The Rebellious Readers discussion

Buddy Reads > Girls of Paper and Fire (Lucy and Amelie)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 51 (51 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I'm so excited!!

message 2: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Same here! I hope it’s as good as it sounds!

message 3: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments hey, so are we starting this on monday? i start school that day too, so i will most likely start it in the afternoon.

message 4: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments when i say "start it" i mean the book btw, so you won't think i was talking about school there

message 5: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Ok, sure! We can start on Monday!

message 6: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments There’s 37 chapters in the book, so do you want to read 10 chapters each day and discuss?

message 7: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i'm not sure how much time i have yet, since tomorrow i start school. but for now we could go with it and i'll let you know if i don't have the time to read that many chapters

message 8: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Ok, we can see how we go and slow the pace down if need be.

message 9: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments yes, that's good

message 10: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments So I’ve read the first ten chapters now, and I’m enjoying the book so far. I liked the beginning, and how it was packed with action with Lei being taken away from her home to the castle. The Caste system is really interesting with the Paper, Steel and Moon castes, and I think it’s cleverly done with the way it incorporates aspects of Asian culture. The system is really oppressive, and it’s horrible how the Paper girls are treated as sex slaves and seen as sex objects rather than human beings. Now that the author has set the scene, I think it’d be great for the book to have a more feminist view and for the Paper girls to band together and fight against these injustices.

message 11: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I wonder what’s the word inside Lei’s pendant, and whether we’ll get to find out more about Lei’s mother. I’m curious to see if Lei and Wren will grow closer throughout the book. I felt sorry for Lei when she tripped over at the ceremony in front of the entire court, like that would have been so humiliating. I wonder how the romance will be done, as the synopsis said something about forbidden love so I guess it’d make sense if Lei grew intimate with Wren, but I seriously see potential for an enemies-to-lovers romance between her and the Demon king to happen at this stage too. How are you going with the book?

message 12: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I haven’t started the book yet, I’m at school at the moment :/

message 13: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I’ll start it when I get home

message 14: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Ok, that’s fine, I think my timezone is ahead of yours by quite a bit, as I’m going to bed soon. I can discuss with you later when you catch up! :)

message 15: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments yeah, i think so too. since where i live it's now 4pm

message 16: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments ok so, i just finished the first 10 chapters. i am also curioud to know more about the pendant and herm mother. i am really confused about the magic system, but i still really like it since ik that i'll get the hang of it eventually. and yeah i am extremely disgusted by how the paper girls are treated. they are still girls, they are still a person, they shouldn't be treated as sex objects! i really hope that will get a lot of feminist scenes into this book and fight this injust system. also i've read some reviews that say that this book was boring and that the first half of the book was boring blah blah, but i really do not see it. i find this book extremely entertaining and i am can not wait to see what happens next. but now i really need to go to sleep, maybe i'll take the book tomorrow with me at school so i can read a bit there too!

message 17: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments and also i forgot how good it feels to get sucked into a book when i feel stressed and/or anxious about school lol

message 18: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments Where are you at in the book? I hadn’t had a chance to read more yet.

message 19: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I’m only up to chapter 18, as I had less time to read today :(

I can see that there’s going to be romance between Lei and Wren, so that’ll be interesting to read about. Also I can’t believe how awful the King is, his actions are technically sexual abuse, and it’s horrible how he treats the Paper girls as sex objects for his own entertainment, rather than proper human beings.

I am also finding the book enjoyable, and I can’t wait to read more (hopefully I’ll have more time tomorrow).

(view spoiler)

message 20: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i'm at chapter 14 and i stumbled upon this:

"But I've never seen it the other way round-two female lovers."

ok this is for sure foreshadowing for the relationship. and there's for sure something between Lei and Wren.

message 21: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Yeah I agree there will be something between them. It’s becoming really obvious that Lei has feelings for Wren, but it’s hard to tell if Wren actually reciprocates them. I guess this is the forbidden love trope that was mentioned in the synopsis, so I’m curious to see how it’ll be done.

message 22: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments last night i manage to finish the next 10 chapters, but i was so tired that i fell asleep immediately. where are u in the book?

message 23: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I’ve read until the end of chapter 25. I’m liking the romance between Lei and Wren at this stage, and it’s interesting how Wren is the last warrior left of the Xia clan. I’m curious to learn more about her background and training, and I wonder if she’s training to defeat the king. Zelle is a character who I’d like to learn more about. She seems to have good intentions, like when she got Lei out of being caught for being in Mistress Azami’s Office.

message 24: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I’m a bit surprised at how naive Aoki is and how she thinks the king isn’t so bad, but maybe she’ll come to her senses later on. I feel sorry for the Paper girls and the harsh life they have to live, and I also feel sorry for Blue for being ignored by her parents. The King really is so horrible, and I hope Lei won’t be called to be bedded by the King again, as that didn’t work well last time either. Maybe Lei and Wren could work together to stop the King somehow?? What do you think of the book so far?

message 25: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i really like the book, i hope that i can ifnish it tonight since i really want to know how this ends. yeah aoki's naivety was a surprised for me too.. she seemed such a great character in the beginning of the book, now she is just annoying me. i feel like she is the type of character that will be killed off in the end :/

message 26: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i wanna know more about wren. she told lei a lot about her, but i still have some questions. i really hate the king. i hope that in the end is lei who kills him. also i wonder if lei will have some kind of powers, since master tekoa said that thing about the fire burning in her.

