Top Shelf Society discussion

Fahrenheit 451 > The burning of books instead of fires?

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sara (last edited Sep 07, 2020 12:49PM) (new)

Sara (sarasreadingnook) | 101 comments Mod
What were your initial thoughts when reading the synopsis, specifically concerning the burning of books in Bradbury's dystopian world?

Why is this (potentially) relevant or concerning in today’s modern world?

message 2: by Ysenia (new)

Ysenia (itsmeyseniab) | 14 comments Mod
I'm not sure if the book lover in me will be able to handle all of the book burning haha! The issue of censorship is still extremely prevalent in today's society in everything from politics, to the news, to social media. I think it's amazing that this was voted to be the September pick, as Banned Books Week begins on the 27th of this month!

message 3: by Sara (new)

I understand where you are coming from, Ysenia! I had the same thought initially. The thought of biblioclasm (burning books) completely infuriated me (and still does). It does inspire me to do further research into this practice since it has happened and does still take place around the world - not just physically, but metaphorically as well through various avenues of censorship.

message 4: by Sara (new)

Ah I didn’t realized it was banned books week starting the day after our live show!
Ironically (or, not, depending on your perspective) F451 was banned itself.

message 5: by Bridget (new)

Bridget (bridgembooks) | 15 comments That’s so interesting that banned books week is this month as well! I’m also very interested in exploring censorship in this read...it seems even more relevant today in some ways. I was just listening to a podcast about censorship on FaceBook, so I’m curiously to see how the authors commentary holds up many years later with social media being such a large part of people’s lives.

message 6: by Sara (new)

That sounds like such an interesting podcast! And it’s definitely a highly relevant topic, I agree.

message 7: by Kristin (new)

Kristin | 63 comments Mod
I remember when I first read this book and I was like “wow! Imagine a world like this! It would be so scary!” I was younger then, but now that I’m older I have started to see how relevant this book is to our lives. How much of what we read nowadays is censored? I don’t see it a lot in books, but I wonder about it a lot with the news we are informed of...

message 8: by Sara (new)

Censorship is a very interesting concept. For instance, are there instances where censorship are beneficial? What would those be? And who ultimately decides gets to decide this?

message 9: by Laura (new)

Laura | 5 comments Mod
I’ve been meaning to get in on the conversations in this group for so long now but better late than never. I’ve had a great time reading through everyone’s comments.

Censorship and book burning is such an interesting topic and made a million time more complicated by the advent of the internet. We live in a world so profoundly different from the one that Ray Bradbury was writing in (and he only died in 2012). I wonder what would be his take on the age of social media and fake news.

I recently finished watched the documentary ”The Social Dilemma” on Netflix and drew a lot of connections between the documentary and Fahrenheit 451. It’s almost as if we live in a world opposite from that of Fahrenheit 451. Instead of having no access to books we have infinite access to books and media. We are bombarded with so much information on a daily basis that we Sony’s know what to believe anymore. The role of journalist and authors in interpreting and helping us make sense of this information is becoming increasingly vital. . We are so overwhelmed with information that we don’t know what to believe anymore. The role of journalists and auth
information is becoming increasingly important.

message 10: by Sara (new)

Those are very good points, Laura! And great connections being drawn. Open question (a would you rather type scenario): would you rather have access to infinite knowledge or be censored so profoundly you essentially had little to know idea that knowledge even existed?

I have been thinking a lot about the concept- ignorance is bliss — but is it?

:) I need to watch that documentary now!