A Crazy Little Thing Called YA discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Team Threads (Archives) > September 2020 Team Listings

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Trisha (semi-hiatus) (last edited Sep 09, 2020 06:57PM) (new)

Trisha (semi-hiatus) (booksreviewsandprocrastination) | 329 comments Mod
Hi everyone! This is where all the teams will be listed for this month's challenge. Sign-ups are open till the 13th, so sign up if you haven't already!

The challenge will be starting right away, but you can include any books read after September 1st. The last day will be, of course, September 30st.

The keywords for this month's challenge are: Star, Cry, She, Window, Forever and Eye

More rules about page counts and eligibility will follow.

message 2: by Monique (last edited Sep 09, 2020 12:13AM) (new)

Monique S. (monique1109) | 263 comments Mod
team blue:
1) Monique,
2) Lucy
3) Rheanna
4)Emilie
5) Natalie
6) Megan
7) Aria (II)

team yellow:
1) Trisha,
2) Athena
3) Brinley
4) Tori
5) Gwyneth
6) Tabby

Team Red:
1) Adela
2) Chloe
3) Tianna
4) Maja
5) Jazmin
6) Amelie

Team Green:
1) Becca
2) Jack
3) Tamie-lee
4) Aimee
5) Aria
6) Tora

message 4: by Aurora (new)

Aurora i would like to join!

message 5: by Monique (new)

Aria wrote: "i would like to join!"

Hi Aria, Trisha is very much advanced even to my European time in India, she will tick you in the list tomorrow morning, don't worry:)

Hi Aria, we'll add you to one of the teams shortly!

Aria, you've been added to Team Blue, Monique is the moderator in that one. Please leave a Hi message on the thread so we know you're there: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...

Hi all, these are the rest of the rules about the challenge. They are a mostly the same as last month, but a bit different, so I suggest going through them once:

For this challenge, the code words are as follows: Star, Cry, She, Window, Forever and Eye

To earn points, read and review books as normal. Each book you read and review will earn points for your team. Points will be added if the title includes one or more of the keywords listed above.

***PLEASE NOTE***

◈ You may use different editions with different titles, but they must be made up of English letters (accents are okay).

◈ You may read any book for this challenge that meet the following requirements:
-For YA, NA, Adult, Non-Fiction books (no illustrations) book must have at least 50 pages.
- For Middle-Grade/Children books (no illustrations), the book must have at least 75 pages
- For Manga, Graphic Novels, Plays, Poetry, books written in verse, etc., the book must have at least 150 pages
- Books that are mainly illustrations are not allowed.

◈ Only books that are read in September can be used for this challenge.

◈ To claim your books after reading, you must rate and review the book. (Review doesn't have to be elaborate just a brief summary of how you enjoyed the book. This is to encourage other readers to discover new books.)

◈ If you have any questions about the eligibility of a certain book, just reach out to us and we can clarify any confusion you may have.

***POINT BREAKDOWN***

◈ YA/Adult Books (without illustrations) - 1 Point per 50 pages
-50-99 pages = 1 point
-100-149 pages = 2 points
-150-199 pages = 3 points
-200-249 pages = 4 points
-250 - 299 pages = 5 points
-300 - 349 pages = 6 points
-350 - 399 pages = 7 points
-400 - 449 pages = 8 points
-450 - 499 pages = 9 points
-500 - 549 pages = 10 points
-550 - 599 pages = 11 points
-600+ pages = 12 points
(Maximum of 12 points per book)

◈ Middle Grade/ Children's Books (Without Illustrations)
-75 - 149 pages = 1 points
-150 - 224 pages = 2 point
-225 - 299 pages = 3 points
-300 - 374 pages = 4 points
-375 - 449 pages = 5 points
-450 - 524 pages = 6 points
-525 - 599 pages = 7 points
-600+ pages = 8 points
(maximum of 8 points per book)

◈ Graphic Novels, Manga, Poetry, Plays, etc.
-150 - 299 pages = 1 points
-300 - 449 pages = 2 point
-450 - 599 pages = 3 points
-600+ pages = 4 points
(maximum of 4 points per book)

◈ Buddy reads will double the number of points you receive for your pages. Example: YA Book with 345 pages that were buddy read would be 12 points instead of 6

◈ 2 bonus points will be added for every keyword included in the title. For example, if I read a YA Book with 345 pages that had one keyword in it, I would receive 8 points instead of 6. If I read one with 2 keywords, I would receive 10 instead of 6, and so on.

◈ Mods will keep track of each team's points.

Sign-ups are open till the 13th, so leave a comment here before that and we'll get you into a team.

Happy Reading
-The Mods

message 9: by Bea (new)

Bea | 27 comments I have a book with the title pretend She’s here would She’s count as a key word or not because of the ‘s?

message 10: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

Becca da Romance Queen (becca_da_romance_queen) | 808 comments Mod
Hi Trisha! I don't mean to be rude, but I just wanted to inform you that there is no September 31st :)

message 11: by Monique (last edited Sep 09, 2020 11:16AM) (new)

Yes, Tabby, just like last time it will count. A plural of one of the terms will count, too, like cries (more than one cry) or stars, Windows or eyes :)

message 12: by Bea (new)

Bea | 27 comments Ok thanks, I just like to confirm things, thank you for all you do for the group, have a great afternoon

message 13: by Monique (new)

Becca da wrote: "Hi Trisha! I don't mean to be rude, but I just wanted to inform you that there is no September 31st :)"

Seriously, Becca? There isn't? Has someone buggered with the calendar again? (dissolves in giggles)

message 14: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

Nope, lol! I wish there were 31 days in every month!

