Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Troubled Blood (Cormoran Strike, #5)
This topic is about Troubled Blood
Group Read- Troubled Blood > Group Read - Troubled Blood general No Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Fall reading, big books to curl up with and read, and read. Robert Galbraith's Troubled Blood will weigh in at 944 pages and almost thirty-two hours on audio so let the big fat books of fall begin!
Are you planning on reading this book five in the Cormoran Strike series?
No spoilers on this topic please.

message 2: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 414 comments I’ve only read #1 in this series. Although I enjoyed it, I don’t think I will be prepared to jump ahead so far - and especially considering how long it is!

message 3: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Barbara: you have some terrific books ahead of you then! Troubled Blood will likely be one I don’t care how long it is; bring it on!

Karly | 331 comments Very excited for this! Pre-ordered the hard cover a month ago!

message 5: by Sybotes (last edited Sep 08, 2020 02:28PM) (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments I am so excited, too. I hope the book will be delivered to Germany by Tuesday 15th, but maybe they are planning on some Brexit-delay, so we get a feeling of what that means. But I'll try to catch up. Well, this time Robin probably won't be working in the House of Commons, so it's not her fault.

message 6: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Sybotes- true! Not Robin’s fault; LOL I hope there isn’t a delay to the book release; I hadn’t thought about a potential Brexit related delay.

message 7: by Haley (new)

Ivy Haley | 9 comments I was going to read lethal white does anyone want to read with

message 8: by Russ (new)

Russ | 330 comments I'm not sure. I've never read any of this series. And a thousand pages? I'm hesitant though it does sound interesting.

message 9: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Russ: I suggest you start with the first book and think you will like it!
The Cuckoo's Calling and it is a reasonable 456 pages. :)
Russ wrote: "I'm not sure. I've never read any of this series. And a thousand pages? I'm hesitant though it does sound interesting."

message 10: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Haley: I'm not much on rereading because I have so many books to read for the first time. Good luck on finding a buddy to read it with!
Haley wrote: "I was going to read lethal white does anyone want to read with"

message 11: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments So are we starting? Who has bought their copy already? Will there be a moderator of the group discussion?

message 12: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Hi Sybotes: I used a credit to pre-order an Audible copy. I hope to start it soon. I'm listening to a different audio so need to decide when I'll either switch or finish it.
For the discussion posts, I was watching for the Amazon "look inside the book" to see chapter breakdowns. Looks like seven parts and 73 chapters. Based on the page count it looks like six segments for commenting will work. (Combining parts 6 & 7) I will start those now!
Usually the first person to finish reading a section briefly summarizes on that topic thread to guide the discussion. Bigger books sometimes have more than one person summarizing especially since we all read at different paces.

Sybotes wrote: "So are we starting? Who has bought their copy already? Will there be a moderator of the group discussion?"

message 13: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments Great news. Hope I shall have it today! But I am old, I need a printed copy in my hand. Listening to an audible would make me easily fall asleep.

message 14: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments So ... dissapointingly it will still take some time until the book will be available. But we could discuss: What are our expectations of the new story. Ok, it has been said that Strike investigates a very old crime. What do you think how the relationship of Robin and Strike will develop? I am apprehensive about that. There always was that asshole fiancé - now it becomes more difficult not to make a silly romance of that all. On the other side Cormoran and Robin are interesting people who appreciate and respect each other's personalities. How to handle that, Mr Galbraith? Should we let Robin fall in love with Loreley whom we encountered in the last book?
I so hope the book will be delivered soon. Meanwhile let's speculate - without spoilers, of course.

message 15: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Sybotes: so sorry to hear you are not able to get the book right away. That must be quite disappointing. The discussions threads will be here when you do!
Having just started the book I can say it is great so far. The tone between Robin and Strike is as enjoyable as ever.

Sybotes wrote: "So ... dissapointingly it will still take some time until the book will be available. But we could discuss: What are our expectations of the new story.."

