Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Professional Beta & Editor Offering Free Samples

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (gabbycd) | 85 comments Hi everyone!

I have a free week before my next few beta clients are ready. I thought I'd use this time to offer free beta reading samples to those wanting to get a taste of my beta style, or who just want the opening of their novels looked at. All I ask is for a small testimonial once you've received your feedback.

For beta reading, I'll provide a 1000 word sample.
For copy editing, I'll provide a 500 word sample.
I'll make comments directly on your manuscript using track changes, and I'll also include a few paragraphs at the end to summarise my overall thoughts.

I have a Ba in English and Creative Writing, and have worked as a freelance editor and writer for two years. You can read testimonials from recent clients on my website, or if you wish to find out more about my editing services: gcdeditorial.wordpress.com

If you're interested in having me look at the first 1000 words of your novel, please comment below a little bit about your work and I'll be in touch. I'll only be doing this between the 14th-21st of September.

I hope we can work together to make your novel the best it can be!

Kindly,
Gabby

message 2: by Ryan (new)

Ryan Weingartner | 20 comments Hi Gabby,

I am seeking a beta reader for my 58,000 word contemporary, character-driven debut novel, Rescued. Paul has reached that great phase of life called middle age where it seems like he’s giving a lot and not getting enough back. In his marriage, his relationship with his two young daughters, and in his job he is disgruntled and making sure everyone knows. His only solace is at the bar with his friends who are too old to be going to the bar every night and in his car rides.

Paul finds out about someone who rescued him as a baby. Maybe this is the gap in his life that could lead to much sought after contentment. He embarks on a journey to meet this mysterious man, but instead wakes up in a prison in Sarajevo, with no reasonable chance of escape. Tortured and starved, Paul sees life differently than he once did. But will he survive to live out his new convictions? Will he ever meet the man who rescued him?

Rescued is a heart-warming illustration of the importance of humility and gratitude for personal change. Think of a modern-day Scrooge.

Contact me at ryanweingartner@gmail.com. Thanks!

message 3: by Nastasia (new)

Nastasia Bishop | 51 comments Hi Gabby,

I'd be very interested in your service if you're not already too overwhelmed!
My novel is a fantasy, hovering between adult and YA but probably a little more YA leaning.
Here's a WIP outline, let me know if of any interest. Thanks for your consideration! :)

Title: Kingdom of Stardust

"In an age where natural, magikal ability has been lost, only a physical spark can bring out the power within.

In the district of Sula, Zola Norsova is grieving her Grandfather's death when she is captured by the sovereign. King Lucan believes her to be his long lost niece but when the rebel group known as The Kasi find her missing, they'll do everything they can to get her back.
But does Zola want to be saved? The more she learns of her Grandfather's mysterious past, the more she is drawn in to the delights of the royal city of Jorvik.

Two generations back, Zola's grandmother, Mika, has risen up the ranks in The Kasi rebel group to become leader of the division of saboteurs. When a falling star leads to a chance encounter with a Prince-on-the-run, does she stay true to her rebel cause or risk everything to help him? "

Told in multiple viewpoints across two generations. The story is full of magik, Viking inspired fashion and fantasy technology.

message 4: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (gabbycd) | 85 comments Ryan wrote: "Hi Gabby,

I am seeking a beta reader for my 58,000 word contemporary, character-driven debut novel, Rescued. Paul has reached that great phase of life called middle age where it seems like he’s g..."

Hi Ryan,
I’ve sent you an email. Let me know if you haven’t received it.
Thanks!
Gabby

message 5: by Gabby (last edited Sep 10, 2020 03:33AM) (new)

Gabby (gabbycd) | 85 comments Nastasia wrote: "Hi Gabby,

I'd be very interested in your service if you're not already too overwhelmed!
My novel is a fantasy, hovering between adult and YA but probably a little more YA leaning.
Here's a WIP ou..."

Hi Nastasia,
Your novel sounds really great and you’ve already intrigued me! I’d love to provide you with a sample of the first 1000 words. Feel free to email you sample to me by early next week and I’ll have my feedback returned to you within a few days: gcdeditorial@outlook.com
Thanks again!
Gabby

message 6: by Wil (new)

Wil Cooper | 25 comments Hello. I’m interested in sending the 1k word sample of my sci-fi novel, LITTLE GREEN MEN.

Blurb:
As nineteen-year-old Alex Dash cares for his six-year-old twin siblings, Henry and Annabelle, he is forced to navigate a post-cataclysmic world full of hostile entities. Dogs that seem more aware than they ought to, sentient plant-life, nomads aimlessly wandering...
Rescued by a farming colony called Community, Alex meets Eva Monroe. She is mysterious, but also familiar somehow.
When Alex sees strange lights in the fields, he begins asking questions that no one seems willing to answer. Together, Alex and Eva discover a secret. A secret that no one in Community saw coming...or did they?

message 7: by Gabby (new)

Gabby (gabbycd) | 85 comments Wil wrote: "Hello. I’m interested in sending the 1k word sample of my sci-fi novel, LITTLE GREEN MEN.

Blurb:
As nineteen-year-old Alex Dash cares for his six-year-old twin siblings, Henry and Annabelle, he i..."

Hi Wil,
I no longer offer the special from this post. However, you can head over to my other post or email me for more details on my paid beta reading plans: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

message 8: by zainab (new)

zainab (cardansrose) | 9 comments Hi, Gabby. I’d be very interested in your services!

The Sultan’s son has been murdered. Death by poisoned kebab. Amira, the Sultan’s niece, knows who served the deadly meal—her friend, Rayan. He feigns innocence as a delicate prince from another kingdom but she’s discovered he’s a trained assassin. He swears to slaughter Amira’s beloved cousin if she tells anybody. Amira agrees not to, and the Sultan kicks out all the foreigners from the capital of the empire. Rayan seemingly disappears.
After improving her skills with the sword, Amira battles gangs who coerce money from defenseless citizens. She protects the poor, haunted by her inability to protect the Sultan’s son. The Sultan finally reopens the capital borders. He declares Amira will be married to Rayan, in order to unite his empire with Rayan’s kingdom. Even worse, Rayan wants Amira to spy on her palace or else he will murder her cousin. Amira must choose between being a pawn to destroy her own family's empire or risking her closest relative being killed. But after witnessing the poverty on the streets, Amira starts to question her own loyalty to her family.
THE WARRIOR OF THE WINDS is a young adult fantasy novel based on South Asian culture, complete at 95,000 words. It is written as a stand-alone novel but has the potential for a sequel. The first chapter is attached to the submittal form below. Thank you for your time and consideration.
my email is drawfavs@gmail.com. Contact me when u can :)