Christian Speculative Fiction discussion

Discussion & Reflections > Xulon press

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments Hi Everyone.
Has anyone heard of Xulon press? I have just downloaded a publishing guide, but I think they may be expensive. Has anyone used them, are they any good, or are they dodgy?
Thanks in advance.
Blessings,
Dan.

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 56 comments There's no need these days to use what used to be called vanity publishers, i.e. ones where you pay for them to publish your book.

Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing is so easy these days, and totally free, and I suggest you investigate this way of publishing first.

message 3: by Steve (new)

Steve Pillinger | 514 comments Mod
Anna Faversham wrote: "Amazon Kindle Direct Publishing is so easy these days, and totally free, and I suggest you investigate this way of publishing first. ..."

I agree, and I've only ever used KDP myself. But you'd need something different if you were wanting to publish with all types of eBooks and on multiple platforms. I believe Smashwords does this, but I've never tried them.

Can you say why you were thinking of Xulon, Daniel?

message 4: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments Thank you Anna. I was looking to self publish through Lulu anyway. This has confirmed what I plan to do.

message 5: by Anna (last edited Sep 07, 2020 10:50AM) (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 56 comments A long time ago I heard Lulu was good and I've no reason to think otherwise now.

I know someone who paid $5,000 to publish a book and she ended up with no proper editing (the prologue was placed where the epilogue usually goes, for instance) and there was hardly any marketing, and she ended up, after the 4th failure, very much regretting the expense she had gone to. She now publishes through KDP and is happy.

message 6: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments I downloaded a free resource for Xulon c/o Dove.org. I don't think I will use them. I saw a review for Lulu via self publishing with dale on YouTube. I like the fact they only take a 20% cut for printed copy and only 10% on ebooks. They publish on KDP, Barnes&Noble, Google books and apple. plus a handful of bookstores.

message 7: by Steve (new)

OK, that's nice! Much wider exposure than just Amazon. And do they market the books as well, or is that up to the author?

message 8: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments I think they do market the books, but there will still be a bit of legwork from me. I am looking forward to that, when the day finally arrives. Hit 10000 words with Spice Traders yesterday!

message 9: by Steve (new)

Sounds good—I'll be interested to hear how you find them when/if you do go that way. Congrats on the Spice Traders progress!

message 10: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments I will keep you posted. I have decided to plan the next scene, so I won't be writing until tomorrow. I have mate coming over today anyway.

message 11: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 333 comments Daniel wrote: "I downloaded a free resource for Xulon c/o Dove.org. I don't think I will use them. I saw a review for Lulu via self publishing with dale on YouTube. I like the fact they only take a 20% cut for pr..."

FYI, if you publish your e-book through LULU rather than KDP, you can't list your books on KU (Kindle Unlimited). I make most of my profits through KU. There is wider distribution but it's still hard to beat Amazon's 80% of the market, so you need to weigh the options. Just thought I'd share that.

message 12: by Anna (new)

Anna Faversham (annafaversham) | 56 comments A timely reminder C.S!

message 13: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments Thanks for the advice, I think I will still publish with Lulu. I like the idea of having wider distribution and I would need to buy a bunch of ISBN if I went with KDP and then decided I wanted to be on other platforms.

message 14: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 333 comments Daniel wrote: "Thanks for the advice, I think I will still publish with Lulu. I like the idea of having wider distribution and I would need to buy a bunch of ISBN if I went with KDP and then decided I wanted to b..."

Just thought I'd leave you one more link FYI.
https://blog.reedsy.com/lulu-publishing/

message 15: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments Thanks C.S. Lulu may not be so good after all.

message 16: by Dan (new)

Dan Saunders (danguitarbooks) | 31 comments KDP/Amazon banned me from my book portal of 28 books 2 months ago. They sell my books through world-wide distribution channels with retailers having crazy prices, like 150 Euro for a 120-160-page book. (Amazon may have 400 and 900 dollars for a book - some bad errors?) They cut my tiny monthly 10-year royalties 2 months ago. The vendors and distributors are almost rude when I ask them to take my paperbacks off their sales. I have to order my own author copies for retail prices. My books are educational and may be in any combinations of the five most popular languages. Authors! Think twice before publishing on KDP/Amazon. My 75-page claim is on the desk of Amazon lawyers. I am going through the ordeal researching how to end this big injustice to my intellectual property. I wrote my first book from 1995 to 2004. I self-published on CreateSpace from 2010 to 2017. I am an experienced educator (languages) and I have spent years creating my books and my UTube channel sharing knowledge with people.And this is where I am now - robbed and humiliated. The worst in communication in my correspondence are AbeBooks, Ingram, Barnes and Noble. Book Depository at least are compassionate, although they do not take off my titles from their sales. Zoia Eliseyeva on August 7, 2020

message 17: by C.S. (new)

C.S. Wachter | 333 comments Daniel wrote: "KDP/Amazon banned me from my book portal of 28 books 2 months ago. They sell my books through world-wide distribution channels with retailers having crazy prices, like 150 Euro for a 120-160-page b..."
So sorry to hear of your problems. There aren't many choices for authors and I think it's only going to get worse. So sad!