Play Book Tag discussion

Footnotes > I Might Be Losing My Mind

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:55PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1367 comments Thank goodness for the "My Group Topics" link on the main page of this group. Otherwise, I would've posted a review for Neverwhere twice.

I've been offline for a few days because I've needed to rest. So, I haven't read or done anything with Goodreads since last Thursday (except for last night). Because of that I had totally forgotten whether I had posted my latest review. I know that sounds pretty reasonable. But, I feel like I'm losing my mind.

I used to have one of the best memories ever. People used to compliment me on it all the time. I never had to study for tests because I just remember the information as it was taught to me. Now, I'm lucky if I remember what I ate for breakfast. Sometimes, I barely remember what my therapist tells me an hour later. It's so frustrating.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:54PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5580 comments I can relate. I have at least 3 books related to memory next to my bed. XXBrain explains some of the hormonal reasons (at all different ages), as well as other topics. Depression is a common reason for brain fog and memory issues, as is stress, pregnancy, sleep apnea, poor sleep in general, many medications, too much sugar, not enough water, Exercise, you name it. I have to agree that exercise and water do help a little, and cough syrup with DM makes me foggy. Thyroid issues can make it worse too. (After 6 months on synthroid I feel so much better, I can't believe it.)

message 3: by Barbara M (new)

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2275 comments OMG! I didn't even know about the My Group Topics. Thank goodness I stopped to read your post. As far as memory is concerned, age is my excuse!

message 4: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Barbara M wrote: "OMG! I didn't even know about the My Group Topics. Thank goodness I stopped to read your post. As far as memory is concerned, age is my excuse!"

Right there with you Barbara!

message 5: by Jenni Elyse (last edited Sep 08, 2020 07:17PM) (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1367 comments NancyJ wrote: "I can relate. I have at least 3 books related to memory next to my bed. XXBrain explains some of the hormonal reasons (at all different ages), as well as other topics. Depression is a common reason..."

It could very much be the depression and anxiety as well as many medications I'm on to counter both and other health issues. I had my thyroid checked 3 months ago and it's en pointe.

Barbara M wrote: "OMG! I didn't even know about the My Group Topics. Thank goodness I stopped to read your post. As far as memory is concerned, age is my excuse!"

I'm glad I could be helpful, Barbara and Joanne!

message 6: by annapi (last edited Sep 09, 2020 12:11AM) (new)

annapi | 5069 comments I never knew about My Group Topics either, so thanks Jenni!

I hope things get better for you soon. At my age I too am familiar with memory problems and how frustrating it can be. It's good you are monitoring your medications because that can also be a factor. I hope Harry Potter will help! My own comfort read is The Chronicles of Prydain when I want a little escape.

message 7: by Sue (new)

Sue | 1181 comments Wow - I never knew about the "My Group Topics" either. Neat feature!

So many things can affect my own memory. And this year has been so hard with stress and just the pure strangeness of it.

message 8: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 6012 comments As a friend used to say ... "That's why they call it mental pause..."

message 9: by Robin P (last edited Sep 09, 2020 07:40AM) (new)

Robin P | 1868 comments I have always been "absent-minded". As soon as we started having to change classes in school in junior high (what middle school was called back then), I would leave things behind. As an adult, I realized that I am somewhere on the ADHD spectrum. It didn't stop me from doing well in school or reading for hours, but in general my mind is going nonstop and I can't always tell which things I did and which things I just thought about. I used to make lists at work of things to do and lose the list. The thing that saved me there was using the Outlook calendar for reminders and then moving the reminders forward as needed so they kept showing up.

My husband has a very different personality but has also been terrible throughout his life at keeping track of stuff, leaving his wallet at the store, phone on top of the car and driving off, etc. So I wonder sometimes how we will know if we start having memory problems related to age!

I used to be very hard on myself for forgetting things I was supposed to do or making silly mistakes from not paying attention. But I have learned to have a sense of humor about it - "Oh well, it seems I have not become perfect yet." This also makes it easier to deal with other people's mistakes by saying "I am so glad to know other people have not yet become perfect either."

And on stress in our current environment - an article today from NY Times is about a dentist who is seeing people with cracked teeth every day, due to grinding of teeth, a result of tension and poor sleep (also bad posture working from home.)

message 10: by NancyJ (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5580 comments Robin, that sounds so familiar! No one is perfect, especially when you realize that many skill sets just don't fit together well. People who are creative and fast thinking do not tend to be well organized or have good memories. People who are good at creating structure and organization tend to have a harder time adapting to change.

When I was young I never forgot appointments, and I didn't have to write everything down. As I got older, and life became more complicated I had to use more organizational tools to get things done. But I still lose lists.

As we get older we gain wisdom to compensate for the things we can't do as well as we once did.

I have a magnifying glass in my kitchen to read small instructions, along with tools that make it easier to open jars. I need to keep tools handy in other rooms to make it easier to remember things. I was so much better organized when I did all my work at one desk.

message 11: by Jenni Elyse (new)

Jenni Elyse (jenni_elyse) | 1367 comments Sue wrote: "Wow - I never knew about the "My Group Topics" either. Neat feature!

So many things can affect my own memory. And this year has been so hard with stress and just the pure strangeness of it."

2020 definitely hasn't helped. I think being a shut in is adding to my memory issues. I need to interact with more people and more things. The problem is that as time goes on the less I want to get back to interacting with people IRL except my husband, therapist, and best friend and her family.

My husband, bless his heart, keeps trying to get me to pick up food or go on a drive with him to get me out of the house. My anxiety kicks in and I don't want to. I live in a state where masks are viewed as optional from people in the government down to most citizens. I have friends who've had COVID and I'm terrified of getting it.

message 12: by Karin (new)

Karin | 7202 comments Book Concierge wrote: "As a friend used to say ... "That's why they call it mental pause...""

Perfect!

Jenni--my memory isn't as good as it used to be, either, although I did used to joke, when I was in university, that I'd make a good absent minded professor.

Many things can affect memory, of course, and I know that sleep problems are a huge factor, plus migraines.

message 13: by Robin P (new)

Robin P | 1868 comments As far as reluctance to interact with people, that was another recent article, something like "We are all socially awkward now". This is not to play down your real personal challenges, Jenni, just reminding all of us to be flexible in judging ourselves and others.