Burbank Book Club discussion

The Hate U Give (The Hate U Give, #1)
This topic is about The Hate U Give
October Read

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Laura | 80 comments Hi group,
For October we will be participating the in big Burbank READS selection which is The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas. Our discussion will be Saturday October 17th, and there will be a couple of other events with the library centered on the book. There is sure to be much to talk about!

Thanks to all who came "out" this past Saturday, it's always great to see you!

Michelle | 3 comments This book has been on my TBR shelve and now i am so pleased to be able to read it with this group. Yay!

Laura | 80 comments Same here, I'm looking forward to finally reading it!

Margaret | 13 comments I hope to actually finish it! Hate you Give was a goodreads YA award winner, so I tried to read ( twice) but was not engaged enough. “Third times the charm”

Michelle | 3 comments I am listening to it and it very much follows the same way as the movie. An audiobook might be a better option.

message 6: by silvirgirl (new)

silvirgirl  | 20 comments watched the 'discussion' tonight about this book... very interesting. one of the presenters gave this link: https://lasentinel.net/why-the-hate-u... which was quite thought provoking. not sure i agree 100% with everything said, and i didn't see the movie, but this really makes me wonder what the POC involvement was in selecting this book? would be interested to hear others' thoughts...

Laura | 80 comments I thought the discussion and the article they shared were interesting as well. Dr. Noble seemed to say that the book was in the same category as "The Help" in how it meant different things to different groups of people. Though I think the difference between The Help and The Hate U Give is that The Hate U Give was written by a person of color, and told the story through a person of color's perspective, which doesn't mean it speaks for every BIPOC, as the article pointed out.