NZ Intermediate School Librarians discussion

Lark
This topic is about Lark

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments Short but sure packs a punch. This novella is the 4th in a series about brothers Nicky and Kenny but it's no problem to be read as a standalone story. It is a gripping, suspenseful survival story, with the caring relationship of the two brothers (and their dog) at the heart. Nicky & Kenny set off for a day walk they have not done before on the Yorkshire moors. They are ill prepared, miss the first few buses so set off much later than they should, and then a snow storm takes them by surprise (but anyone else could have seen coming - including us the reader). The sense of foreboding is strong! They get lost and then things get a whole lot worse. I read it in one sitting as I was so invested in the outcome. Beautifully poignant ending. The publisher is Barrington Stoke and the book is ideal for reluctant, struggling, or dyslexic readers - it states the reading age is 9+, interest age - teens. But I loved it. I think it would make a good read aloud although there is some language to be aware of. ;-)

message 2: by NZBook (new)

NZBook Girl | 6 comments Such a wonderful book. I read it after it won the Carnegie medal this year, not even realising it was part of a series, and ended up reading the rest of the books in reverse order. Each successfully stands alone but it was wonderful to enjoy them all. Highly recommended, not just for reluctant readers, it's one of my favourite reads this year.

Penny | 25 comments I absolutely loved this story... and have just persuaded our Y8 team to buy a class reading set of it... hopefully to use before our students head off to camp in February!!

I love the fact that this powerful story is dyslexia friendly, and short, and so is even more accessible to many!

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeboniface) | 123 comments Yes! All of our budgets are spent for this year, but I would like to get a class novel set of Lark next year - and I need to buy the other 3 titles in the series :-)

message 5: by Linley (new)

Linley | 5 comments Jane,
Sounds like the Lark series might work for some of our YA readers too. I shall have a look for it. Thanks.