Horror Aficionados discussion

eReaders/eBooks > Kindle Unlimited Pros and Cons

Comments Showing 1-35 of 35 (35 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 660 comments Hi friends!

I notice a lot of our group reads pop up free to read on Kindle Unlimited so I'm considering investing in the subscription. Mostly I prefer paperbacks because I'm slack at reading e-books but also figure this may help, so just thought I would gather some feedback from people who have it!

So I'm curious what you like about it, what you don't like about it, how much you use it, etc. Any feedback much appreciated! :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Hi Krystal!

I prefer physical books too. But, I love Kindle Unlimited because there are a lot of books I can read for my groups that are available there. Even some of my graphic novels. I read all genres and find tons to read and if I love them (depending on how much I love them) I can buy the physical or the kindle edition to add to my collection. Sometimes there are duds and it’s fine because I read it with ku first. So, for me it actually pays off. I’ve also found a lot of gems that way.

I hope that helps 😊
Mel

message 3: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 682 comments I just started my free trial earlier this evening, lol. Since I read so much, I figured I'd give it a try as it would save me money in the long run.💁🏼‍♀️ And I like what Mel said... if I like a book a lot, then I could always buy it to add to my collection. 😁

message 4: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments In terms of individual reading, I don't see KU worth the cost. There are just so many free books available. I currently have over 20,000 Kindle books in the Amazon Cloud. 99.9% of them were free.

Depending on the reading group, maybe you could have them focus on a free book when an appropriate one is available? I publish lists of them pretty much every day, rotating between various genres:

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

I usually only pay out actual money for books after a free book has found me a new favorite author. Then I either use my monthly prime lending option or purchase their other books to finish out a series.

There are a lot of bad free books out there, but since I have so many available, if I am not enjoying a book, I just move it to my DNF shelf and go on to the next one.

I'm not sure I could even go back to a physical book. I like the ability to increase the font size as I needed.

message 5: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Sep 08, 2020 06:02PM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Vickie wrote: "I just started my free trial earlier this evening, lol. Since I read so much, I figured I'd give it a try as it would save me money in the long run.💁🏼‍♀️ And I like what Mel said... if I like a boo..."

That’s funny 😃

I’ve actually had KU for several years and still enjoy it and plan on using it for however long. As many books as I read yearly, this isn’t a problem for me. I love KU and it’s up to you if you actually use it a lot.

I prefer physical books but do to Soave I have to limit those. I do like using digital as you can get your almost perfect size for your eyes. I can save my glasses for physical 😉

message 6: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 682 comments Yes, I do prefer the physical copy too, there's no better feeling! However, I've found digital to be super convenient at times, especially when I'm on a cardio machine like an elliptical. 😉

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I don’t do machines. I will hike the mountain and enjoy nature. I would like to get a treadmill but I would watch hiking videoes if I could afford to get one and listen to audio books. I could never walk a treadmill or exercise equipment while actually reading! I would be sick 😳

message 8: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 660 comments Thanks for the feedback so far!

Vickie what a coincidence that you just started your trial! I have definitely read e-books on my phone while at the gym in the past. Mostly when I'm doing my 'wind down' cardio and want it to pass as fast as possible lol Like Melissa, I'd much prefer to do my cardio in nature - not that I have a lot nearby to appreciate!

Randy I originally got the Kindle app and told myself I'd only use it for free e-books! But this group has already tempted me into paying a couple bucks here and there for a few books haha. So I'm trying to work out whether I invest or try and work on my susceptibility to temptation haha

Melissa I do like your idea of the whole 'try before you buy'! Do you use the audios as well?

message 9: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Sep 08, 2020 09:12PM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments I get three different emails with kindle sales. I get a lot of the books I love in sales. There are also a few free ones. I mean I don’t mind paying for kindle unlimited

I have Audible so I have books there and I do buy physical books from favorite authors etc. And I still borrow audio and e-books from the library 😉

message 10: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 660 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I get three different emails with kindle sales. I get a lot of the books I love in sales. There are also a few free ones. I mean I don’t mind paying for kindle unlimited

I have Audible so I have ..."

I get the feeling you might read a LOT more than me lol I get through 10-15 books a month if I'm lucky, and less if I'm reading e-books!

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Yes, I do read a lot 😂🤣

message 12: by Vickie (new)

Vickie (bookfan4ever) | 682 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I don’t do machines. I will hike the mountain and enjoy nature. I would like to get a treadmill but I would watch hiking videoes if I could afford to get one and listen to audio books. I could neve..."

Yeah, motion and reading has never bothered me, probably because I would read in the car all the time as a kid.😊 I would go insane on a cardio machine if I didn't have reading to take my mind off the mundane part of it. Listening to music or watching tv isn't enough for me. I know, I'm a weirdo.😄

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Yeah, I would rather watch uplifting nature stuff or listen to audio 😉

message 14: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 62 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "I get three different emails with kindle sales. I get a lot of the books I love in sales. There are also a few free ones. I mean I don’t mind paying for kindle unlimited

I have Audible so I have ..."