Becca da wrote: "Hi Trisha! I don't mean to be rude, but I just wanted to inform you that there is no September 31st :)"

Oh my god, I can't believe I didn't notice that *crying laughing emoji**I haven't got them in the keyboard* I'll change that

Becca da wrote: "Nope, lol! I wish there were 31 days in every month!"

It depends on what exactly you're getting out of the last day of the month......I mean I get a half-day in school for the last day of the monnth, so I'm usually waiting for a month with less days

message 17: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

Lol. My math teacher taught our class how to remember the number of days in each month with our knuckles.
pinky: January (31 days)
in between pinky and ring: February (28-29 days)
ring: March (31 days)
in between ring and middle: April (30 days)
middle: May (31 days)
in between middle and pointer: June (30 days)
pointer (notice how that knuckle is bigger than the others): July & August (31 days)
in between pointer and thumb: September (30 days)
thumb: October (31 days)
in between both thumbs: November (30 days)
other thumb: December (31 days)
She told us that she calls the in-between each knuckle, valleys. And that's how I remember it!

Becca da wrote: "Lol. My math teacher taught our class how to remember the number of days in each month with our knuckles.
pinky: January (31 days)
in between pinky and ring: February (28-29 days)
ring: March (31 d..."

Same! Our teachers had taught us too, and the same method, though it started from the index and stayed on the same hand, so you end up counting the pinkie two times- for July and August

message 19: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

Ahh :)

message 20: by Monique (new)

Don't worry, once you get to 20 it becomes residual knowledge how many days in what month, then you'll only have to ask yourself if February has 28 or 29 days. :) as it is only every fourth year for 29.

Must be a PITA to be born on February 29.

Monique wrote: "Don't worry, once you get to 20 it becomes residual knowledge how many days in what month, then you'll only have to ask yourself if February has 28 or 29 days. :) as it is only every fourth year fo..."

Can't imagine what it would be like for those poor souls whose birthdays are on 29th Feb....

message 22: by Monique (last edited Sep 10, 2020 07:48AM) (new)

At my age they'd be celebrating their 17th birthday after 68 years LOL.
Not that I'd want to be 17 again, 27? YEAH, I'd love that. But actually I am glad I am as fit and healthy as I am, I really have no reason to complain.

message 23: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

Actually, my neighbor's birthday is on the 29th of February! So this year we are the same "age" and next year I will be "older."

message 24: by Monique (new)

Hey Becca,

have you caught up a little? Our weather here has reverted back to summer temperatures after a ten day cold and wet spell, that had me staying inside happily ... now the beaches call again since all the tourists are gone.

message 25: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

It was around 80 degrees yesterday and it's been pretty gloomy.
I went to the beach last week, it was raining. Hopefully, the weather will be nicer soon! :)

message 26: by Monique (new)

The young Indian lady I helped to get into uni in the Netherlands is coming for ten days for a visit. I have not seen Angira for a year and a half, we're both looking forward to some swimming in the Atlantic.

I'm really jealous of both of you right now, going to beaches and stuff :"""(

But not really?

Enjoy your freedom to visit the beaches!! I'm looking forward to going next, maybe next to next year.......I usually only visit the beach when I visit my family in Mumbai, that too only rarely.....we usually stick to the malls since- summer vacation and Mumbai is really really hot in the summers......

message 28: by Monique (last edited Sep 10, 2020 10:29AM) (new)

Yes, that is why Angira enjoys the Atlantic so much! She stuied in Bangalore but is from Patna and had never seen an ocean en direct before she came to visit the first time.

I helped her into a uni in the Netherlands for continuing her studies after her BA in ITC in 2015, she calls me aunty now :)

message 29: by Becca da, Romance Reader Becca! (new)

That's cool!

message 30: by Monique (new)

:) Thaks Becca.

message 31: by JUN (new)

JUN | 15 comments I will also like to join.

Jannat wrote: "I will also like to join."

Okay, will get you into a team! I'll just check with the other threads....

message 33: by JUN (new)

JUN | 15 comments Thanks

Jannat, you're on Team Blue! Your Mod is Monique, she's on vacation right now, but she'll check you in when she's back!
This is the link for the chat thread: https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/...
Leave a comment there to let her know you're there, and you can start posting reviews on the review thread.

message 35: by JUN (new)

JUN | 15 comments Ok

message 36: by Natalie (new)

Natalie | 23 comments Quick question. Instead of a review would 4 status updates work? It’s like this in some groups so I was just wondering :))

message 37: by Monique (new)

I am not sure, Natalie, I mean the simple sentence I liked it and a rating yould be enough, but to review it from the status update you have to read it through.
I f you don't like the book and dnf it that would make it difficult to count, unless you say (for exampe) DNF at page 123 or something, then only the 123 pages count for the points.

That's my two cents worth on that, lets see what the others think.

Hi, everyone, a clarification to the rule about rereads:

You can reread a book, as long as you write a few status updates and if you're currently reading it (it shows whether you're rereading).

The other requirement is that you write a review (a second one) informing us that it is a reread, and we can count it as a reread.

The review can be about anything, from what you felt while reading this time, to a detailed update.

Also, about DNFs, I think if you could just inform us about how much you read the book, like Monique said, we can count that much of it.

And, I think it is better if you write a review too.....doesn't have to be detailed a lot....just what you felt.

message 39: by Monique (new)

Thanks, Trisha,

I think that really needed clarification. :)

Monique.

Hey, just so everyone knows, you can count all books read after the 1st of September (00:00 on 1st September) so if you missed out any books, add them too.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.