The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Best SF movies 2010s

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments I saw this article, The Best Sci-Fi Movie From Each Year In The 2010s, Ranked, and I have a slightly different list.

https://screenrant.com/best-science-f...

My list, with a not-very-strict-adherence to “Science Fiction”:

2010: Inception (runner up: Tron: Legacy)
2011: Captain America (ru: Rise of the Planet of the Apes)
2012: Looper
2013: Gravity
2014: Edge of Tomorrow
2015: The Martian (ru: Mad Max: Fury Road)
2016: Arrival (ru: Star Wars: Rogue One)
2017: Thor: Ragnarok
2018: Upgrade
2019: Avengers: Endgame

Wikipedia has a decent list of the major SF films released each decade. Here are the 2010s: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_...

message 2: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Tassie Dave | 3532 comments Mod
Nice list. I'm unfamiliar with Upgrade, but the rest are solid.

I'd have 2018 as Black Panther (ru: Avengers: Infinity War)

message 3: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments Upgrade is so good, low budget SF at its best. It’s one of those where you go, “These coincidences are ridicu— ohhh!” It’s brutal, too.

message 4: by G.R. (new)

G.R. Paskoff (grpaskoff) | 55 comments Since you are including superhero movies as SF, what about the post-apocalyptic Wolverine movie (Logan) in 2017?

Also, Men in Black 3 in 2012.

Kind of glad you didn't list any of the 2010's era Star Wars movies.

message 5: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Wow I only saw Inception in that list. I am so bad with movies.

message 6: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments G.R. wrote: "Since you are including superhero movies as SF, what about the post-apocalyptic Wolverine movie (Logan) in 2017?"

I like Logan, but I looove Thor: Ragnarok. I own both but while I’ve rewatched Logan 3-4 times, I’m pretty sure I’ve seen Ragnarok at least 50 times.

message 7: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments terpkristin wrote: "Wow I only saw Inception in that list. I am so bad with movies."

Now you have hours of entertainment ready to go!

I’m pretty sure you’ll nitpick Gravity and The Martian for their inaccurate science, which might be entertaining enough, but I’ll bet you’ll love Arrival.

message 8: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments Oh I completely missed The Martian on the list. I saw that too. I liked it more than I liked the book. ;)

Most of the MCU is uninteresting to me. It looks like the stuff I did watch from MCU and mostly enjoyed didn't make the list.

My sanity will be better if I skip Gravity. ;)

message 9: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

Gravity is great. A fair bit of artistic licence.

Is it sci-fi though? It uses current tech in a realistic setting.

message 10: by terpkristin (last edited Sep 10, 2020 05:47PM) (new)

terpkristin | 4142 comments From what I’ve heard, realistic is a stretch (heard from colleagues though I also hear that Dr. DeGrasse-Tyson has a lot to say too).

;)

message 11: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments Tassie Dave wrote: "Gravity is great. A fair bit of artistic licence.

Is it sci-fi though? It uses current tech in a realistic setting."

It is SF, because it takes place in the future relative to when it was filmed.

I don’t recall the specific details, but the shuttle in the movie doesn’t exist. If you go by the average number of shuttle launches each year, the mission number stated in the film was about 5-6 years from the final mission of Atlantis, which was STS-135 in 2011. So the events take place in 2016 or 2017. Also, the prototype jetpack Clooney uses is more advanced than the current ones.

It is the kind of SF that Asimov called “tomorrow fiction”, as in ”ripped from the headlines of tomorrow.”

Many people have mentioned that Hubble and ISS are in different orbits, so it would be nearly impossible for Clooney and Bullock to reach the station, but the altitude difference is only about 90 miles and we know nothing about the EVA backpack other than it’s experimental. Plus, the ISS was originally going to be in a nearly identical orbit as Hubble’s until objections were raised. In a universe where the space shuttle program continued and Hubble was still being serviced, it’s not like it’s a stretch to assume either the jetpack has sufficient range or the two things are closer together.

Also, the Chinese space station in the movie doesn’t exist yet. It looks like the plans for the one China is launching in 2021, originally planned for 2017, which fits the movie timeline. The name of the movie station is Tiangong, which is the same as China’s two previous small Skylab-sized orbital platforms. A few months after the movie came out China announced they were changing the naming conventions of their space program, but until then it was assumed the larger station would be Tiangong-3.

terpkristin wrote: "From what I’ve heard, realistic is a stretch (heard from colleagues though I also hear that Dr. DeGrasse-Tyson has a lot to say too).

;)"

Yeah, Tyson needs to not critique movies. He’s really bad at it, because he misses details. He criticized Sandra Bullock’s character for being a medical doctor in space, when she clearly states she’s an engineer whose work was shunted off to a hospital basement. He’s so intent on finding fault that he forgets to pay attention. Then there’s the fact that not all doctors practice medicine... which he should know, being a non-medical doctor himself.

He keeps going on about how he told James Cameron that the night sky in Titanic was wrong, and he slammed the VFX team for simply using a mirror image of the stars. Cameron decided to then change the sky for the anniversary home video release.

But the problem is that Tyson missed the art. When Rose looks up at the sky, it is clearly from her POV — her exhausted, freezing, delirious POV — and the stars form the shape of the Heart of the Ocean necklace. The thing everyone was trying to find, and the Macguffin of the whole dang movie. The guy has no poetry in his soul.

Whatever inaccuracies Gravity has, one thing is undeniable: it is both exciting and gorgeous.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3948 comments Clooney hung from a pole in zero G, Trike. HUNG. Didn't hit the end and rebound. HUNG. IN ZERO G. Major plot point. HUNG.

FEH!

...Okay, I didn't hate the movie. Plenty of good points. But...HUNG! IN ZERO G! Bleah bleah bleah!

message 13: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "Clooney hung from a pole in zero G, Trike. HUNG. Didn't hit the end and rebound. HUNG. IN ZERO G. Major plot point. HUNG.

FEH!

...Okay, I didn't hate the movie. Plenty of good points. But...HUNG!..."

The ISS is spinning, very slightly. It’s subtle, really subtle, but it’s there. It’s shown by the different angles of the parachute cord and the tether in the long shot. They definitely should have made it more clear.

https://youtu.be/gaUHtBxW0zA

RJ - Slayer of Trolls (hawk5391yahoocom) | 381 comments I like your list Trike. Personally, I would have swapped Arrival and Rogue One. I also think I would have chosen Blade Runner 2049 instead of Thor Ragnarok. And I haven't seen Upgrade or a lot of other Sci-Fi releases in 2018 so I would have picked Deadpool 2 which is the only one I saw (but now I want to see Upgrade).

message 15: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments Upgrade is really good. Dark, but good.

message 16: by Louie (new)

Louie (rmutt1914) | 881 comments FYI- Upgrade is getting a sequel TV series

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12408730/

message 17: by Trike (new)

Trike | 8472 comments Louie wrote: "FYI- Upgrade is getting a sequel TV series

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt12408730/"

There’s a lot they could do with the concept, that’s for sure.

message 18: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new)

I just finished watching Upgrade. Good recommendation Trike.
Those fight scenes are brutal and well filmed.

I didn't realise it was filmed in Australia. As much as they tried to disguise it as a random US city, I'd recognise Melbourne anywhere. It's weird watching cars driving the wrong way up a major highway in a city I know well.

It is available free to watch on 7Plus (for Aussies only)
https://7plus.com.au/upgrade