What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Set in WW2 main male Jewish teen named Ari

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jo (new)

Jo | 5 comments I read this book in the 90's. Not sure when it was published. Unsure if it is fiction or a biography. It had a red cover or at least red writing on the cover. Main character is a teenager named Ari. A scene I can recall is his mum is pregnant but loses the baby or the baby dies in infancy because all they had to eat was potatoes but not even enough of those, and she has to bury the baby in the garden . I think he gets a girlfriend sometime in the story and they have sexual relations. Another scene I can recall is he is being asked if he is Jewish as he has blonde hair and blue eyes and I think he admits to it even though he could have gotten away with saying he wasn't.

message 2: by Kris (new)

Kris | 34447 comments Mod
Jo, that's a good start. Copy more plot details from your message #1 to the topic header/title, so someone can recognize your book from that description alone. Many members only read the headers. We have thousands of book requests.

Click the small "edit" link after the topic header. This only works on the full Desktop website - not the Mobile website or app. (On the Mobile website, there's a "Desktop version" link at the bottom of the page.)

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16923 comments What country were the characters living in?

The Difference of Ari Stein has the right name, but otherwise seems too young.

message 4: by Jo (new)

Jo | 5 comments It must be a country in Europe if not Germany itself, as he and his family are rounded up for being Jewish. Thanks but it's not that book. It's definitely not a children's book.