What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA/mid-2000's (maybe): 15-year-old vegan female protagonist makes some older friends, falls in love with pizza delivery driver, gets heartbroken (?)

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bluejay (new)

Bluejay | 3 comments I can't speak to the quality of the book and I don't know when it was written, but I'm fairly certain I read it about 15-18 years ago. It's written in first-person POV, and I think it was present-tense, but I'm not positive. The protagonist might be taller than her peers with a flat chest, she might or might not be named Iris, her love interest drives a hearse, she orders vegan pizza at some point, and I feel like there were some judgmental undertones when Protagonist described her new (older) friend, whose name might have started with Z or had a Z in it (IIRC she was jealous, but it came across as kind of sl*t-shamey in re: her short skirt and makeup). The overall plot, I believe, begins when she goes to stay with a cousin or aunt or something, and I'm 85% sure her love interest actually does the right thing in the end and rejects her since she's too young for him, but I read a lot of heartbreak books around that time so there's a chance I'm getting that mixed up with another one. This does not come up in any resources that have netted me some obscure stuff. Did I hallucinate this???

message 2: by Becca (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2054 comments Parts of your description sound like Vegan, Virgin, Valentine by Carolyn Mackler.

Mara, the protagonist, is tall, flat-chested, vegan, and she starts dating her (older) boss at the coffee shop that she works at. The book starts when her niece, V, who is one year younger than her, moves in. She's quite judgemental of V, especially because V has had sex. I can't find any evidence of a pizza delivery boy, vegan pizza, or a hearse, though.

message 3: by Bluejay (new)

Bluejay | 3 comments Becca wrote: "Parts of your description sound like Vegan, Virgin, Valentine by Carolyn Mackler.

Mara, the protagonist, is tall, flat-chested, vegan, and she starts dating her (older) boss at the ..."

Sorry, this isn't the one. I only remember the book at all because he drives a hearse (she makes a big deal out of it), and for some line about how it's hard to find pizza made with soy cheese. Thank you though!

message 4: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16142 comments Truth or Dairy?

There are also sequels, but the MC might be too old.

message 5: by Bluejay (new)

Bluejay | 3 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Truth or Dairy?

There are also sequels, but the MC might be too old."

This isn't the one either. I don't think she'd ever even had a crush before, and school wasn't a part of it -- she was either on summer break or doing home-school or just uninterested in sharing details about school. The details are fuzzy. Thanks though!