Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

My Restaurant Rocks 2020 > Team The IncrEDIBLEs

Comments Showing 1-50 of 154 (154 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Oct 12, 2020 11:24PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 31349 comments Mod

Team The IncrEDIBLEs

Maritza
Kathryn
Deanna
Cynthia
Frankie
Stephanie

Emily

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 08, 2020 03:31PM) (new)

message 3: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 4: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

r

message 5: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments Res

message 6: by Deanna (last edited Oct 16, 2020 05:52AM) (new)

message 7: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments Hey team! I saved a couple of spots up top for rules and other important info. Any ideas for a team name?

message 8: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments What kind of genres are we all most pulled to? Maybe we could find a clever name based on a mutual love of something?

message 9: by Maritza (last edited Sep 09, 2020 06:01AM) (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Hi guys, I think we need two names (team name and restaurant name)

--- Read All Nite ???
--- Read with a View

Deanna, we were on Team Asia together. Nice to be teamed up again so soon.

@Kathryn - I like to read all sorts of books. I am very down to earth and like casual and comfort.

message 10: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments Kathryn wrote: "What kind of genres are we all most pulled to? Maybe we could find a clever name based on a mutual love of something?"

I read science fiction, fantasy, paranormal romance, mystery, and thriller mostly.

message 11: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments A few ideas:
Lord of the Fries
Once Upon a Grind
Life of Pie
Read and Butter
Pies and Pages
Books and Brews

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Hello Everyone! Nice to be in the team. It is my first challenge so I am very excited. I read mostly fantasy/paranormal and romance but I love thrillers too.

For names I really like the Life of Pie and Lord of the Fries! But the others are great too.

I am going to go again through all the rules and everything to get familiar with it.

message 13: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Does everyone have access to ss?

message 14: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments I like Life of Pie.

and yes. I have access to the SS

message 15: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments Maritza wrote: "Does everyone have access to ss?"

I can view it. I asked Karen to edit access when she has a chance.

message 16: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Ok, I sent message to our other teamies.

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Yes, got the edit access yesterday! I spent some time going through the rules and the video on how to use the spreadsheet and I think I am comfortable on how everything works. I have also gone through my TBR to check for a few books that I could use for the challenge.

I think it could be useful to have a different tab in the spreadsheet to include each book we read and track all the things we find as we go along. That way we could choose which words to use to create the foods/drinks we need as there is a limit per book and then transfer to the main tab. What do you think? I will create it and let you know so you can use it if you want to track your books.

Also, we need both a restaurant name, a team name and a little description about our restaurant. I liked the ones you mentioned before for the restaurant name (I voted for Life of Pie and Lord of Fries).
What do you think about any of the below for team name?

The IncrEDIBLES
The Cereal Killers
Shakers and Bakers

Sorry for the long message!! Getting excited :)

message 18: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments I like The IncrEDIBLEs.

message 19: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments I second the IncrEDIBLEs!

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments I have added the planning tab in the spreadsheet if you would like to use it to track everything we find (blue tab) and added two books as an example that I think I will read (I will update once we start the challenge). Let me know if any questions!

message 21: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments I liks the IncrEDIBLEs and Life of Pie.

message 22: by [[ Frankie ]] (new)

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Sorry I’m late! Thanks for the messages. I honestly wasn’t expecting a team to form so quickly.

message 23: by [[ Frankie ]] (new)

[[ Frankie ]] (freedbyfiction) | 536 comments Deanna wrote: "I like The IncrEDIBLEs."

I love all the names, but I really love this one!

message 24: by Emily (new)

Emily | 5 comments Hello everyone! It's cool to start a new challenge with you. I read books across many genres, and I read a lot. I'm good with any of the names.

message 25: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Okay everyone's here. I'm going to ask that Team name be changed to The IncrEDIBLEs.

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Maritza wrote: "Okay everyone's here. I'm going to ask that Team name be changed to The IncrEDIBLEs."

