The Sword and Laser discussion

The Ten Thousand Doors of January
This topic is about The Ten Thousand Doors of January
Ten Thousand Doors of January > TTDJ: Easter Egg hunt!

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) TTDoJ has so many little references to other works of literature and myths from all over the world. the obvious is the vampire. but there are more. jade cups of immortality, a compass that points to whatever you desire. Time to show off your hunting skills and literary knowledge. what Easter eggs did you find in TTDoJ? even if you don't know the source material. anything just kind of sound familiar.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 538 comments I'm really enjoying the Blue Chests playing Fallout 76 ;-)

message 3: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
Ian wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Blue Chests playing Fallout 76 ;-)"

Wait what??

message 4: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Veronica wrote: "Ian wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Blue Chests playing Fallout 76 ;-)"

Wait what??"

You lose one of your gamer cred points there Veronica 😉
and you played Fallout 🤔

😉

(view spoiler)

Trike | 8291 comments If my copy of Fallout had ever let me out of the bunker, I might’ve noticed that. :p

message 6: by sherry (new) - added it

sherry | 1 comments Mr Lockes house is based on the Inn at Shelburne

https://www.flickr.com/photos/feedman...

I actually recognized it from her description

message 7: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new) - rated it 5 stars

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1671 comments Mod
Tassie Dave wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Ian wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Blue Chests playing Fallout 76 ;-)"

Wait what??"

and you played Fallout 🤔

OH that is not even a FALLOUT Easter egg, c'mon! That's just a general game convention.

😉

The blu..."

message 8: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3907 comments On the subject of "sound kind of familiar" the Wereleopardess world made me think of Tasherit the werelioness from Gail Carriger's Custard Protocol books.

Ryan Dash (ryandash) | 10 comments I really enjoyed the reference to Discworld in Chapter 3 "continents are carried on the backs of vast turtles"

Discworld is one of my favorite series.

message 10: by Tassie Dave, S&L Historian (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tassie Dave | 3506 comments Mod
Terry Pratchett didn't make that up. He borrowed the world turtle and the elephants from mythology.

It is a Hindu myth and also features in other countries mythology around the world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_T...

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments I mentioned this in the Discord, but some turns of phrase made me think of Walter Moers' Zamonia novels - there's a bit where (view spoiler) smell is described as "burnt wood and cinnamon", which is close how Moers describes "the smell of adventure", and he's written several whole books about (view spoiler)

Of course those could all be coincidences, but I wouldn't be surprised if Harrow were familiar with his work.

message 12: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3907 comments The first and most obvious one is Chronicles of Narnia with the portals. I say "most obvious" because portal fiction is fairly common. Just off the top of my head that also includes World of Tiers, the Barsoom books (John Carter looks at Mars from Earth and appears there,) and Oz. In fact both Narnia and Oz include a transition space, that is dangerous: In Narnia you can fall asleep forever, whereas for Oz the desert may kill you.

There's a straight up Star Wars Han Solo riff where January is tempted to say "I love you" but instead says "I know."

And in the "probably not it" category, the cutting scene made me flash on Queensryche's album Operation Mindcrime. Specifically the song "The Needle Lies" where Nikki says "Carved my cure with the blade that left me in scars."

BTW I freely admit I didn't get a stack of references near the end. Winged cats that spoke in riddles is probably Sphinxes, although I still thought of LeGuin's book Catwings. Sea dragons with mother of pearl scales? Dunno. Green cities that floated high above the clouds? Maybe Jack in the Beanstalk, or could be any of a dozen dozen other fairy tales. Men and women made of granite and alabaster? Whoosh.

Then there's major leaveouts like Lord of the Rings, The Little Prince and Don Quixote, none of which made the slightest appearance from what I can tell.

Trike | 8291 comments John (Taloni) wrote: "The first and most obvious one is Chronicles of Narnia with the portals. I say "most obvious" because portal fiction is fairly common. Just off the top of my head that also includes World of Tiers,..."

I think the big three for portal fiction are Oz, Narnia and Wonderland, but the work I was most reminded of was Monsters Inc.

message 14: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 3907 comments Hah! Sorry, I just got a vision of Bad as the unknown Boo of the story, unknowingly providing the energy source for January's door opening. Always be kind to animals...

Leesa (leesalogic) | 639 comments For me, I got flashes of Among Others (escapism into reading) and A Little Princess (absentee father, before/after treatment after trauma).

message 16: by Dominik (last edited Sep 13, 2020 05:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dominik (gristlemcnerd) | 132 comments It's probably not on purpose, but the whole thing with the mother and the scene on the pier reminded me a lot of (view spoiler)

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 538 comments Veronica wrote: "Tassie Dave wrote: "Veronica wrote: "Ian wrote: "I'm really enjoying the Blue Chests playing Fallout 76 ;-)"

Wait what??"

and you played Fa..."

You all know I was making a joke, right?
I didn't even think it was possible that Harrow got the idea of the blue chests from Fallout 76's Stash Boxes.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 538 comments One of my favorite portal fantasies is The Dark Tower by Stephen King!

Charles Cadenhead (thatcharliedude) | 190 comments Is it my imagination or is this whole book an homage to the Locke and Key series by Joe Hill? :)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2469 comments Charles wrote: "Is it my imagination or is this whole book an homage to the Locke and Key series by Joe Hill? :)"

Yes, I thought exactly the same thing.

Ian (RebelGeek) Seal (rebel-geek) | 538 comments AndrewP wrote: "Charles wrote: "Is it my imagination or is this whole book an homage to the Locke and Key series by Joe Hill? :)"

Yes, I thought exactly the same thing."

I had just watched the Netflix series & read some of the comics when I heard about TTDoJ & thought "Hey", but I was definitely interested. I hope this gets a series too.

Frank | 18 comments Lee wrote: "TTDoJ has so many little references to other works of literature and myths from all over the world. the obvious is the vampire. but there are more. jade cups of immortality, a compass that points t..."

I'm intrigued. What literature or myth reference jade cups of immortality or a compass that points to whatever you desire?

Trike | 8291 comments Frank wrote: "Lee wrote: "I'm intrigued. What literature or myth reference jade cups of immortality or a compass that points to whatever you desire?"

I don’t know about the cups, aside from “jade = immortality” in Chinese mythology, but the compass is probably a reference to the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

I actually don’t recall either object from the book, but it’s been a minute since I read it.