Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available for New Adult, Romance, Fantasy and Young Adult

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alexandra (last edited Sep 07, 2020 11:53AM) (new)

Alexandra McLaughlin | 8 comments Hi!

I am a bit of a reading fanatic and am interested in getting into beta reading. I am fairly open to all genres except for mystery and horror. As I write Young Adult fiction, I am very interested in it.

I am a new beta reader, so please feel free to give me guidance on what specifically you are looking for. Please note that I will not correct grammar/typos, but I won't mind them being there since this is a rough draft!

You can message me on Goodreads, comment below or shoot me an e-mail at alexandra.mclaughlin14@outlook.com

Thank you for your time!

message 2: by Molly (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (96k words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

Five Kingdoms and five species are on the brink of war in the land of Corrail: a territory with nothing to offer but violence and hate. When the Monstro King issues an ultimatum for the other Kingdoms to either join him or go to war, those traits intensify and the possibility of war becomes a reality. 

Trying to stop the Kingdoms from wiping out one another is Raven, a badly burned Mundus who wants nothing more than for the Mundus King, her being one of his victims from his cowardice ruling. Helping her is an anxiety-ridden Shifter named Colt and an overly strict Farian called Richard.

The three different species have a simple plan: destroy the Monstro villages - a Kingdom known for its terrifying nights, brutal King, and horrific subjects - and work their way across the map until a new Mundus Ruler is crowned and the threat of war is gone. However, their plot is halted when Death derails their path and causes them to go into the Mundus Kingdom, not liking them destroying his favorite of the Kingdoms. The trio changes tactics but keeps their initial goal at the forefront: revenge and peace. 

Please PM me :)

message 3: by Author56 (new)

Author56 | 98 comments Hi Alexandra!
I'm looking for a beta reader for my novel On the top of Mt. Parbata, a YA novel set in a fictional culture.

Detori hates the idea of marriage. She decides to do the only other option; become a priest. Even better, being a priest would mean moving to a monastery, a place where she could hide her identity as a refugee and avoid the hatred she's grown up with.

Leona would do anything to keep her friendship with Detori. Including going to the monastery with her.

But at the monastery, xenophobic priests there are plotting to destroy all of Detori's people. Including Detori. Leona receives information about their plan, and has to save her friend before it's too late.

Let me know if you're interested.

message 4: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 5 comments Hey Alexandra! I'm looking to shop around my 96k adult fantasy/romance by the next PitMad, and I'd love your perspective on it. It's been beta'd before, and now that I've completed my fourth revision, I want to see if those edits are working. Here's my query letter:

It’s a shitty time to be a witch in America—just ask Cora Somerville. Neighbors turn on neighbors, riots bubble up across the country, and a government sanctioned effort to put down magical "domestic terrorists" like her is the cherry on top of it all.

Now, a decade after dodging the witch hunters who seized her twin brother and mother, Cora returns to Los Angeles to care for her aunt. Her fragile new normal falls apart when she’s arrested by Theo Vega, the hunter set on exposing her coven's refugee-smuggling ring. But that’s only half the problem: Theo’s an old childhood friend she thought was gone for good.

When Theo lets Cora escape, he'll need to take a long, hard look at his loyalties. And Cora needs to exploit his growing attraction to her if she wants to discover what he knows about her mother's and brother's fate—plus protect her aunt from sharing it. But a bit of treason, spying, and the dicey business of liberating a secret witch prison? Not half as crazy or stupid as falling for a man who represents everything her coven is working to destroy.

ALL OF OUR NEVERS, my debut novel complete at 96,000 words, is an adult romantic suspense/contemporary fantasy told by both hunter and hunted, with The Southern Vampire Mysteries’ fraught supernatural politics woven between the slow-burn romance and action-adventure of Ilona Andrews’ Sapphire Flames.

Thanks, and let me know if you're interested!

- Sarah

message 5: by Abby (new)

Abby Wadlington | 21 comments Hi, Alexandra! I'm currently in need of beta readers for a YA fantasy manuscript. If you'd be interested and available, I'd love your feedback! Whether you could read a few chapters or the whole book, any help would be greatly appreciated! I'll leave a blurb down below. Message me if you're interested!

Title: Stellar
Word Count: Roughly 93K
Summary: Lucine Callisto, daughter of an astronomer and hater of all things galactic, discovers that she is descended from the moon. With the help of other Stellars--children born of galactic bodies, she must find a way to stop a soul-stealing Sun descendant from further wreaking havoc in her town.

message 6: by Megan (new)

Megan Reiffenberger (mreiffen) | 4 comments Hi Alexandra, I sent you an email!

message 7: by Amy (new)

Amy Alves (amyalvesauthor) | 7 comments Hi Alexandra
I emailed you about my contemporary romance. Let me know if you’re interested.
Thanks!

message 8: by Leah (new)

Leah Thomas | 3 comments Hi,
Just wanted to add that I popped you an email.

Thanks so much!

message 9: by L. (new)

L. N. | 8 comments Hello,
I've written a 77K fantasy/fairy tale retelling. In my book, a woman walks into a labyrinth that transports her to an Abbey that's trapped in time by two warring spells. The owner of the Abbey is a beast who believes he is a monster.

Here is the blurb:
A woman slumbering in a tower. A man trapped in a beastly form. A tourist trapped in a fairytale.

