jerry (new)

Jerry Bennett | 85 comments Beau wrote: "Jerry wrote: "It must be close on 60 years now since my father gave me a book that he had borrowed from the local library. “Have a read of this chap,” he said. “I think you’ll like him.” The book w..."

Just wait a short while Beau. Both books are being revised as a result of some professional editing, although the plot lines remain the same. I have drafted the next 2/3 as well and hope to introduce them in 2021/2. I’m also planning to put up a supporting website.

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

Jerry wrote: "Beau wrote: "Jerry wrote: "It must be close on 60 years now since my father gave me a book that he had borrowed from the local library. “Have a read of this chap,” he said. “I think you’ll like him..."

That all sounds very exciting, Jerry. I've started following you on here so will keep my eyes peeled.

message 10: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 17 comments Beau wrote: "Bernard Cornwell might be the king of page-turning historical fiction but, in my opinion, Maurice Druon is the real master storyteller in this genre.

His seven-book Accursed Kings series mainly ce..."

I read The Iron King many years ago, but never read the rest of the series. For some reason, I am now missing the last two books, but I want to binge read them as I feel that it would be so better to read these books back to back.

While I can appreciate what George R.R. Martin did with his forward for this book series, I don't like what he did at the same time. Martin is a fantasy writer and therefore the vast majority of his fans are fantasy readers. There was a discussion many years ago about how Martin's forward did a lot of damage to the books because he sent his fans to this series with the expectation that they'd be fantasy novels, and not historical fiction.

I personally feel that these books should have been recommended by another historical fiction author like Bernard Cornwell or even Sharon Kay Penman. There are a lot of historical fiction authors that have their works set in the medieval ages and would have advertised the book far better than Martin did. For the longest time, the Accursed Kings series was getting more one and two star ratings just from Martin's fans saying that it was boring because it was a historical fiction series.

I am glad to see that there are people discussing these books. I haven't seen many people even mention these books. So to find others that love the series is always a plus.

message 11: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -12 comments I haven't read any Bernard Cornwell books (yet), but I loved the Accursed Kings series. My father gave me the first 3 books many years ago, and I reread the entire series a few years ago. It was as good as the first time!

message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Tiffany, binge reading the whole series sounds great. The final book is written in a very different style to the others and was not as highly rated, but I still really enjoyed it.

The George RR Martin recommendation was definitely a double-edged sword. I loved George's Song of Fire and Ice books but it's a real shame if some of his fans were disappointed with Maurice Druon's books. They might not be fantasy but they're beautifully written, exciting, informative and contain some real pearls of wisdom.

Ioana, when you come to read Bernard Cornwell's books, I'd like to recommend the Sharpe series to you. I started with Sharpe's Rifles and went from there, as the books set in India hadn't been written at the time. They're not as highbrow as The Accursed Kings but I loved them. They're real page-turners.

message 13: by Ioana (new)

Ioana | -12 comments Beau wrote: "Ioana, when you come to read Bernard Cornwell's books, I'd like to recommend the Sharpe series to you. I started with Sharpe's Rifles and went from there, as the books set in India hadn't been written at the time. They're not as highbrow as The Accursed Kings but I loved them. They're real page-turners."

Thanks for the recommendation, I hope to start reading him soon, everybody seems to enjoy his books.

message 14: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 17 comments Ioana wrote: "Beau wrote: "Ioana, when you come to read Bernard Cornwell's books, I'd like to recommend the Sharpe series to you. I started with Sharpe's Rifles and went from there, as the books set in India had..."

Bernard Cornwell does a very great job with his research in many of his books. I started off with the Sharpe series, but can highly recommend his 'Warlord Chronicles'. They are a historical Arthurian trilogy that is similar to Helen Hollick's 'Pendragon's Banner trilogy' and Jack Whyte's 'A Dream of Eagles Cycle'. If you love Arthurian stuff, you'll love Cornwell's version of Arthur.