Yay for mentioning the library as a source of e-books! I've found a lot of great genre reads (SF & horror & fantasy) in our library's e-collection. Even though the physical facility is closed right now, I can still go online & borrow an e-book from them in a couple of minutes. And it's free.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Schwader (annkschwader) | 62 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫"

Your local public library isn't free to borrow from???? Yikes.

message 17: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 660 comments Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫"

Wow! I thought most libraries were free these days! I must say, it's been a while since I set foot in one. I am a bit of a mood reader so its not unusual for books to languish on my shelf for months (or years) before being read. So I'd be constantly having to return books unread I think lol

I tried to suss out e-books through the local library website but it was a mess to navigate so I gave up. Kindle seems a much more efficient way to find titles I want.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Ann wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫..."

Nope! We’ve paid for years now 😕

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Krystal wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫..."

They should be 😕

message 20: by Zeejane (last edited Sep 30, 2020 06:10AM) (new)

Zeejane Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫"

I just posted in another thread, but this week I bought a non-resident membership to Brooklyn's public library. (I live in MI). For a $50 annual fee I now have access to their massive ebook/audio book catalog. I have a Kobo ereader and I connected it to my new membership so I have direct access to their ebook library. They offer Kindle ebooks too though. And then for audio books I have the Libby app on my phone and that's now updated with my new membership.

You might want to look into it, and see if they offer more choices than the one you're a part of now?

message 21: by Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ (last edited Sep 30, 2020 06:15AM) (new)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Zeejane -or- The Wandering Bunny wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And we still don’t get that many available 😫..."

I’ll look into it later. We are already paying $50 each to the two in our town. I looked at a bunch of them and don’t know if I looked at Brooklyn. I was looking at Houston as it is a big one but whichever one I called didn’t take credit cards. You had to send a check 😕

message 22: by Zeejane (new)

Zeejane Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Zeejane -or- The Wandering Bunny wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year for our little bit bigger one. And..."

Yep, I was going to go with Houstons but the process was too complicated. With Brooklyn, after they set up my account I went into it and paid the fee just like I would a library fine, with my debit card :) I did have to submit an email attachment of my drivers license, (they give you step by step instructions after you submit your membership request), but that was pretty easy to do and they approved it right away.

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Zeejane -or- The Wandering Bunny wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Zeejane -or- The Wandering Bunny wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Our libraries aren’t free 😕. Mom pays $50 a year for the tiny one and I pay $50 a year..."

Well that’s awesome!! I might get that one next! Thank you 😃

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Did you call them and get them to help?

message 25: by Zeejane (new)

Zeejane Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Did you call them and get them to help?"

No, I filled this out (chose the first time cardholder option)
https://disc.bklynlibrary.org/card/

The next day they emailed me with information and a link, that brought me to my new membership area. From there I was able to pay the $50 membership fee (it was listed as a fine and I paid it with my debit card). I then submitted an email with an attachment of the picture of my drivers license. Within a few minutes of emailing that I got another email saying my membership was finalized, and 3 minutes later I had my first ebook loaded LOL :)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Awesome!!! I use my library’s Libby and Hoopla so I hope they have that.

message 27: by Zeejane (last edited Sep 30, 2020 12:54PM) (new)

Zeejane Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Awesome!!! I use my library’s Libby and Hoopla so I hope they have that."

I know for sure they use Libby, not sure about Hoopla though? I always forget about that one because my library's subscription has a 5 book per month limit, and you have to get on first thing in the morning to check out, or the daily limit gets hit, (like before 6am ugh, lol).

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin | 2253 comments Zeejane -or- The Wandering Bunny wrote: "Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ wrote: "Awesome!!! I use my library’s Libby and Hoopla so I hope they have that."

I know for sure they use Libby, not sure about Hoopla though? I always forget about tha..."

That’s okay! I have that already 😃

message 29: by Seb (new)

Seb | 34 comments I started the free trial yesterday. I'm not sure to go with it because I seem to cannot find the ebooks I want to read in KU. Is it juste me or did you have to adjust your book reads to fit with KU's collection? Or maybe is it because I'm using amazon.fr (though I never had that kind of trouble so far with Amazon)...

message 30: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments KU is primarily self-published Kindle books, so it's unlikely you'll find mainstream authors and mainstream publishers, if that's what you're looking for?

message 31: by Seb (new)

Seb | 34 comments No, I'm looking for not so renown authors or books, mainly what I can read about and find here in HA discussions. Basically I searched for the last books I read and some of my TBR and most of them (80+%) are unavailable in KU but are available to buy.

message 32: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 1597 comments Probably some type of contractual issue between regions...?

message 33: by Seb (new)

Seb | 34 comments That's what I'm afraid, yes...

message 34: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (krystallee6363) | 660 comments Seb wrote: "No, I'm looking for not so renown authors or books, mainly what I can read about and find here in HA discussions. Basically I searched for the last books I read and some of my TBR and most of them ..."

I've found a lot of the group reads (particularly guest author reads) have been available on KU - but maybe it's only a limited time thing? Or region?

message 35: by Seb (new)

Seb | 34 comments For what it's worth, I put an end to the free trial and will not proceed any further with KU. The collection is clearly too poor for me who read in English and my spouse who reads in French. It's probably a question of regions and authorizations, I guess. Too bad though, I had high hopes at first :-(