What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Short story from a French female writer of the XVIIIth century about racism

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Pauline (last edited Sep 07, 2020 01:22PM) (new)

Pauline | 1 comments I read all short stories by a specific female writer about 15 years ago and want to have another look at them. I am quite sure she wrote in the XVIII century and was originally French. One of these novels was called “Olivia” and describing the life and turmoils of a young black girl adopted into a noble French family and dealing with racism, alone, in all aspects of her life. I remember it as a very detailed and convincing short story, but can’t remember the name of the author. Nor can I find any short story listed with this title and writer profile.

The author would have to be a high ranking female, famous in her time, daring to address a topic no one did in her time. I also remember it had been reprinted quite recently when I read it, it was no antique so this writer is definitely still read to this day. I know this is a very tough one but still wanted to try my luck...thanks in advance to whomever has a clue :)

message 2: by Sammi (new)

Sammi (readingwithsammi) | 59 comments Your description sounds sort of like Belle: The Slave Daughter and the Lord Chief Justice byPaula Byrne or maybe if not that book specifically your book is related to Belle in some way? (see also Dido Elizabeth Belle: A Biography orDido Belle)

message 3: by Becca (last edited Jul 30, 2021 08:34AM) (new)

Becca (beccalikesbooks) | 2051 comments Could it be Ourika by Claire de Duras? She was a French female writer who lived from 1777–1828, and Ourika is about a black woman who was purchased as a child and raised by a noble French family. I've seen it described as a novella - the edition I linked is apparantly only 47 pages, to give an idea of its length.

Edit: since it's out of copyright, you can read the story on Project Gutenberg:
https://www.gutenberg.org/files/49315...