Amara always dreamed of adventure but never expected to live one. When she went on her first adventure on a solo trip to England, she was excited to explore all the places from her favorite books, shows, and movies. She never thought she'd find herself living in an actual fairy tale.

Evelyn sleeps without peace or rest. Unless help arrives quickly, everything she’s fought for will be lost.

Philip has been trapped in his nightmare for what seems like eternity. When another woman exits the labyrinth and becomes trapped in the enchantment, it’s just another chance to be disappointed.

Can Evelyn be released from her arduous sleep? Is Philip just a beast or is he truly a monster? Can Amara find the truth in the fantasy?

Please let me know if you're interested in reading my book.

message 10: by Clary (new)

Clary Logan | 3 comments L. wrote: "Hello,
I've written a 77K fantasy/fairy tale retelling. In my book, a woman walks into a labyrinth that transports her to an Abbey that's trapped in time by two warring spells. The owner of the Abb..."

L,
i'd be happy to beta for your book. i should mention that I have not done beta reading before though as most on this forum I am an avid reader of fantasy genre and love retellings of fairytales. please email me at claryz2021@gmail.com if I can help.

message 11: by John (new)

John Carey | 10 comments Hi there!

I've got a "mature" fantasy (meaning people swear on occasion, reference drugs and alcohol, sex, other adult themes, etc) currently sitting around little over 140k words.

It primarily involves thieving, plotting, and general skullduggery.

If you'd be interested in helping out just give me a shout!

message 12: by E.A. (new)

E.A. Wright | 13 comments Would you like to read my new ya fantasy novel? Maybe give me your impressions and some feedback? Go as in-depth or as shallow in your critique as you’d like — I’m looking for anyone interested in #mythology and #epicfantasy!

Join the community of beta readers here: http://EAWrightsBooksbetareaders.carr...

Genre: YA Epic Fantasy
Word Count: 80k
Book Summary: Kenley lived a plain, ordinary existence, until her village is burned to ashes and her family killed by a murderous group of underworldlings called the Trucidatio. She soon discovers that she is the long lost descendant of a usurped Queen and destined for so much more than her humble roots supposed.

With the help of new companions, and a little something extra from the Gods of Old, she finds destiny will take her to far off lands, through unexpected challenges, up against dangerous foes, and to greater transformations than Kenley could have ever imagined.

message 13: by E.L. (new)

E.L. Waring | 79 comments I have a mystery/young adult novel I think you would really enjoy. So far, beta readers have given it 8-10 out of 10!

Have you heard of the Dunites? You probably haven't, but you no doubt have felt their effect on your life. Something else people don't know about is the secret they kept about something they found in the remote sand dunes they lived in.

You probably have heard and Ansel Adams, Cecil B Demille, and John Steinbeck? Unknown to most is they would never have been the famous individuals they became if it hadn't been for the Dunites, the special place they lived, and the secret they only knew. The Dunites lived in the miles of sand dunes found on the central coast of California back in the 1920s and 30s. At the time, they were well known, and might be likened to the Hippies of the 1960s, just well ahead of their time. They influenced dance, entertainment, politics and religion, influence we see as a normal part of culture today. Strange people don't know who they are anymore.

How did this small group of odd individuals have such an influence on society?

My manuscript explores these amazing people and the incredible place they lived by means of a modern day, semi fictional 14 year old boy. Tristen discovers his recently deceased father's hidden journal about the Dunites and how he tried to discover their secrets when he was a teenager, but soon finds his discoveries unknowingly continued until his death, perhaps the cause of his demise. The boy begins a search for these secrets in the miles of dunes, a search that intensifies with the discovery of an elusive old man said to be the remaining Dunite, and still living hidden there. The secret this old man knows has the power to change mankind!

There are also many historical and modern photos included, adding a further sense of reality, blurring the line between fiction and non-fiction. If this is a manuscript you would like to read, I would love to get your comments! Please let me know of your interest.

Gene

message 14: by Marion (new)

Marion (mariwari) | 6 comments hi, was wandering if you're still avaliable for beta reading and if your offer still stands.
I'm about to publish my first book in English. It's part of a YA Series, originally written in German and translated by my hubby who is a professional translator for indie authors. Nevertheless I'd like to have a native speaker have a closer look at it.

Genre: Romance; Angst; New Adult; YA
Number or words: 100k word
POV: Frist Person (epistolary novel); exception prologue = 3rd person
No real sex scenes (just kissing and making out) yet
Level of violence: only allusions to past events but no explicit descriptions yet
No matter if you are interested in the entire book or just some chapters. I'd appreciate any kind of help.

That's the blurb of the book
I love you.
To you I may write that. After all, I've already lost you.

On the outside, 16-year-old Sandra leads a fantastic life as a successful member of a band in San Francisco. Hardly anyone knows how hard it has been to get there and what pain Sandra tries to keep secret from the world.

But then her hard-won happiness is shattered in one fell swoop when she learns of the tragic death of her cousin Dominic, her only support and constant source of encouragement. In desperation, Sandra writes letters to Dominic in order to keep him alive for her.

Dominic's best friend Alex is there for Sandra from the beginning and supports her constantly. But can she get involved now, of all times, with a boy who is known for breaking hearts?

An epistolary novel with a lot of emotion that shows how abruptly life can change and how one can find new courage and draw strength even in the darkest moments.
Thanks in advance.