Play Book Tag discussion

Verity
This topic is about Verity
September 2020: Psychological > Verity - Colleen Hoover - 4 Stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 1957 comments My bookclub read a romance a few years ago by Colleen Hoover and it still remains the least favorite book we have ever read. I was looking for a psychological thriller, this had great reviews, and I got it as a free ebook, so decided to give her another shot.

The story introduces us to Lowen Ashleigh, a reclusive and socially awkward writer who has been approached to finish the last three volumes of a nine part series written by Verity Crawford. Apparently she's been incapacitated in a car accident and they don't want her fans to know.

Lowen meets Jeremy, her handsome and charismatic husband, who invites her to stay at their home while she researches Verity's notes. The Crawfords have been overwhelmed by so many tragedies. In addition to Verity's accident, their twin girls died within a few months of each other, in unrelated accidents.

The day she arrives, Lowen finds a copy of an autobiography Verity was writing. We move back and forth between chapters from Verity’s brutally unsettling manuscript of her marriage to Jeremy and Lowen’s present, where she is becoming comfortable living at the Crawford house.

There is no question the story is engrossing. I love an unreliable narrator, but readers should know there are some disturbing depictions of child abuse. There were lots of twists and turns that made me nervous, uncertain who to trust, but also intrigued. I might have to recommend it to my F2F bookclub next year.

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5014 comments Olivermagnus wrote: "My bookclub read a romance a few years ago by Colleen Hoover and it still remains the least favorite book we have ever read. I was looking for a psychological thriller, this had great reviews, and ..."

I had a hard time getting over one plausibility issue, but otherwise I found it an exciting read. Verity's story/autobiography was really engrossing and disturbing.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 8305 comments Read this one on the first day of the year on an airplane. Was perfect for a four hour plane ride, and I greatly enjoyed it and found it interesting. Perfect for psychological!