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Just picked up my copy from the library. I'm shocked! usually there is a long line to request a Galbraith release. But Mama Mia! 900+ pages?!?!?!?!?! Yikes-a-hooty, as we used to say over on the AOL M/T board!

message 17: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Carol: lol yikes-a-hoody indeed, but it is sooooooo good!!

Erica | 2 comments I just finished! Excited to get to discussing!

Karly | 331 comments Just got my copy yesterday! Started last night!

Erica | 2 comments The ending..... :)

message 21: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments I do not understand what yikes a hoody means. But why are so few people discussing the book - neither here nor in the threads for the specific parts? While reading so many questions arise ...

message 22: by Vijay (new)

Vijay Kerji | 5 comments I read the first book in the series and liked the way the author wrote. I downloaded the sample of this one on my kindle device and the bar scene caught my attention!

message 23: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments Which bar scene, Vijay? The first chapter with Strike and Polworth?

Hope you enjoy it. If it is not a false conclusion from your name, you are of Indian origin. Later on in the book there will even be a short discussion about Indian history (this is not spoiling anything, i think) - so keep interested.

message 24: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Sybotes: "yikes-a-hooty" - lol good question. It's an expression of incredulity and surprise with a smile. Source, unknown.
As for the pace of comments... I hear you!
I'm savoring as I read, and rereading to summarize so going slower than I'd like, but faster than I'd like too. I want to gallop through, but also want to slow down and smell the roses. ;)

Sybotes wrote: "I do not understand what yikes a hoody means. But why are so few people discussing the book - neither here nor in the threads for the specific parts? While reading so many questions arise ..."

message 25: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments Smell the roses ... yeah that is always a problem. Now that I passed the middle of the book I start again to calculate: Still as many pages to the end as since when Robin did this and that ... And I hesitate to read on or repeat reading some pages just to savour because I am sure the joy will be finished by next weekend - and what am I going to do with my poor life THEN? But again, Still 350 pages - more than Cuccoo's calling: No need to be afraid it ever ends ...
Reading is really a little bit of torture. You just never feel that when seeing a movie.

Bonnie | 427 comments Finally got my book from the library and it is HUGE. I am also not finished with my Louise Penny book yet, so I will be reading with you, but may not get finished by the end of this month.

message 27: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Bonnie: It is huge, but so very good! I look forward to your comments. ;) I hope to start the new Louise Penny soon. Great minds!

Bonnie wrote: "Finally got my book from the library and it is HUGE. I am also not finished with my Louise Penny book yet, so I will be reading with you, but may not get finished by the end of this month."

Mkotch Despite its length, I enjoyed every minute. I know it was controversial due to length and also transgender people seemed up in arms about it (I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but I didn't see that). I love the way the characters are developing with each book and can't wait til the next one.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments Ann wrote: "Sybotes: "yikes-a-hooty" - lol good question. It's an expression of incredulity and surprise with a smile. Source, unknown. ..."

I've been using "yikes" for years, and suddenly someone introduced "yikes-a-hooty" and it caught my attention, so i started using it to indicate a situation that is "yikes on steriod". I don't remember who first used it but it was someone on the old AOL Mystery/Thriller board.

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 8057 comments I'm slowly making my way through this so Bonnie, we can post belatedly together. I'm glad to be reunited with Robin and Strike and a new cast of characters. I won't mention that this was due in the library last month. Get the M/T Bail Fund for Library Skoflaws ready!

message 31: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann (annrumsey) | 14623 comments Marianne: I am right there with you and ready for the next book! The length was not an impediment at all, it could have been longer.

Mkotch wrote: "Despite its length, I enjoyed every minute. I know it was controversial due to length and also transgender people seemed up in arms about it (I don't want to spoil anything for anyone, but I didn't..."

message 32: by Sybotes (new) - added it

Sybotes | 35 comments Oh - glad to see new comments coming here.
I'd like to relive the read while you talk about the chapters. Due to Ann's excellent summaries I will know always what I am "allowed to know" in each of the threads.