What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Song for a Scarlet Runner
This topic is about Song for a Scarlet Runner
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. Children's/YA Fantasy. Young girl goes on an adventure with a fox-like animal. [s]

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rubi (last edited Sep 08, 2020 07:11PM) (new) - added it

Rubi (rubi_pg) | 3 comments I read this book in 2015, I'm pretty sure, I read it for school, I'm from Australia. I'm not certain on when it was published but I think it was probably 2000 onward.
I think the age range would be classed middle grade maybe YA, I was eleven when I read it.
I can't remember heaps about the cover other than I think it was some shade of green and had a fox looking animal kinda in a semi-circle on it.
what I can remember of the plot was that the main character lived with her sister I think and their aunt would come by occasionally from a village or city with food. I think they lived really far from the nearest city/village and I'm pretty sure their house was in a swamp.
there may have been a witch involved, but that might not be true. I remember the girl and the fox animal being on a boat a lot, travelling down rivers.
*spoilers ahead*
they end up getting to a city and it has four (maybe more) rivers coming out of it, like a compass. throughout the whole book the main girl thinks the fox-like animal is a male but turns out it is a female and just wanted to get back to its babies.

message 2: by SBC (new) - rated it 3 stars

SBC (essbeecee) | 879 comments Could it be The Old Country by Mordecai Gerstein?

message 3: by Rubi (new) - added it

Rubi (rubi_pg) | 3 comments SBC wrote: "Could it be The Old Country by Mordecai Gerstein?"

no sorry

message 4: by Becca (last edited Sep 09, 2020 01:51AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2218 comments The cover doesn't quite match your description, but maybe Song for a Scarlet Runner by Julie Hunt? The fox-like creature is called a sleek, and there's a city called The Hub which is the centre of the world, with roads and rivers running out of it in every direction. The author is Tasmanian.

message 5: by Rubi (new) - added it

Rubi (rubi_pg) | 3 comments Becca wrote: "The cover doesn't quite match your description, but maybe Song for a Scarlet Runner by Julie Hunt? The fox-like creature is called a sleek, and there's a city called The Hub which i..."

omg yes! thank you, I've been looking for it for so long.