Theatre Books and Plays discussion

Comedy Recommendations

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily (new)

Emily Maria (emily_maria) | 2 comments Anyone have any theatre comedy recommendations to read or watch? I honestly need new material to bring some laughter.

message 2: by Radwa (last edited Sep 07, 2020 05:42PM) (new)

Radwa | 1 comments Do you like classic comedies?
I watched Charley's Aunt (1941) about a week ago. It was pretty funny. Based on a play by Brandon Thomas

message 3: by Justin (new)

Justin | 6 comments I think Torch Song Trilogy (by Harvey Fierstein) is absolutely hysterical. Also poignant, but so so so funny. And the movie adaptation is well done too, starring him, Matthew Broderick, and Anne Bancroft.

message 4: by Kenny (new)

Kenny | 168 comments Mod
Great Question! Thank you for posting.
1. Educating Rita Willy Russell
2. Noises Off Michael Frayn
3. A Midsummer Night's Dream William Shakespeare
4. The Man Who Came to Dinner George S. Kaufman & Moss Hart
5. Dinner At Eight George S. Kaufman & Moss Hart

message 5: by şahan (new)

şahan | 1 comments John Cleese names few in his recent interview:

Which writers — novelists, playwrights, critics, journalists, poets — working today do you admire most?

When I started to list my favorite writers, I was surprised to discover they were all primarily playwrights. Michael Frayn for “Copenhagen,” “Noises Off,” “Alphabetical Order,” “Make and Break,” “Donkeys’ Years,” the movie “Clockwise” (!) and the novel “Towards the End of the Morning.” Alan Bennett, first for “Beyond the Fringe” (the funniest show I ever saw), “The History Boys,” “Habeas Corpus,” “The Habit of Art,” “Single Spies,” and on TV “On the Margin” and “Talking Heads.” And finally, Alan Ayckbourn for more than 70 fine comedies, especially “The Norman Conquests,” “Bedroom Farce,” “A Chorus of Disapproval” and “Absurd Person Singular.”

Why all playwrights? Perhaps because in my generation they were all much funnier than the novelists.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/03/bo...