YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Anxious People
This topic is about Anxious People
BUDDY READ: Contemporary/Romance > Anxious People by Fredrik Backman - September 10th 2020

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments This is a poignant comedy about a crime that never took place, a would-be bank robber who disappears into thin air, and eight extremely anxious strangers who find they have more in common than they ever imagined.

Viewing an apartment normally doesn’t turn into a life-or-death situation, but this particular open house becomes just that when a failed bank robber bursts in and takes everyone in the apartment hostage. As the pressure mounts, the eight strangers slowly begin opening up to one another and reveal long-hidden truths.

As police surround the premises and television channels broadcast the hostage situation live, the tension mounts and even deeper secrets are slowly revealed. Before long, the robber must decide which is the more terrifying prospect: going out to face the police, or staying in the apartment with this group of impossible people.

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Love the idea of this - just managed to order it and it's due for delivery tomorrow. Will start as soon as I can.

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Ch 13 (view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Chapter 20
(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Ch 13 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Up to ch12. Have to confess I’m a little perplexed. Was there ever anyone there? How can a room be covered in blood but there be no body?

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch12. Have to confess I’m a little perplexed. Was there ever anyone there? How can a room be covered in blood but there be no body?"

I was thinking the same!

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Chapter 40
(view spoiler)

Sheena | 21 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch12. Have to confess I’m a little perplexed. Was there ever anyone there? How can a room be covered in blood but there be no body?"

(view spoiler)

Sheena | 21 comments Chapter 32 (view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Sheena wrote: "Chapter 32 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Ch 27 (view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments — Massiel wrote: "Chapter 20..."

(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Chapter 60
(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Ch 27 ..."

(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "— Massiel wrote: "Chapter 20..."

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Up to ch32. Fascinating vignette style to the story-telling and each of the characters has something I want to know more about. Can’t predict where this is going but it’s quite relaxing to read.

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch32. Fascinating vignette style to the story-telling and each of the characters has something I want to know more about. Can’t predict where this is going but it’s quite relaxing to read."

Totally agree! One of the things I liked the most about the book.

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Finished
(view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Ch 51 (view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch32. Fascinating vignette style to the story-telling and each of the characters has something I want to know more about. Can’t predict where this is going but it’s quite relaxing to read."

Agree! The characters are the best part about this book

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments — Massiel wrote: "Emma☀️ wrote: "— Massiel wrote: "Chapter 20..."

[spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Yeah! (view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Ch 51 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Yeah! [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Ch 13 [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Sheena wrote: "Chapter 32 [spoilers removed]"

There's definitely a fine line between the extreme emotions - and there's a sense of pathos created for each, even when they're not particularly likeable on the surface.

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Emma☀️ (handmeabook) | 588 comments — Massiel wrote: "Finished ..."

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Up to ch61. Did anyone else really feel for Estelle when she told the story of her affair? This could have been a story on its own!

Karen Barber | 10078 comments — Massiel wrote: "Chapter 40

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments — Massiel wrote: "Chapter 60

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Emma☀️ wrote: "Ch 51 [spoilers removed]"

Can't believe it took me a while to link this! It seems so obvious once we're told.

Karen Barber | 10078 comments Finished. Review on home page. Feel like I've spent some time with characters it would be too easy to ignore in real life, but really got to understand why they acted as they did. Loved the bonds they formed from this rather forced scenario.

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Karen wrote: "Up to ch61. Did anyone else really feel for Estelle when she told the story of her affair? This could have been a story on its own!"

(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Karen wrote: "— Massiel wrote: "Chapter 40

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

— Massiel [taking a break] (rollitosdecanela) | 2313 comments Karen wrote: "— Massiel wrote: "Chapter 60

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)