Play Book Tag discussion

The Cat Who Said Cheese (Cat Who... #18)
This topic is about The Cat Who Said Cheese
September 2020: Other Books > (Poll Ballot Tally) The Cat Who Said Cheese by Lilian Jackson Braun - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by annapi (last edited Sep 09, 2020 09:17AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

annapi | 4980 comments I read one book of this series a long time ago and never picked up another until now. Reading this one for Poll Ballot Tally, I know I will probably not open another unless I'm using it for a game.

It's not a bad book, it's just ho-hum for me. I'm not the target demographic - this is obviously geared for cat-lovers, and though intellectually I can appreciate that Koko and Yum-Yum's antics are cute, they don't do anything for me. This business of Koko's "psychic" abilities that are tongue-in-cheek yet not really just make me roll my eyes a little. The mystery was okay, but it seems to me things just happen to Qwill and he goes along for the ride instead of really solving the mystery.

Occasionally I enjoy a nice, quiet, slow read about life in a little town, but I'm not a fan. I enjoyed the story arc about the missing cookbook, and loved the resolution of the murder, but the pacing was just too slow for my taste and the attempt at the end (which is obviously the gimmick of the series) to link the cats to plot points that are clearly clues to the seasoned readers of this author just came across to me as... a bit cheesy. (No, I will not apologize for that blatant pun.)

message 2: by Theresa (new)

Theresa | 6692 comments My sisters and I read all of these - I would buy it, read it and then pass it along. I think my niece ended up with some of them too.

We all loved them but they are total fluff - generally nearly non-existant mysteries, the books revolving entirely around the characters and the cats.

message 3: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments Ok- somehow I never realized this series is different than the The Cat Who Went to Paris books.