Romance Readers Reading Challenges discussion

Our Secret Wedding (Sky High Scaffolders, #1)
This topic is about Our Secret Wedding
Buddy Reads > Laura, Aiswrya & Jans - Our Secret Wedding starting Sept 7, 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 73 (73 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Our Secret Wedding by H.J. Perry

It's free on amazon :)

message 2: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:39AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Look forward to this one, been on my tbr for a little while 😊

message 3: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Me too!

So, it has 49 chapters + epilogue. The book is not very long, so I think chapter length wouldn’t be too long either. Can we do 10 chapters a day?

message 4: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 08:56AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments I was thinking the same, so yeah 10 a day works for me xx

message 5: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments 10 a day works for me too. :)

message 6: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Finished the first 10 chapters, its light fast paced and easy reading so far. I like the characters, got soft feels and chemistry - humor as well which is always a bonus 😊

Ch1 to end of ch 10
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments I agree, it's fast paced and light!

Chapters 1 through 10
(view spoiler)

message 8: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 02:43PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments I completely agree on everything!

(view spoiler)

message 9: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything! ..."

Oooh speaking of short, well-written reads, have you read Alaska by Cate Ashwood? I read that during the Bachelor challenge and it was awesome. The characters were great and the chemistry was off the charts!

message 10: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 02:55PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Aiswrya wrote: "Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything! ..."

Oooh speaking of short, well-written reads, have you read Alaska by Cate Ashwood? I read that during the Bache..."

Oh looks good! I enjoyed the last book i read from this author, definitely does amazing with shorter books. I read The Mistletoe Effect xx

Thanks for rec, added to my tbr.. which seems to have exploded in the last month. Keeps getting closer to 400, hope to keep less. But i keep starting series and more great book recs, also love a pretty cover so im weak 😂

message 11: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments The only other m/m I have read is Wolfsong by T.J.Klune. This one has a contrasting 180 degree difference with the characters from T J Klune's world. And I am extremely in love with it.
(view spoiler)

message 12: by J (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything!

The generalisations definitely annoyed me so i tried to kind of ignore them, along with the fact that just because Connor hasn't been with a man automatically as..."

I don't know why, this generalization was important to show it indeed is difficult for a gay man to come out and the society is tough on them.

Lee even questions at one point, how many gay men have you hired in work and Connor goes blank. He literally doesn't realizes it and thinks gay men would rather prefer more artistic works.

These moments scored point for Lee in my heart. The truth is the generalization had hurt me, but it pointed out the reality too.

message 13: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Oh awesome, im glad to introduce to more mm and yeah this is complete opposite end to tj klunes stuff i think.

I've read primarily m/m or fanfiction the last few years, so this story fairly light hearted feel good simple for me with the variety ive read. But definitely great for new to mm, as pure feel good vibes.

Your story was interesting and love hearing how is in different locations, people as for me i never really worried about coming out much since my family have always been rather relaxed. Although i think they forget since i havent really done romance or been in relationship, i think would shock my dad if ever actually brought a woman home.

Its tragic to me how much the world is still so cruel in places sadly.

Love the quote you mentioned!

message 14: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "Oh awesome, im glad to introduce to more mm and yeah this is complete opposite end to tj klunes stuff i think.

I've read primarily m/m or fanfiction the last few years, so this story fairly light ..."

Yeah, Laura.

I am enjoying all that feel-good vibes. I think I am not the best judge of the book. But my experience reading it is very splendid.

message 15: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:16PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything!

The generalisations definitely annoyed me so i tried to kind of ignore them, along with the fact that just because Connor hasn't been with a man au..."

Oh i understand in a way, but it feels stereotypical to me and thats a nope for me. As yes their are common experiances, but its not a constant. Also do people announce their sexuality in job applications? I just feel he could have hired, how do we know as not like you instant know someones gay when meet them... Also by looks of the series, majority of these construction crew turn out to be gay or bi 😂

I do understand Lees fears though and concerns as impact his work too, just didn't like how it was presented. Also im probably too idealistic and think the world/society more accepting these days, although as you say sadly thats not the truth everywhere and still much to imorove.

message 16: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:14PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "Oh awesome, im glad to introduce to more mm and yeah this is complete opposite end to tj klunes stuff i think.

