Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Pixeldust
This topic is about Pixeldust
Book Issues > Merging duplicate editions?

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by T.K. (new)

T.K. Arispe (tkarispe) I need help with a duplicate book merge. I'd added both the ebook and paperback editions of my novel Pixeldust to Goodreads when the book came out back in July. However, there are now three editions listed for the book, and one of them is an exact duplicate of the actual paperback edition. It looks like a well-meaning reader wanted to rate the book, couldn't find it on Goodreads (or maybe didn't think it was on Goodreads?) and created a new listing for the paperback edition.

I went to try to combine editions, but the combination/merge tool appears to only allow me to combine books that are listed in Goodreads' system as entirely separate titles--not identical editions within the same book listing.

Could a librarian please fix this for me, or tell me how to fix it, so all of the paperback's ratings and reviews will be contained in a single edition?

Also, is there anything I can do to prevent this from happening in the future?

Thank you!

message 2: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13658 comments Ebooks sold by Amazon are listed as Kindle editions on Goodreads, so I corrected the format.

It looks like you added the paperback with the ASIN listed on Amazon, and the Amazon import bot added the paperback once again, but with the ISBN-13.

Paperbacks with an ISBN starting with 979 are also assigned an ASIN on Amazon, but this is not used on Goodreads. I have set up the paperback edition with ASIN to merge with the correct version, but the system is not cooperating at the moment ("page unavailable - unexpected error"). This is usually resolved within a day (or two).

After merging, the paperback must be recombined with the Kindle edition.

The only thing you can do to prevent a duplicate to be imported, is to add the edition with the correct signifier (ISBN for print editions, ASIN for Kindle). Then the import bots know not to add the edition.

message 3: by lethe (new)

lethe | 13658 comments I see the merge has gone through in the meantime. Here are your two correct editions: https://www.goodreads.com/work/editio...

message 4: by T.K. (new)

T.K. Arispe (tkarispe) lethe wrote: "Ebooks sold by Amazon are listed as Kindle editions on Goodreads, so I corrected the format.

It looks like you added the paperback with the ASIN listed on Amazon, and the Amazon import bot added t..."

Thank you!