Thanks! Shall we add Life of Pie as Restaurant Name? I think it is the one with more votes so far.

message 27: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Sounds good.

message 28: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments Super excited to get started this weekend!

message 29: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Okay have we decided on anything else?
How does this work?
What are you planning?

message 30: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments I'm not sure yet!
I'm still trying to figure out how exactly we're doing this.
I'm new to this entirely. lol.

message 31: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments So far all I've done is place holds on 500+ page books from my tbr since most of those generally come from the library or Overdrive. It's actually taking longer at the moment to get books since everyone seems to be lazy about returning books because they aren't charging fines.

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments So far I have picked 6 books that have something in the title or in the cover related to food/drinks.

For what I have read around, it seems the best is to just read and write down everything you find food/drinks related (for the scavenger) and the first letter in the book's title, the author's first and last name, the first letter of a character's first, last, and nick-name, and the first letter of the series name (for the spell-out). Once we have read a few books and we are closer to the end of the round we can start creating the food/drinks.

I have added examples in the spreadsheet and I will be using the Planning tab to write down everything I find in every book. Does everyone know how to use the spreadsheet? If you are all ok using that planning tab we can all have everything in one place.

How fast do you all read? There is a limit of 80 books per round so depending on how many books we can all read we should go for longer or shorter books. I can read 2-3 books per week so a total of 10-12 for the first round. If we don't think we will hit the maximum, I have a series of 5 books that are around 120 pages each so it would give us more points as each book read gets 10 points.

Also, is anyone going to participate in the Book of the Month? It will allow us to swap customers. Chain of Gold is the first one that we can join. See below!

HOT NEWS- Customer Bonus

For every team member that participates in a Book of the Month (BOM) (by joining the discussion and/or writing discussion questions) they will be able to swap out one assigned customer for another of their choice.

Limited to one customer for each team member per BOM. (i.e. you can't get the customer bonus for writing DQs AND participating. But if you join 2 BOMs in October, you can get 2 bonuses).

This bonus will be available for BOMs that start after the challenge begins. That means Chain of Gold will be your first opportunity to earn the bonus

message 33: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments I'm fine using the planning tab. As far as the current examples, based on the way I'm reading the rules and looking at the sample workbook, I believe the book has to be used for either only scavenger words or only spell it out letters not a mix of the two.

I have the BOM ready at the library, so I'll give it a try. I didn't particularly like City of Bones, which is the only Cassandra Clare book that I have read. Hopefully the new book will be better.

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Deanna wrote: "I'm fine using the planning tab. As far as the current examples, based on the way I'm reading the rules and looking at the sample workbook, I believe the book has to be used for either only scaveng..."

Yes, I am adding both options in the planning tab but we would need to choose one or the other. I thought it would be useful to write down both and then we choose what to use it for depending on what is needed. But you are right, only one option (scavenger or spell-out) per book.

Same for me, I have read City of Bones but never continued the series. However, I may try and see how it goes to get the bonus for the challenge.

One day to go!

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Love the countdown! Less than 5 hours!

I still need to decide which book to start with. Finishing another one this afternoon and then I will pick one.

Which one are you all starting with?

message 37: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments Hey all!

I haven't had a lot of time to get to know the spreadsheet, so I'm doing that today. Also, I had access to edit it before, but now I don't. So, I sent a message over for access. Hopefully I'll get that soon!

message 38: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments ⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ wrote: "Love the countdown! Less than 5 hours!

I still need to decide which book to start with. Finishing another one this afternoon and then I will pick one.

Which one are you all starting with?"

I have Angles of Attack (Frontlines #3) by Marko Kloos cued up to start listening to now while I make dinner. I'll switch over to The Hard Way (Jack Reacher, #10) by Lee Child on my kindle for the evening.

message 39: by Kathryn (last edited Sep 19, 2020 03:40PM) (new)

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments I finished my first book and found so many words for the scavenger hunt! Just two questions to check that I am understanding it right strategy wise.

It is better to go for the scavenger hunt than the spell-out, right? I think if I know that I am hitting the limit for the scavenger hunt I won't write down the spell-out to save time.

When we are making foods and we hit the minimum required for that food, what is the benefit of going for more words than the minimum required? Example for tea: as long as we have tea and water, is there any value on finding things like sugar or milk?

message 41: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments I think for the most part, we can get more points through scavenger words that spell outs. My plan was to only write scavenger words if the book has enough.

