Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

Archive - General > September 7th - September 20, 2020

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

˜”*°•.˜”*°• Sheri  •°*”˜.•°*”˜ | 1482 comments Mod
If you could ask ONE question to an author, ANY author, who would it be and what would you ask?

message 2: by David (last edited Sep 07, 2020 07:44PM) (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2224 comments I think I'd ask Carl Hiaasen how he constantly comes up with characters who are off-kilter but still realistic, so that the reader never says, "A real person would never do that!"

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 658 comments Mod
Quillracer, I’ve seen Hiaasen in person several times & he always says that he takes the characters straight from real people & incidents that have happened in Florida. They’re a crazy bunch down there.

message 4: by David (new)

David Freas (quillracer) | 2224 comments Icewineanne wrote: "They’re a crazy bunch down there."

Probably because of the heat and humidity.

message 5: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 2169 comments Icewineanne, that’s a fact. I live in Tampa, FL. I moved here 2 years ago from New England. There’s some crazies here.

message 6: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Sep 09, 2020 10:19PM) (new)

Icewineanne | 658 comments Mod
Bruce wrote: "Icewineanne, that’s a fact. I live in Tampa, FL. I moved here 2 years ago from New England. There’s some crazies here."

Outside of the serious stuff, the rest of the newscast must be very entertaining!

I'd like to talk to Edgar Allan Poe. I'd have a lot of questions but I'd start with what prompted him to write Murders in the Rue Morgue. I started reading his works when I was very young. (maybe I should move to Tampa :) )

message 8: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Vansant | 46 comments https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mur... If I recall well (because many other writers and composer refer to this story) it found it's base in an old story that went in Paris involving a non-human culprit murdering people... If it's true, I don't know..

message 9: by Nadine (new)

Nadine Vansant | 46 comments I found https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mur.... If I recall well (I read ALL of his stories and books) it was based on non-identified stories going round in Paris about a strange "something" killing people... Other writers and musicians refer to Poe as the "godfather" of the genre

Thank you Nadine.

message 11: by Gem , Moderator & Admin (new)

Gem  | 1273 comments Mod
I've never tried but I do, at the beginning of the year, cull my to be read list. I often wonder, how/why a particular book caught my interest previously and now I have no desire to read it.