Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Just Random > Lesser known classics for free in kindle editions

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 693 comments For those that like lesser known classics and don't mind reading them in kindle edition, a publisher is offering many of its public domain titles for free in Amazon. The only drawback I can find is that the description is useless and to know what the book is about you have to click on other editions. Also, some of the classics offered are really weird...

To browse the titles, just go to advanced search in Amazon, type "Good Press" as publisher and order the results from less to more expensive.

I haven't read any of the titles but I found some that look really interesting that I looked up in Goodreads (the Amazon button should take you to the offer):

The Calling of Dan Matthews
Fräulein Schmidt and Mr. Anstruther
The Silent Places by Stewart Edward White
Christopher Carson, Familiarly Known as Kit Carson

The Rulers of the Lakes: A Story of George and Champlain
The Narrative of Lunsford Lane, Formerly of Raleigh, N.C
Erchie, My Droll Friend
Two College Friends by Frederic W. Loring

Among the Head-Hunters of Formosa
Love under Fire by Randall Parrish
Contribution to Passamaquoddy Folk-Lore
My Cave Life in Vicksburg, with Letters of Trial and Travel

Miss Mephistopheles by Fergus Hume
The Black Patch
The Gentleman Who Vanished
The Silver Bullet

Daughters of the Dominion by Bessie Marchant
Aunt Rachel by David Christie Murray
From out the Vasty Deep
Highland Legends

The Master of the Inn
Nooks and Corners being the companion volume to 'From Kitchen to Garret'
The Far North: Exploration in the Arctic Regions
The Ragged Edge

Through the Postern Gate: A Romance in Seven Days
Armorel of Lyonesse: A Romance of To-day
The Sad Shepherd: A Christmas Story
An Old Chester Secret

Trent's Trust and Other Stories by Bret Harte
Autobiography, Letters and Literary Remains of Mrs. Piozzi (Thrale) (2nd ed.) (2 vols.): Edited with notes and Introductory Account of her life and writings

message 2: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1328 comments Thanks, Elvenn! Wow, most of these are really obscure... By the way, thanks to your message I also discovered the advanced search function on Amazon - it was quite hard to find and I thought at first it was maybe not available on Amazon Italy, I had to search for it on Google, lol!

message 3: by Elvenn (new)

Elvenn | 693 comments I forget some countries have their own Amazon site! Argentina doesn't, so we log in Amazon.com (or Amazon in Spanish). But I believe most books are sold through this other site (Mercadolibre), especially since an extra 65% on taxes was added to payments in other currencies (... like in Bookdepository).

Amazon is supposed to always have some kindle deal going on but I always learn about them when they're over... :) But if you know a publisher tends to have deals, using the advanced search is useful.

Some publishers have even added their Amazon deals to their pages, like in this case -> Dean Street Press

message 4: by Marina (new)

Marina (sonnenbarke) | 1328 comments Oh wow, thanks Elvenn, I didn't know that publisher, but I see it's a goldmine! So many great, old books!