I don't see any benefit to using more than the minimum words. I think sugar and milk in the tea example just give a few more options for spell outs.

message 42: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments Finished my first book, Ceremony in Death, and I'm not 100% sure what to do with it yet. Not sure if I should make it a spell it out or a scavenger. I can find different words within the book to use, but using letters might be better. I'll wait and see what everyone else does and then decide the best way to incorporate this one. :)

message 43: by ⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ (last edited Sep 21, 2020 10:22AM) (new)

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Thanks Deanna! It just occurred to me yesterday while filling it in so I wanted to make sure that I was not missing something! I will aim for the scavenger and minimum required where possible.

Kathryn, I mostly read in my Kindle so I am highlighting all the words and character's names. When I finish it, if I have enough scavenger words (So far I have found plenty!) I write all of them and forget about the spell out. Doing spell out you need to use more words so we can complete more if we use the scavenger ones.

Example: If you find Tea is only using one of your options but if you spell it out, you are using 3. Makes sense??

message 44: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments Definitely makes sense! I use a mix of kindle & other things. So, I'll figure out what to do when it comes to non kindle books. I'm going to have to go back through my recent read and mark some words.

thank you!!

message 45: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 2917 comments Kathryn, I highlighted a couple of your words on the kitchen meals spreadsheet. Desserts, drinks, and cocktails have to be found in books of 500+ pages according to the rules, and Ceremony in Death is only 327.

I did a quick hunt on Amazon and found ham, pastry, and pepper in the text, which could go with eggs to make quiche. There are multiple tea and water if you want to make another tea to get to the max of 8.

Also for Out of the Dying Pan, I see you found vinegar in the book description. I'm not sure we can use the book description as part of the text. You might want to check on the Q&A board.

message 46: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments Thanks, Deanna! This whole thing has been a lot to wrap my mind around. lol. I'll look back through. Please feel free to just remove anything I've done wrong to this point. I'm extremely sick right now, so getting to a computer isn't really high up on my to-do list today. :(

message 47: by Maritza (new)

Maritza (spanishwhispers) | 1918 comments Was trying to finish some other books. Have added a book to ss

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Kathryn, so sorry to hear that you are not feeling well, hope today you are better! If some words don't work out as long as you have some backup it is fine, don't worry about it! I guess once we are closer to the end we can properly start planning the meals.

I have read one of 500+ that had many things that work for desserts, alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks. How many of each do you think we will need? I haven't seen anything anywhere, it makes it difficult because it is like...is it 10 drinks enough or should it be more??

I have two series, one with 4 books and another one with 5 that are around 100-120 pages each. I am thinking of reading them to get the 10 points per book (I doubt we will reach the 80 books) and I can get words for the fresh stuff. So if you are reading books over 161 pages you can focus more on the frozen stuff for pasta, quiche and curries and I can go for the fresh stuff (coffee, tea, salad) with these two series, what do you think? Once these two series are done I can see what is best to do next depending on where we are up to.

I am not going to read Chain of Gold in the end because some reviews say that you can be a bit lost without reading the other series she has written and that's putting me off. But I have seen Circe is the one for the first half of October so I am going to give that one a go!

So far not found vinegar, annoying!

message 49: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn Rose (galaxygirl0227) | 66 comments I think that sounds like a great plan!
I'll probably get through at least one super long book. And then some shorter ones and medium ones. And I'll focus on the food items instead of the drinks & desserts, unless my longer book can contribute. I'm hoping vinegar will be mentioned INSIDE the book I'm reading that mentions it in the description.

⚚♆ Cynthia ♆⚚ | 477 comments Hope you are all having a good weekend!

Maritza, I have highlighted in red Champagne and Diet Coke from your book in the Planning tab as it has less than 500 pages. Unfortunately alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks (and desserts) can only be used when the book is over 500 pages. What is a pain because I find many I can't use! Exception of Water that can be used in tea or any other item that can be used for other meals (e.g. fruits for salads).

Emily and Frankie, are you still participating? I don't think you have checked in since we started but apologies if I have missed a message.

I have finished one of my short novellas series, many items for fresh meals! I am going to see what to read next now.

« previous 1 3 4