Play Book Tag discussion

Circling the Sun
This topic is about Circling the Sun
September 2020: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Circling the Sun by Paula McLain - 2 stars

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Joy D | 3853 comments Circling the Sun by Paula McLain - 2 stars - My Review

I had recently read and very much enjoyed West with the Night, Beryl Markham’s memoir, so I decided to follow it up with this historical fiction based on her life. While the plot of Circling the Sun follows the events of Beryl Markham’s early experiences, the primary focus is on her love life. I think the emphasis on romantic relationships detracts from Markham’s remarkable achievements. I kept waiting for more about her interest in aviation. It is included near the end almost as an afterthought. There are many positive reviews of this book. I think it will appeal to those that enjoy historical romances, but for me it was just ok.

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) | 5999 comments I agree. I much preferred Markham's memoir.

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8841 comments And I just adored this one. Never read the other.....

Joy D | 3853 comments Book Concierge wrote: "I agree. I much preferred Markham's memoir."
Glad you enjoyed the memoir, too, BC.

Joy D | 3853 comments Amy wrote: "And I just adored this one. Never read the other....."
I know a lot of people really loved this book. I sometimes feel funny writing a tepid review of a book others love, but it just was not my cup of tea as they say.