I've read primarily m/m or fanfiction the last few years, so this story..."

Im glad your enjoying it!

Oh everyones judge of book is valid, different experiances and views are interesting. Thats what makes fun! A great one to get into the genre more as all the feel good vibes 😊

message 17: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything!

The generalisations definitely annoyed me so i tried to kind of ignore them, along with the fact that just because Connor hasn't been ..."

I think this is again a personal experience stuff.

What I felt was, he didn't feel safe in his environment to come out and was very insecure about how he would be judged.

Part of his life revolves around his work. So, when his colleagues ramble about wife, kids, and stuff, he can't openly admit about his personal life. He is always distant from them.

It is important that as the boss of a company, Connor/his father, should have taken initiative to break that norm. Because I would expect my manager to know that my husband is sick at home, or what struggles I face, or how I may not be able to come to work with me being pregnant. So, many personal connections will automatically associate to work.

Now, Lee can't do that. He can't tell anything true about his personal life.

I think that's why he asked if there were any gays hired for work. It is quite hard.

message 18: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Jans wrote: "The only other m/m I have read is Wolfsong by T.J.Klune. This one has a contrasting 180 degree difference with the characters from T J Klune's world. And I am extremely in love with it.

Initially..."

Oh, I'm so glad you like this book!

message 19: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Jans wrote: I don't know why, this generalization was important to show it indeed is difficult for a gay man to come out and the society is tough on them.

Lee even questions at one point, how many gay men have you hired in work and Connor goes blank. He literally doesn't realizes it and thinks gay men would rather prefer more artistic works...."

That's definitely one way to look at it. The way I saw it, Connor not knowing how many gay men are in his company scores him brownie points because honestly, one's sexuality should have nothing to do with their job. I'm not sure if the author implied Connor thought gay men would prefer more artistic careers and I just missed it, but I didn't get this impression. To me, it sounded as if Connor definitely doesn't care because when Lee asked him if his job was on jeopardy, Connor was genuinely confused when he said "Why would it?"

message 20: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Laura wrote: "Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "Oh awesome, im glad to introduce to more mm and yeah this is complete opposite end to tj klunes stuff i think.

I've read primarily m/m or fanfiction the last few years, ..."

Agreed! I haven't had this much fun on buddy reads before :) You guys are awesome!

message 21: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything!

The generalisations definitely annoyed me so i tried to kind of ignore them, along with the fact that just because Conno..."

Aww, are you pregnant? Congratulations!

message 22: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:33PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Thats very true and competely understandable, i do feel thats why he probably doesnt feel their close friendship as much since his been hiding large part of his life.

Although i disagree with the part about boss asking about personal life, thats kind of a nope to me unless essential for them to know or he feels comfortable to share.

Work don't need to know all personal life, i wouldn't expect them to know everything about. Id only tell essential, but yeah i don't feel sexuality boss needs to know that. If asked fair enough, but its not something really just announce. Thats just me though, i seperate work and personal easily 😂

But yeah i can feel Lees fear, uncertainty in work as you say surrounded by men talking about things he has no connection too. Unable to discuss his own life, definitely makes feel disconnected.

I liked the question i just don't feel like its something instantly know, as like Lee people don't always announce their sexuality so not really any true answer to the question. Connor doesn't know if he has or not, since he doesn't ask people. But like you say maybe he should be more forward in that.

message 23: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Aiswrya wrote: "Jans wrote: I don't know why, this generalization was important to show it indeed is difficult for a gay man to come out and the society is tough on them.

Lee even questions at one point, how many..."

Aiswrya wrote: "Jans wrote: I don't know why, this generalization was important to show it indeed is difficult for a gay man to come out and the society is tough on them.

Lee even questions at one point, how many..."

I think I mixed two different instances.

I agree, Aish, when Lee worries if it would impact his job, Connor gets quite puzzled and it makes us feel Connor doesn't care.

But I think, it is implied in Connor's first chapter through inner monologue that in construction works, it is all straight men as machoism is much preferred.

