Into the Forest discussion

The Witch of Blackbird Pond
This topic is about The Witch of Blackbird Pond
Previous Group Read Nominations > The Witch of Blackbird Pond no spoilers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
The Witch of Blackbird Pond is the Young Adult winner of our Witchy themed September 15-November 14 Group read!
This thread is where you can share your initial impressions and no spoiler allowed!

Margaret | 3491 comments Mod
I'm on hold for this one, but my library estimates it will be 14 weeks before it comes in.

I did read this many times as a child. It will be interesting to see how much I enjoy it now!

Annette | 253 comments My library also had a long hold wait so I got it on kindle.

message 4: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah (flying_monkeys) | 1009 comments I just read this in March, so I won't be re-reading. But I look forward to hearing others' thoughts and feedback.

message 5: by Jalilah (new)

Jalilah | 4282 comments Mod
I have ordered from the library. I am #3 in the cue.

message 6: by Norma (new) - added it

Norma O'Neil (normasue) this is one of my all time favorites! love this book!

I remember reading it over and over again as a child, followed by a Sunfire book about a witch...Elizabeth. But I strangely can't remember many details about either!

I'm going to listen to it on audio. I've been enjoying listening to children's classics on audio!

Sharon Miller | 1 comments Wow, I loved this book so much and have read it many times. I really think that Elizabeth George Speare is a very interesting author and will bear rich scrutiny regarding her beautiful drama and our more understanding read of colonialism now. I so much appreciated her Historical world building, but looking back it is quite interesting to see her works through the eyes of Native Americans and People of Color. And it is interesting to me to look at historic portrayals of witchyness and how they were or were not remotely related to a continuing practice of the traditional craft. Such a good book!

Sharon wrote: "Wow, I loved this book so much and have read it many times. I really think that Elizabeth George Speare is a very interesting author and will bear rich scrutiny regarding her beautiful drama and ou..."

Oh good, I'm looking forward to reading it now! I wasn't sure how it would hold up to my adult reading self. My hold is currently sitting at 11 weeks.

On a side note, Katherine Arden--author of The Bear and the Nightingale--says she was inspired to write her series by The Witch of Blackbird Pond. Okay, I tried to find a link to that but couldn't, so maybe I'm misremembering. This is her review of it: https://www.goodreads.com/review/show...

message 10: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Zaccaria | 20 comments I tried to get into this but it was just too middle-grade for me. I wish so much I had read it many years ago because I know I would have loved it then.