Dragons & Jetpacks discussion

Gods of Jade and Shadow
This topic is about Gods of Jade and Shadow
BotM Discussion - FANTASY > Gods of Jade and Shadow / Overall / ***Spoilers***

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Roger, Knight Radiant (new)

Roger | 1998 comments Mod
I'm unlikely to read this but figured I'd start a thread for it

Sandy | 1644 comments Unfortunately, my library book came in before I realized with was a BOM (Energy Cell) and I did read this ahead of time. Bummer for the challenge but found this to be a fairly easy read.

I didn't expect to like it but was surprised. I liked especially the aspects of Mayan mythology but did not like the way the MC was treated although probably true.

As a poor relation, she was basically an unpaid maid in her grandfather's house. While probably fairly factual, it was very irritating.

The ending was a bit of a let down as well.

Shawnie | 1734 comments I read this a couple months ago for a JLA/JSA challenge trait and found it interesting in its originality. I haven't read much about Mayan mythology. I enjoyed the idea behind her quest and remained mostly interested throughout. I'm trying to think back and am not able to remember too many details. That tells me something.

Sandy | 1644 comments I too did not find this highly memorable - just enjoyable in the aspects of mayan culture. The only thing I remember clearly was how poorly she, as a poor relation, was treated by the family.

message 5: by Lel (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lel (lelspear) | 1800 comments Just finished this morning. It was an ok book but nothing amazing. I felt like there should have been a little more Mayan parts to it. I feel like it didn’t explore the culture in that much depth for me.
I didn’t really feel that attached to the character and the end was really abrupt and flat. Definitely not a great read for me but it wasn’t hard to read or finish.

Sandy | 1644 comments I too thought the ending very abrupt and flat. Good observation.

Gareth Lee | 31 comments Mayan mythology was new to me. It seemed to fuse well the age of jazz. I thought it felt a little bit macabre but at the time quite mellow and it made an enjoyable fantasy world to slip for an hour or two. I didn’t feel like I was on the edge of my seat dying to know what was going happen next.

The god of death being reasonable at the end seemed like twaddle but I suppose it was the only viable ending and I quite enjoyed the way it worked out, twaddle and all.

message 8: by Audrey, Queen of the Potato People (new) - rated it 2 stars

Audrey (niceyackerman) | 2812 comments Mod
I liked it okay but felt it was all telling and no showing. As a result, I had no connection to the characters and didn't care what happened to them.