Play Book Tag discussion

From Sand and Ash
This topic is about From Sand and Ash
September 2020: Other Books > From Sand and Ash - Amy Harmon - 3.5 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments This book begins with a prologue that reveals the hero and heroine are in serious danger, which left me interested in reading more to find out how they got to that point.

Raised together since they were children, Eva and Angelo have regarded each other as siblings, or at least cousins. They have always loved and supported each other, but once they become adults they realize their affections have become even stronger. They have major differences that affect their love. Angelo is an American and Catholic, while Eva is an Italian Jew in pre-World War II Italy so readers already know bad things are on the horizon. Despite their love, Angelo becomes a priest, leaving Eva to pursue her music. However, the years that pass do nothing to diminish their feelings for one another.

The author did a wonderful job of immersing the reader in Italian culture and Itaky in the 1940s. There was a great deal of attention paid to character development and the advancement of the plot, but for some reason, I just didn't enjoy it as much as I thought I would. Despite the death, heartbreak, grief, danger, intrigue and suspense, I felt like some of the interaction between the characters was overly dramatic. I did appreciate knowing more about the Catholic Church’s role in saving Jews in Italy.

From Sand and Ash was a solid historical fiction novel with major romantic elements that showcases a cruelty that is impossible to imagine. I think most fans of WWII historical fiction will enjoy it.

message 2: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8841 comments So you are the second to finish. I also give it 3 1/2 stars. They were part of it I liked, and parts that I thought could’ve had more in depth. But I was really glad to have read it. And agreed that the church is in monasteries don’t get enough credit for saving Jews and helping with documents and arms and transport.

message 3: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 10, 2020 11:16PM) (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5559 comments I was planning to read this with you all, but I think I might have to wait a little longer. I read many Amy Harmon books already this year, and I read too many WWII books last year.

I did like the two WWII books set in Italy that I read, and I was happy to learn that many Italians risked their lives to help Jews escape or hide. I liked learning about the Church's role in the resistance too.