8123 reading discussion

book from childhood

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Camilla (new)

Camilla Andrieto (camiafe) | 13 comments Mod
what books do you consider important for your childhood?

message 2: by Laís (new)

Laís | 4 comments I really loved “Le petit prince”!! I actually read it again last year and it’s so crazy to remember what was I thinking when I first read!!

message 3: by Camilla (new)

There's this common knowledge saying you're supposed to read Le Petit Prince in three different stages of you life and see how your vision on it has changed. i just read it while I was in high school, so I feel like I missed the chance to know what kid me would think about it

message 4: by Lavin (new)

Lavin (lavinassad) | 15 comments Mod
I’ve never heard of that one! I’ll have to look into it.

I think my childhood series was His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman. I’ve read the trilogy at least once a year since I was maybe 7 and each time is different. There’s always some new dimension to add based on what I’ve learnt since the last reread. And now there’s a BBC adaption so it’s gaining popularity again!

message 5: by Camilla (new)

Lav, i know the tv show but never read the books.

for me, it was definitely the harry potter saga. i read philosopher's stone as soon as it came out in Brazil and it was just that for me, i was 9 yo and it was just so special

message 6: by Lavin (new)

The books cover so many themes, I could go on for ages about them!! And there’s more books based on the same world so there’s lots to explore.

Harry Potter was such a huge part of my childhood as well, and it was always in the background in the culture anyway, being British. I have a whole shelf dedicated to HP and 16 pairs of HP socks........ which one was your favourite book?

message 7: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (frankie13) | 13 comments Mod
I haven't read Le Petit Prince, but I do remember reading His Dark Materials when I was younger, they're great! And I loved Harry Potter too.

I remember finishing work at 11 and queuing for the midnight release of the last book.
My favourite was The Prisoner of Azkaban, though, I read that so many times that my copy is literally falling apart

message 8: by Camilla (new)

mine is definitely the half-blood prince! I've read it 6 times before deathly hallows even came out lol

message 9: by Laís (new)

Laís | 4 comments Harry Potter was my childhood, my cousins and I used to pretend we were the characters and play with “magic”!!

I’m reading again the trilogy, now it’s “the Order of the Phoenix”!!

message 10: by Camilla (new)

what about the movies? do you like the adaptations? do you think of them as two different ways to tell the story? what is your favorite?

message 11: by Frankie (new)

Frankie (frankie13) | 13 comments Mod
I can never decide about the movies, I enjoy them but they never quite matched up for me.
Also reading the books can take me straight back to being a kid but when I watch the movies now I feel really old!

message 12: by Lavin (new)

my fave book used to be prisoner of azkaban but i spend a lot of time thinking about the order of the phoenix now, i can appreciate the politics a little more. i do prefer the books but the movies have their own place in my life too! my favourite movie is definitely the third, the cinematography is [chef’s kiss]