message 27: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i'm at chapter 27
(view spoiler)

message 28: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments chapter 28
(view spoiler)

message 29: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i finish the book and i'm not sure how i feel at the moment. we'll discuss more when you finish it too

message 30: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I’ve finished the book now, and overall I did enjoy it. I actually liked reading about Lei and Wren’s relationship. Their love and support for each other was written really well, and while I feel like they could have gotten to know each other a bit better, it was still a great relationship with good chemistry. Mariko’s affair surprised me, and I felt sorry for her for being marked and thrown out. I did feel like some of the characters were stereotypical and similar to other books I’ve read, but I still really enjoyed this book.

message 31: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments I thought the grief and sexual assault in the story was handled appropriately, and the descriptions of how the victims of sexual assault were affected were impactful to read about. I felt so sorry for Lei when she was raped by the King, his behaviour was despicable and horrible, and he definitely deserved to die. I can’t believe how heartless he was in taking advantaging of all the Paper girls, and how cruel he was to people of the Paper caste.

message 32: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Is it just me or did you think it seemed so silly that it was up to Lei to kill the king, especially since she had little fighting experience and she was up against the king himself? And there was no way in the world he was going to believe her lies anyway, especially after Blue told him about her relationship with Wren (I was mad at Blue for that). I’m annoyed that the King is still alive though, especially after all that work and effort. Why couldn’t Lei just chop his head off? XD I’m curious to find out what happens next in the sequel though. What did you think about the book?

message 33: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I really liked this book and i’m excited to start the sequel, luckly i own it. I am really mad that the king is not dead. and i didn’t really like that when wren was sent home, lei was put to the task to kill the king. wren trained her whole life. i would have like for lei in the end to kill the king, but i did not expect it to happen in the first book! I would have liked it to happen later in the series.

message 34: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I really hated how the paper caste was treated. especially when that fox demon, whatever her name was, called lei a whore. it wasn’t like they chose to be part of the paper girls!

message 35: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments Blue really annoyed me. I felt bad for her at some points, but she still was pretty horrible. it wasn’t like the other girls weren’t in the same situation. ik that in the end the king had to find out about wren and lei. but still i didn’t like that she told him.

message 36: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments if i were in lei’s place, i would have cut the king’s head off to be sure that he was dead for good...

message 37: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Yeah, it didn’t really make sense to get Lei to kill the King, and like you said it would have made more sense for her to kill him later on in the series. I guess she’ll have another shot at killing him though. And hopefully next time she’ll do it properly, like chopping his head off to be 100% certain he’s dead for good would be smarter.

message 38: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments It was disgusting how horribly the Paper girls were treated. First being forced into sexual slavery, then having to repeatedly have sex with the King who pretty much sexually abused them. I can’t believe how much Lei and the other girls had to go through, it was so horrible.

message 39: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Aoki’s naivety annoyed me too when she couldn’t even see how horrible things were, but at least she came to her senses later on. I was disappointed in Blue for telling the King about Lei and Wren, especially after seeing how horribly Mariko was treated. I would have thought she’d have sympathy for them.

message 40: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments It was cool how the word in Lei’s pendant was “flight.” I guess that’s supposed to symbolise freedom? I guess Lei and Wren will be on the run in the next book, but I wonder if we’ll still see the other Paper girls. Also, I want to learn more about the Sickness, I thought that’d be a major part of the story but it wasn’t really mentioned later on. I wonder if it’ll be important in the next book. I kinda wanted to see the Demon Queen as well, but maybe we won’t see her because of the fact the King is temporarily inactive.

message 41: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments What rating did you end up giving it? I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I took off one star since there were a few things that did bug me a little, but it was still a great book. I really want to read the sequel now!

message 42: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments aoki annoyed me the whole book, even in the end i'm not sure she actually came to her sense, since we haven't really seen what she thinks.

message 43: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i was really surprised when i saw that the word in the pendant was 'flight'. through the whole book i winder what the word was, but i never tried to guess since i knew i couldn't. i wonder what it will mean for the next book. during the book i kept forgetting about the sickness since it was rarely mentioned. i'm curious to later more about it tho, since we are only given glimpses about it in this book. tbh i don't really care about the demon queen..

message 44: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i ended up giving it 5 out of 5 stars. there were a few things that bugged me, but not enough to rated it 4 stars. i'm so excited to read the sequel! i will hopefully start it next week!

message 45: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i would love to have wren's pov in the next book. it would be so cool!

message 46: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments It would be awesome to have a POV from Wren in the next book! I really want to learn more about her! I also want to find out more about the sickness and if it’ll be a major issue in the next book. Aoki did act quite childish and it’s hard to believe she’s around the age of 18. I’m younger than her, and I think I could act smarter than that. It’s true she might still look up to the King, but hopefully seeing how Mariko was treated and how Lei was sexually abused might have made her realise how horrible he truly is. It was really cool how this was an Asian-inspired fantasy world, and I’m looking forward to reading the next book. Would you be interested in buddy reading the sequel as well?

message 47: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments i would love to. when should we read it?

message 48: by Amelie, Head of Challenges :) (new)

Amelie | 1656 comments Monday?

message 49: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments yeah, that works for me. And since i have online school next week i’ll have more time to read :)

message 50: by Lucy Tonks, Shadowhunter - Head of BOTM (new)

Lucy Tonks | 2037 comments I’ll create the thread for the book a little bit later

« previous 1