"Who would think it? Construction workers were not gay, and Connor thought that was a fact. He would have put money on it, up until that very night. Obviously loads of guys were gay, and that was okay. On the TV, in films, in sitcoms, and in pop groups. Not just celebrities. Ordinary local men were visible at night in the bars and restaurants too. Just not among their crowd of blokes" ~Connor
"Scaffolders were a macho bunch of straight guys and, as he walked home, Connor felt pretty foolish. He'd assumed gay men chose other careers. Teachers, nurses, and whatever it was people did when they worked in offices wearing smart suits"

Which is why I felt, the generalization had a point in those characters.

One's sexuality should never be a criterion in the workplace. I agree. Neither the employer should wonder about his employee's sexuality, nor that the employee should disclose it. That's quite creepy.

My point is, care should be taken from the management to involve everyone.

message 24: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Aiswrya wrote: "Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "Jans wrote: "Laura wrote: "I completely agree on everything!

The generalisations definitely annoyed me so i tried to kind of ignore them, along with the fact that just ..."

Oh, no. But there were many instances when I was in need of leave and I had to explain to my manager the reason.

One of my colleagues had to try IVF way, and she often needs to visit hospitals in the evening, so she had been open about it to all of us. We would lower her burden a little, with all that hormones, you know. Which is why I felt it would become extremely uncomfortable for people who had to aggressively hide their identity.

message 25: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:54PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Oh yeah i remember that quote, it made me rather uncomfortable too. But I guess it felt like he was coming to realisation there, that he was wrong for assuming those things and makes him feel stupid for not even considering it. I think Connor is just rather naive and foolish overall, but makes me smile.

Like his move on Lee, it was wrong but he didn't even think and then tried to correct himself. Also his like comments on guys and presuming other men had the same thoughts.

But yeah agreed Care should be taken to involve everyone, i feel like Lee is very good at blending in through by the sounds of it as mentioned he would say girls for lots of his past relstions etc when actually men. So i think noone probably noticed, as sad as seems... His good at hiding, tragic really.

message 26: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "Oh yeah i remeber that quote, it made me rather uncomfortable too. But I guess it felt like he was coming to realisation there, that he was wrong for assuming those things and makes him feel stupid..."

I know, right. Connor is very naive and I like him so much.

I like the layers the author has created for both the characters. Both lived a very different life. And I think, I missed pointing out, how Connor was extremely open in exploring his sexuality with Lee as his mate. Although, he made some stupid, naive and foolish moves, it just proves, he trusts him and already has great confidence in him.

message 27: by Laura (last edited Sep 07, 2020 03:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Agreed!

I forgot to mention the france incident/memory which you said about, i too am very curious to what that shall be about as think your right about being rather important. The layers and differences betweem them are great as you say. I look forward to seeing their relationship develop, expecting lots of sweet moments 😊

message 28: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Ahh, yeah that comment from Connor in chapter 1 wasn’t cool.

message 29: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Have you guys read any medieval fantasy fiction?

I have done ASOIAF A Game of Thrones, which is by far my favorite of all times.
I am planning to do The Wheel of Time Series The Eye of the World.

In the romance section, I have been trying to give a revisit on The Winter King

Have you read any of the above?

message 30: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Not sure what the first one is. I’ve read game of thrones but abandoned series when that prince dude dies and the mother goes half blind. That was book 4 I think?

message 31: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Aiswrya wrote: "Not sure what the first one is. I’ve read game of thrones but abandoned series when that prince dude dies and the mother goes half blind. That was book 4 I think?"

Do you mean Prince Oberyn and Lady Stoneheart? I have read the series some five times, I suppose.

BTW, The Winter King is a romance genre. And it is good. I like the MCs.

Let me know if you are interested. I want to read it again. Quite long book but I have read it within two days, some time back. The writing is also good.

message 32: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments I honestly couldn’t tell you, it’s been about 9 years since I read it ☹️

The winter knight sounds interesting, but that trope isn’t something I enjoy reading. Niki has it on her TBR though, maybe check with her?

message 33: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Aiswrya wrote: "I honestly couldn’t tell you, it’s been about 9 years since I read it ☹️

The winter knight sounds interesting, but that trope isn’t something I enjoy reading. Niki has it on her TBR though, maybe..."

No problem. I have weird habit of rereading favorites. :)

Yeah. I saw it just now. Will get in contact with her.

Laura, how about you?

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments I think i have read some medieval in the past, but none come to mind. I ussually go more ancient rome, gladiators and vikings.

Game of thrones never interested me and too much tragedy, im all for a happy ending. So not for me sorry.

I had a look at the winter king, but not really jumping out at me for now. Sorry, i do have bad habit since rarely go for mf these days in general xx

message 35: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "I think i have read some medieval in the past, but none come to mind. I ussually go more ancient rome, gladiators and vikings.

Game of thrones never interested me and too much tragedy, im all for ..."

Oh, no problem, Laura. I guess I will go for a repeat. Do let me know the medieval books you have mentioned. I am quite invested in the history. :)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Sweet, i shall have a look through shelfs when home and see what can recommend. I don't know if any be close to the history, as while i enjoy a lot of the ancient rome and greek knowledge. Im no scholar on most history, while i do love it 😂

message 37: by Laura (last edited Sep 08, 2020 12:40PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Goign to start the next 20 chapters, but before that thought would let know the books... Going from my read shelf here are a few medieval romance ive enjoyed 😊

Laiden's Daughter
Grave Mercy
Wildwing
The Greatest Lover in All England

message 38: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Oh, grave mercy was a good one!

message 39: by Laura (last edited Sep 08, 2020 12:46PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Yeah was a 5 star read for me, although been years i still need to catch up on the series.. Ive read the 2nd book - still need to to try the 3rd and then the duology looks great too 💕

message 40: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments I’ve not read too many historical romances. The only medieval one I can think of is a kingdom of dreams. But I don’t know if it has any historical accuracy. The romance is beautiful though. Judith McNaught is an amazing story teller.

message 41: by Laura (last edited Sep 08, 2020 02:21PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Just read the next 10 chapters 😊

Ch 11 to end of ch 20
(view spoiler)

message 42: by Laura (last edited Sep 08, 2020 03:11PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Oh and thought would mention some my mm challenge books for month in case any interest in buddy reading for any of them.

Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Claire Castle Love in Spades (Four Kings Security, #1) by Charlie Cochet The Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1) by Kaje Harper

For mf here are a few i want to try out soon too
The Season by Sarah MacLean Love, Lies and Spies by Cindy Anstey In Too Deep by Dakota Issacs

message 43: by J (last edited Sep 08, 2020 06:10PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments ch: 11 to 20:

(view spoiler)

message 44: by J (new) - rated it 3 stars

J | 263 comments Laura wrote: "Goign to start the next 20 chapters, but before that thought would let know the books... Going from my read shelf here are a few medieval romance ive enjoyed 😊

Laiden's Daughter
[b..."

Thanks a lot.
I think someone once said about Grave Mercy. I will begin with that. :)

message 45: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments I literally just got off work ☹️ I didn’t get any reading done today. I’ll try to catch up tomorrow

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments No problem, i hop you will enjoy it 😊

(view spoiler)

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Oh that sucks Aiswyra, don't worry i almost thought i wouldn't get mine read since was so tired. Hopefully you can catch up today 😊

message 48: by Aiswrya (new)

Aiswrya | 1660 comments Laura wrote: "Oh and thought would mention some my mm challenge books for month in case any interest in buddy reading for any of them.

Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Claire CastleThe Rebuilding Year (The Rebuilding Year, #1) by Kaje Harper. But I highly doubt I can do this and manage amazing race. So, if you don't get to it until after the challenge, I'd like to join you :)

message 49: by Laura (last edited Sep 09, 2020 08:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Aiswrya wrote: "Walking in a Winter Wonderland by Claire Castle[bookcover..."

Oh sweet, im happy just to share ideas. Sadly these my picks for mm sh challenge september so need to read by end of month.

But im sure we will find others to buddy read after race 😊

message 50: by Laura (last edited Sep 09, 2020 11:30AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Laura  H (shardsofromance) | 1928 comments Ch 21 to end of ch 30
(view spoiler)

« previous 1